Freshly bathed

Freshly bathed

February 4, 2008

Watching the tornado

They have to stand at the tub after bath time and watch the water drain. The “water tomato” is very exciting. And also threatening. They are never really sure that it won’t suddenly suck them down the drain.

Comments

1. Anna says:

Awww! My little kiddo has the same monkey towel. Man, I love the pictures of your home. I know renovation is hard…but I would never be able to leave that house when the rooms are all so beautiful.

2. Christy says:

My dad used to be even more scared of claw-foot tubs than the drain! He still talks about the “evil tub” that his grandmother used to have…

3. Headless Mom says:

Precious! Mine do this too, but usually from the tub, refusing to get out until it is gone.

Can you come decorate my house? Your bathroom is gorgeous!

4. Sarah says:

Too cute! Love Miles’ towel … at least I’m assuming that’s him under there!

5. kate says:

that “water tomato” is very scary.

Wee Wittle has to get out before the plug can be pulled!

6. Stephanie says:

Okay, that’s adorable.

And I have bathroom envy. Is that weird?

7. Victoria says:

I completely understand.

I have to get out of the bath before it gets to the end and sometimes my heel gets stuck in the sucky drain thing!

8. chickadee says:

my bathroom never looks like that when the kids get a bath. where are all the barbies littering the floor in all their nudity? where are the puddles of water? where are the bottles of shampoo that have been knocked down onto the floor?

that must be a fake picture. or you have really good bathers.

9. Natalie says:

So that is a very, very cute picture, but surely you are going to be swamped with folks who have tub envy. You know that, right? :)

10. Estee says:

What a cute shot!! Love that monkey towel! My kids make a mad dash out of the bathroom so as not to have to deal with the “bathtub monster.” :)

11. Shelly says:

My 3 little men do the same thing.

12. jen says:

What a gorgeous bathroom! I am in awe of the way your house always looks neat and tidy, with no plastic cr&p or kids toys (aren’t they one and the same?!) in all the photos; as well as being beautifully decorated, of course. I only have two kids and my house looks like a whirlwind of polyethylene demons has just swept through (covered in lead-based paint made in China, of course). Hahah, I’m kidding - but it’s never as neat as yours. How do you do it?!

13. genpoco says:

Reminds me of that Rugrats episode …lol! Love the tub, I used to have an old clawfoot - it was awesome to actually be able to submerge.

14. QALBALLAH says:

Ahhhhh that’s ADORABLE. My mother told us the drain used to go to China and if I didn’t get out of the bath then I’d get sucked down to China too. And she wonders why I’m nuts…

15. jodi says:

Water tomato, monster under the bed. . . it’s hard to be young sometimes.

16. Loraine says:

Wow. I just love your photos.

17. Brigitte says:

“Water tomato”, hee hee!

18. CathyC says:

We’ve got that monkey towel! Wish I could say the same about that tub! My kids love watching the water drain too. Cuties!

My 5yo does the same thing! She likes to put toys on it and watch them spin around. Ah, the simple things in like. Love your bathroom too :)

20. Sara says:

Very cute picture. But ummm, “water tomato”? ‘Splain, please. (Love the tail on Miles’ towel. )

Chris says: Water tornado, you know how the water goes down the drain.

21. Lori says:

Hi Chris,

I like visiting when I have a chance. You’re fun and your family is beautiful.

I have a question for you. I’ve been painting almost every room in our house. I’ve been stumped on a great color for the bathroom. I love this color you have and was wondering what’s the color name. Thanks so much!

Lori

22. maggie says:

hey! we have the same tile and same tub!

23. Jeanette says:

Where on Earth did you get that bathtub? It is fabulous.
    Kids are pretty cute too.

Chris says: It came with our 100+ year old house.

24. Carrie @ Three-Girl Circus says:

The tip toes are so cute!

Water Tomato! How cute. Little Roo loves the “tornado” and has to stick his finger in it until all the water is gone. Then hunch over and hide so I can’t “see” him and get him out of the bath.
    I also have a huge case of tub envy. I love claw-footed tubs! Beautiful!

26. TwoSquareMeals says:

Hobbes has the same towel, and both he and Calvin refuse to leave the tub until the tornado has totally disappeared.

27. elizabeth says:

I always giggle at people commenting on/about your photos - especially that your home is not a disaster. I personally can’t abide with clutter - there are places for everything. I am not fanatic, but want my children to feel a peace and a sense of solitude at home. The world is messy enough.

I love how Miles is up on his tippy tippy toes!
    Adorable!

28. Carrie says:

That’s a great picture! I love your bathroom the wall color, tub and floor are PERFECT!

29. Mindy says:

I can tell by your photos that you have my dream house! You’re so lucky.

30. crockpot lady says:

we have that color paint in our hallway. I love it.
    -steph

31. Holly says:

Sorry for the ignorance, but are all 100 year old tubs that small? Or is it just my imagination?

Cute photo.

32. Wicked Stepmom says:

Now I have bath-tub envy.

