Waiting for the world to change…

Waiting for the world to change…

February 5, 2008

Waiting

In the elevator going to vote.

Or get a free donut. Whichever.

Comments

1. Stephanie says:

She’s thinking….”one day our generation is gonna rule the population…”

2. Jen says:

She’s glad you’re not voting for Hillary too.

3. birchsprite says:

Or “can I push the buttons”

Chris says: Pushing the buttons is her unalienable right.

4. Mom on the Run says:

Chris-
    I’m curious… I notice that you don’t refer to your children by name, except for your youngest–Miles. Sometimes you refer to your boys by their age or you will mention your daughter. I am new to blogging and want to avoid using personal identifiers in my blog. I refer to my children by ther age, but not consistently. How have you dealt with this problem?
    Mom on the Run

Chris says: I pretty much only refer to them by their ages. The stories stay timeless that way also. A story about a 6yr old is always a story about a 6yr old.

5. AmyG says:

The bummer about only using the age thing (which I totally understand and would do myself if I blogged), is that you don’t get to share the stories behind your children’s names….and I love those stories!

6. suburbancorrespondent says:

You get donuts? We don’t. No fair!

And, mom on the run, to stay safe - no real names, no pictures of people (particularly children - sorry, Chris, but it is true), nothing too identifying about place. This is what law enforcement people advise. If you want more details, e-mail me.

7. Fina says:

Wicked cute coat!
    Fina/Sayville

That coat is TOO CUTE! Where did you get that????

Chris says: It is from Old Navy

9. T says:

So who did you vote for?!?!

10. Heather's Garden says:

I still have to say I’m shocked that you aren’t supporting a female candidate. I mean, I could see supporting someone that really appealed to you over a female candidate, but when no one jumps out at you, I really thought you’d be like me and go for a woman in power. She’s no worse than the others and at least we’d be showing our daughters (metaphorical in my case) that a woman can be in charge.

Chris says: The same can be said about an African-American having a viable shot at the presidency. I am over the Clintons.

Donuts AND pushing buttons? I don’t think there can be a better day for a small child.

12. Virginia says:

Amen sister! For the first time in 43 years I voted Democrat this morning. I am not a particular Hilary supporter and can’t stand her husband but none of the other candidates thrill me and really, how bad can she be? I don’t mind if other women don’t want to vote for her for some reason (even just being over the Clintons) but if I hear one more women say that they don’t think a woman can/should be President I think I’m going to start a campaign to make them turn in their uterus! The Midwest - Argggg!

13. Moose says:

I always thought that the moment a woman ran for president, I’d be all over it - even if she had the vocabulary of a gnat and gills instead of lungs. But it’s not so. I can’t say I’m thrilled with Hillary.

Lots of Obama signs in my area of the world. :) But I’m feeling cheated out of a donut.

14. embee says:

free donuts? i think i need to move. i didn’t even get a sticker.

15. OMSH says:

The title is perfect.
    We don’t get donuts. We get chips and salsa.

JOKING.

16. PollyS says:

How bad can Hillary be, you ask?
    Well for one she’s considering garnishing wages to force people to get health care? Humm, that’s a good start.
    But don’t think I’m thrilled with the Repubs either.
    Frankly, I think we’re all screwed!

17. Sarah @ Ordinary Days says:

Saying you’d vote for someone just because they have a vagina is just about the stu…I’ll stop there.

18. jen says:

at least you get to (somewhat) choose who will represent your party. over in the UK we just get Gordon Brown……..

19. Stephanie says:

At least you all get to vote today. We here in the state of Washington are having a caucus, and not until Saturday. I’m having high school flashbacks you know, where I didn’t get invited to the “cool kids” party.

20. Virginia says:

@Sarah - If there is no compelling reason for me to choose another candidate, I can think of worse criteria. For hundreds of years we’ve had Presidents without one and they haven’t done that great of a job, certainly not for the last couple of decades. Maybe someone with a vagina wouldn’t have to choose which brain to think with on a daily basis. If you don’t want to vote for her fine but please don’t let it be because you think a woman shouldn’t be or can’t be President. There are way too many women in my area of the country who won’t even consider voting for her because she has a vagina - that is what I consider stupid.

Chris says: And again I will say, there are plenty of people who will not vote for Obama solely because he is African American. There are many reasons for me not to vote for Hillary. Not quite as many reasons for me not to vote for Obama…or McCain for that matter.

21. bombaygirl says:

I always said I would vote for Hillary if she ever ran for president. I told my republican husband that if she ran, I would be out there volunteering for her, doing whatever was needed. Then the last year happened, and I wasn’t impressed. It was really hard for me to own up to the fact that I would not be voting for a woman.
    I voted today.

22. carrie says:

How come they don’t pass out free donuts with absentee ballots?

Not. Fair.

That is a great picture.

23. Victoria says:

That caption works so beautifully with that picture, well done! : )

24. another Elizabeth says:

I think it’s great that you took your daughter to vote. My dad always took me with him when he voted and would let me flick the levers (our town had the old-style voting machines with the curtain and levers to push for each candidate).

25. Ani says:

Donuts?!?

I’m jealous, all we had was surly poll workers with NO NO NO personality.

But I did get a sticker to put on my 2 1/2 yr old. He loved it.

26. Heather's Garden says:

I think it’s fantastic that we can have this discussion. Think about China where a man is in prison and his wife and baby are under house arrest because they had the audacity to say that China has violated their citizen’s human rights and the Olympic Committee should take notice. His name is Hu Jia and he’s a very brave man to speak against his government, I met him years ago when he was an AIDS activist. We don’t all agree on who we’re voting for today, but thank God we have the right to argue about it!

27. Dot says:

Your daughter has the coolest clothes. Or you’re the coolest mom ever.

28. jm says:

Hmm. I kind of thought that when my grandmother and mother fought for equal rights that they were fighting for my opportunity to vote for someone whose policies I most agree with. Which means that I voted for Obama today.

I don’t subscribe to the line of thought that I’m supposed to vote my gender because it is my gender. That would make me no better than all of the white men who shut women and African Americans out of the political race for so long. And I think that equality means freedom to vote your conscience. Enough of this “You’re betraying your gender!” line of argument. It’s insulting to the intelligence of women.

29. Ginny says:

No donuts and no elevator where I voted. And I’m pretty sure your chain stores are better than my chain stores.

30. celeste says:

Chris, did you see this story about the 12-year-old precinct captain in Colorado for Obama? He still dawdles and slides on the ice as he goes from house to house.

And how about what Obama’s 9-year-old daughter told him on Tuesday before he and Michelle went on stage to give the speech? He asked her if she wanted to come with them and she said, “Daddy, you know that’s not my thing.”