Randomness

Randomness

February 7, 2008

I had an appointment with my allergist yesterday. He still has no answers, which is upsetting. His suggestion that I just don’t worry about it and carry my Epi-pen does not exactly comfort me.

My endocrinologist called this morning to say that my blood work came back and my thyroid problem is an autoimmune disorder. I had thought he told me that years ago, but then he didn’t see it noted in my chart.

It isn’t surprising, or it shouldn’t be at least. And it shouldn’t be upsetting, but I have found that it is. Like my body is trying to kill itself. Autoimmune disorders are like the buy one get two free in the disorder world. I now have three. Go me. Always the over achiever.

Beef, It’s What’s For Dinner, recipe here.

stew

Have I mentioned that we bought half a cow yet this week? I feel like I should be the beef council spokesperson.

My photo of the day, for 30 Tiny Moments:

Indoor Kite Flying

Kite flying indoors. Because we can NOT remember the last time we saw the sun.

Comments

1. Elena J says:

I don’t think I’d be too reassured if an epi-pen was the sole source of security either. Hope they find some answers for you soon.

Did he say that you have an autoimmune disorder because of the nodules on your thyroid? Or is there something else going on there? I had nodules on my thyroid, which they ended up taking out via surgery along with half of my thyroid because the biopsy for cancer came up inconclusive (and after surgery, came up negative). The drs. have told that me that there’s nothing else wrong with my thyroid, but I keep wondering since I’m tired *all* the time and half of my hair has fallen out. But then maybe those symptoms could be blamed on my kids, who knows.

Chris says: No, I had a blood test to test for the presence of antibodies.
    Are you taking synthroid? Maybe your dose needs to be upped.

2. Keri says:

Chris - Could your autoimmune disorder(s) be causing your allergies? (Or is that stupid of me to suggest that? I actually am “allergic” to cold weather - - meaning that when I am outside, i get hives on my legs, hands etc. The Dr told me its a histamine reaction to cold. ANd it just randomly developed after I had a virus (mono) when I was in college.

sorry to go on about my health history - just a thought that maybe they are connected?

The beef stew looks really yummy, btw

I, too, have the autoimmune disorder problem. I have an under active thyroid and a lack of energy. Even though my thyroid dose is correct. I also suffer from vitilgo, which means i’m slowly turning albino. And I seem to be developing an allergy to mint. I think it’s all connected!!

4. Eva says:

Hi Chris,

I just stumbled across your blog today- can’t really remember how but anyway.
    I just got fascinated with your photos and your writing- and enjoyed reading! I love to take photos, have a four year old girl, and now I found out we have the same thyroid problem- hey maybe it comes from going crazy taking pictures of our kids :) If so I would qualify. Just wanted to say I can relate to a lot on your blog and thanks for sharing- also sorry about the autoimmune disorder - I know what you are dealing with. (I also have lupus) But still going strong.

Keep up the good writing- some day I’ll get into the whole blog thing.

Best, Eva

5. Tracy says:

You may already know this but thyroid problems can cause hives. Here’s a link about it - http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/hives.htm, but I don’t know how to make it linky - sorry.

I feel for you - I’ve had times where I’ve had unexplained hives and swelling and it was the pits. They stopped sooner than yours, so I can only imagine how frustrated you’re getting.

My allergist double checked my thyroid stuff and told me about the possible connection. But I don’t have antibodies, so he didn’t think my hives were caused by that. It was a puzzle and a pain.

I hope that you stop having this problem soon!!!

6. April says:

Sorry to hear of the health troubles. I know how frustrating that can all be.

What is this sun you speak of? I don’t recall it.

7. suburbancorrespondent says:

Anytime a health professional tells me to “just relax, don’t worry,” it is all I can do to keep from wrapping his/her stethoscope around his/her throat. I can’t think of anything more condescending to say to a patient. You will find an answer, just not from that guy.

8. Stephanie says:

So sorry to hear about the autoimmune issues, how very frustrating.

Hang in there!

9. bombaygirl says:

Love the photo of Miles. Sorry to hear about the allergy crap. I live in a state of denial about my issues.

10. Jamie AZ says:

Your allergy issue sounds a little bit like what I have, but mine only reacts in hives, not something I’d need to carry an epi-pen for. The doctor described it as an immune receptor condition where my cells create antibodies that I’m allergic to. Joy! I break out in the hives if I get warm. He said the blood test for this is fairly new, 1-2 years old, but he has a few patients with the issue. Know real treatment except for Allegra or Zyrtec and hopes it eventually goes away. I’m up to 2.5 years with the hives. He did the thyroid blood test, too, to see if my thyroid was making antibodies that I’m allergic to but that came back negative. Of course, that one’s treatable w/thyroid meds; couldn’t have that one!

Hopefully your issues will just go away or you can find a reason/treatment for them.

11. Lisa says:

I have an autoimmune disorder as well-Hashimotos Thyroiditis-which someday will turn into full blown hypothyroidism. My antibody level after my 2nd child was like 600,000 or something and I did develop a goiter that has shrunken a little in size. I am on synthroid and have my blood taken every month and my levels turn out to be within range yet I feel so damn crappy. My endo says I need to lose weight and I’ll feel better but it’s near impossible when your fighting your own thyroid. I haven’t developed any food allergies yet although my lactose tolerance is slowly diminishing. Just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone.

12. Nextcommercial says:

Hmm.. It’s 70 degrees and sunny, here in Arizona. I even hung my laundry out to dry today.

Feel free to seek revenge in August when it’s 122 degrees here and all I have to do is wave my wet laundry in the sun for 25 seconds for it to dry.