33. janet says:

huh… never mind the kids. i am lusting after your bathroom.

34. steff says:

I love how he is standing on his tippy toes! Cuteness!

35. Miss Valerie Jean says:

What is that paint color, by the way? Please share. Cute picture, love the little monkey towel!

36. Stephanie Chance says:

Your bathroom is beautiful. You guys do great work!

37. mila says:

Sooo cute!! Love that tub ;) We just put that same tile in our daughter’s new bathroom— the walls are Pepto pink, though… it looks like ‘Good and Plentys’! Your photos are always fun to look at at!

38. Colleen says:

My two-year-old fears nothing. Except for the bathtub tornado, which sends him into a panic.

39. GrimRealityGirl says:

Your photos are so amazing. Don’t worry if you have a heartless one (or 50) for every beautiful one… you have so many beautiful ones! Have you run out of room on your walls?

40. bombaygirl says:

I totally get the fear…I read way too many scary books as a child (stephen king!) and so still have fears of clowns grabbing me through the drains and gutters (on the streets) and from under beds. Even now, if I enter my bedroom in the dark, I get a little shiver as I climb into bed, expecting my foot to get grabbed.

41. Nicole says:

Water tomatoes can be rather scary.

42. arduous says:

What a gorgeous picture. Your kids are seriously lucky to have such an awesome mom-photographer.

43. Sarah @ Ordinary Days says:

We have the same monkey towel. We also have the frog one. My oldest has the job of picking up all the tub toys and putting them in their plastic basket while I drain the water. He always freaks out because he thinks one of the ofam letters of big squishy fish are going to go down the drain even though they are at least 2 times as big as the drain.

44. Nicole says:

Eli is the same!! FUNNEL FUNNEL!!, he shouts!

45. pickel says:

The cute things little kids say…we have the same floor in our 90 year old house. Don’t you love it?

46. CathyC says:

I just read all the comments and realized That’s It!!! That’s what it is about the photo that is so AWESOME. Except for the tiny yellow duck on the floor, there is nothing in the bathroom except the necessities.
    Where is everything? And when are you coming over to do that to my bathroom?

47. carrie says:

LOVE your bathtub! I’ve been known to be a little obsessed with “water tomatoes” in my time . . .

48. HolyMama! says:

wow, that looks like a pottery barn kids ad! soooo cute!

49. Emily says:

1. LOVE the bathroom, absolutely gorgeous :)

2. Water tomatoes are terrifying. And they put that funny feeling in your tummy if you sit in the tub during them

3. I must have that towel, does it come in baby sizes?

50. Lori says:

I found a different color that suits us better. Actually my husband found the color and we already have the bathroom half way done! Thanks anyways!

51. K says:

I have a 100+year-old house. MINE didn’t come with a clawfoot tub. Mine came with a beige plastic tub…. and some of the most hideous looks-like-a-corelle-ware-plate linoleum you’ve ever seen…

52. Holly says:

Soooo, it is that small?? I figured you would respond to my question, but you did not…Apparently, I am aching to know.

Chris says: It really isn’t that small. It is much taller than a regular tub and it is five feet long. In one of our other bathrooms we have a 6ft long one. How long are new tubs?

53. Girlymom4 says:

Ok~ it’s official, I L-O-V-E- your house~ I L-O-V-E- your pictures!

54. Holly says:

It looks like if Miles sits down, his feet will touch one end and back will touch the other end. Is my perception all wonky? If it is that size, I guess that’s normal. I love the depth. Ours is half that depth size. That is why I take showers.

55. Jodi says:

Oh how I miss the days of cute hooded towels. *sigh*

We just bought a clawfoot tub off Craigslist for a cabin we’re building. Date on the bottom is Nov. 2, 1930. And it is 5 1/2 feet…BIG! I can’t wait to fill it up with hot water and slide down until just my nose and eyes are above water.

56. Jodi says:

Typo, darn it. The date on our tub is 11/02/20, not 30. Because that 10 years means something. For sure. Maybe.

57. Amy says:

Make this a third request for the name of the paint color…I love it, along with the gorgeous tub, tile, and trim, and super cute children. My 100+ year old house also did not come with a clawfoot tub…mine came with the type of tub you see in infomercials at 3 a.m.

So I’ve been trying to find the perfect shade of blue for my bedroom, and am probably going to have to paint over the shade I selected because I am AWFUL at selecting paint colors, so please help us all out and share the name of the paint color…please????

Chris says: I have no idea what the name of the paint is, sorry! I wish I did so I could touch it up.

58. InterstellarLass says:

I love your bathroom. The tub is awesome. And I’m pretty sure we have the same tile in our bathroom.

59. EG says:

Wow, you take beautiful pictures. I’m pretty sure if I took that picture, it wouldn’t look that good.

60. Stacey says:

Yes yes. We have been watching the Tornado in the tub a very long time here. My daughter has just figured out that this is an exciting event. She does cry for the water though once it all goes away. My son, in contrast, rejoices in the destruction of it all.

61. Sandy says:

My twins call it a “wormpool”!