13. Cary says:

I was diagnosed hypothyroid at age 23 and am now 31, and I have never heard it described as an autoimmune disorder. Does it automatically fall into that category or should I ask for additional testing? My levels are balanced but still have hair loss, low energy, etc

Chris says: You can be hypothyroid and NOT have Hashimotos, which is what the auto immune disorder is called. If you haven’t been tested you might as well ask for it the next time you have blood drawn.

14. nancy says:

wow sorry to hear that sweetie I guess I am not the only one having over flowing drama and stress this week! I officially hate February LOL!

Miles is the cuteness!!!!!!!!!

15. Amanda- VintageDutchGirl says:

HI,
    First off, nice blog! Autoimmune disorder…that sucks :( I’m pouting for you.

Question regarding the 1/2 cow. I have always wanted to buy a portion of a cow (I’m a grocery stockpiler), and have been curious as to the general price range. Does it beat supermarket prices?

Amanda - VintageDutchGirl

He is SO cute!

I am so sorry about your allergies and health problems. I hope someone helps you figure it out, and soon.

17. Cathy says:

I think you should submit yourself for an episode of “House”. Where are all the Dr. Houses of the world? I’f put up with his nastiness if it gave a solid diagnosis.

18. Hoosiermama says:

Good morning,

Sorry to hear about your health issues. I have Hashimoto’s and possibly rheumatoid arthritis. Yay. Talk to your doctor about the possibility of adding a T-3 med. Treating with a T-4 only med such as Synthroid is not the only way to treat thyroid issues. Unfortunately it’s what today’s doctors are taught. Good luck to you :)

19. halloweenlover says:

I can understand being upset, I think I would also be frustrated and sad. I keep hoping there will be a one size fits all pill or diet that will resolve your issues.

How do you have time with all this to find all these yummy recipes? I’m trying this over the weekend. I also tried your baked chicken and potatoes and carrots this week and Josh declared it AWESOME.

20. Danielle says:

I hate answers like that. Middle Child was just at the doctor this week with a mystery line on his face. Diagnosis? Wow, that weird. Take this med and if he doesn’t get better come back.

I know that doctors do not know everything but it sure sucks when the answer is carry an epi-pen and try not to die.

Oh, and reading your blog lately has left me hungry for some fish..maybe chicken…definitely not beef. :)

21. Aussie Kim says:

Hey Chris,

Here are a couple of websites you might want to look up - I have used all methods very successfully, particularly for allergies. I found that traditional medicine failed to cure problems I had (it’s very good at treating symptoms - but sometimes the treatments cause other problems), and I tried alternatives. Now I always try the alternatives first, and since then I only go to the doctors once a year to get confirmation that I am staying healthy.

22. Girlymom4 says:

Are you sure there still IS a sun? Ugh.

23. EG says:

UGH, auto-immune stuff is very frustrating. I knew my personal disorder would surface eventually ’cause both my parents have auto-immune issues. Mine surfaced in the form of HIVES. For 18 months my body was completely covered in hives. The choices they finally gave me were an organ transplant medication that could kill my liver, or a concoction of an anti-histamine, asthma medicine, anti-depressant, and stomach medicine. Strangely, this worked and I’m now hive-free and off all the meds.

I guess my advice is to keep bothering your doctors, and trying different doctors, until you find someone willing to try something.

I fully anticipate that my next auto-immune issue is going to be hair loss. I plan to have wigs in all colors and styles.

24. Penelope Anne says:

Having not gotten to the doctor this week, I wait until March now for some answers, though they figure I have an autoimmune disorder, just not sure which one.

I feel for you.

25. Becky says:

De-lurking to say I’m sorry for what you’re going through! Is there any chance of getting a second opinion? I don’t know where you live, so that might be logistically difficult, but if you’re not getting answers from one doctor, why not seek out another? (sorry if this has been answered in the past, I am a relative newcomer to your blog).

I went to an allergist that was recommended by my PCP - he was awful! basically he told me that i was allergic everything - fruit, processed meat, grains, “food with colors” etc. He also told me that I needed to clean my air filter constantly, launder my curtains and bedding constantly, etc etc. Well, considering I had a job at the time where I traveled & stayed at hotels 80% of the year, I had very little control over my environment anyway.

I got a referral to another allergist who determined that my main problem was an allergy to pollen and mold and after going through allergy shots & needing an endoscopic sinus surgery, I have seen a vast improvement.

Obviously, my symptoms are nothing like yours, but my point is that if you feel dissatisfied you should take yourself elsewhere - you deserve better!!

26. becky(priss) says:

yeah, i’m sick of health issues, too. might still have diabetes even after having the baby, based on blood tests the other day. i’ll know more next week. so i’m in limbo in the meantime. getting older sucks. who knew i’d start falling apart in my mid-30s? wasn’t this supposed to happen after i retire?

27. kathy says:

I know a certain Caribbean beach that would take care of the sun problem. We’re cooling down to 82F tomorrow. It was a warm one today.

28. kathy says:

I just checked our weather and now I know why I’ve been feeling warmer (and have been wearing shorts the past couple days). Got up to 95F today. Still not hot yet though…

(c’mon down!)

29. Trish says:

My daughter has been making me read Cat in the Hat EVERY night.

So of course when I saw that picture I thought:

“They should not fly kites in a house. They should not.”

30. Alexandra says:

I am part of the Hashimoto’s club and have 3 other auto-immune problems as well. I do believe they are all connected. A great website that I have become addicted to and can thank for the lose of 10 lbs. in 2 weeks and subsequently a 5th pregnancy, in addition to massively improved symptoms and great skin. It is askshelley.com. (Make sure you spell Shelley with an EY. The other askshelly is a bodybuilding site.) It is overwhelming, the site, but just keep reading it and you’ll get the hang it in no time. Good luck, girlie.

31. Gillian says:

I always found it ironic that my body wants to choke me to death with asthma to protect me from perfumes or kittens.