It Must Be Tuesday.

It Must Be Tuesday.

February 12, 2008

Hot-opus

A recipe for the kids. Though I think it would be fun to serve at a dinner party just to see the reactions.

Over at Parenting I wrote about Valentine’s Day and my 8yr old son’s girlfriend. Sorry, 8 and a half years old. How could I leave off that half.

My opinion on allowances.

End of the long hallway

I have been working on this in my free time. Which means that it has been sitting here forever. The room straight in front of the door is the one that we have been working on for about a year now. It is almost done. Just needs the molding put up along the floor and one last piece of crown molding.

My job is to paint all the doors in this room: the two closet doors, the bathroom door, and the door to the room from the hallway.

The plaster is missing because the wall and door opening had to be rebuilt. And unlike sheetrock, you can just precisely cut away the area you want. That little wall hanging has been there since we bought the house. It is filled with shells that have googley eyes and pom-pom noses glued on them. When we were looking at the house my kids went on and on about how much they loved so the owner gave it to them. As soon as the rest of the plaster wall comes down it will be going too. Not so much because it is tacky as all get out, but because it is covered with layer after layer of stuck on dust and grime.

My kids think we get rid of all the best parts of the house.

Comments

1. Kate says:

your job? your JOB? when do you have time to do THIS you crazy woman? WE bought the “over priced fixer upper” almost 2 , yes 2 YEARS ago and almost nothing is done. (as evidenced by the slightly heated conversation I had with my husband this morning)I do not know how you do this - everytime I read your blog - wait - I mean ONE of the blogs - how many , now? notes, year, parenting, handipoints - and untill a second ago , that other one I read only for you & MIr,anyway- phooey on them. Ido not know how you get everything done. AND you actually make dinner. albeit begrudgingly…:) whatever you’re on, woman, I want some.
    When you are done with all the renovations - are you going to sell? and start another? because youre crazy? lol I don’t know … I missed that special class where they teach you what to look for in a mate - I thought I had it all down- professional (check) , ivy league (check) , looks good ( really good) in jeans, (check) ….. handy ………. ?? hmmmmmm . If you want an opera written about home improvements, he’s your man . You actually want them DONE…………….not so much. LOL - my HUSBAND wants to know if you are going to sell , so we can just buy yours and I will leave him alone…… oh, no that won’t work. Then he will just talk about heating prices day & night and I will have to kill him anyway. :)

2. kalisah says:

I can’t believe with as big as your family is you have empty rooms in your house. You must live in a converted inn. We’re like air in a box at my house. How do you stay confined to only parts of your home?

3. Amy says:

I don’t think I’ve ever even commented here, although I read a lot…anyhow, I just had to laugh since I just got done making the octopus on shells lunch for my two year old for the first time, put him down for his nap and whaddaya know is on the first blog I check…. It was a total hit, BTW!

4. Jennie says:

I love when you include pictures from your adventures in home renovation. Please post more before/after shots, if you can. Personally, I cannot wait to see how your new kitchen came (comes?) out! And what about that “flesh” colored bedroom? (Not to reignite the controversy about whose flesh color again.)

Chris says: This is the infamous bedroom in the background. Repainted obviously ;-)

5. Sherry says:

If you nail one end of a strip of wood on the top of the door (perpendicular to the top of the door), you can lean the door on the wall and will be able to paint all around the door at once instead of painting one side, letting it dry, flipping it over, and painting the other side.

6. Deputy's Wife says:

Oh, I feel so much better now. I have been working on our hallway for six months now. It should have taken a couple of weeks. Why rush things, right?

7. jm says:

I will totally come help you paint. We’d knock all of that out in, what? An hour.

Oh, hmm. But then there is the sangria. Okay, three hours.

8. gorillabuns says:

I do believe my husband will enjoy this meal tonight.

9. Girlymom4 says:

You crack me up, I just caulked ANOTHER window tonight and then decided the masses should probably eat before midnight. I still have more caulking to do, but it will be nice once winter is outside. Gotta love these fixer upper houses! How old is yours?
    We are living in a 140 year young house! :)

10. Qalballah says:

Hi Chris
    Maybe too much to ask but could you one day give us the full tour of your home? You know - from the front door, turn left that kind of thing? I find inspiration in other peoples’ homes and cosy corners.

11. Kristi says:

I’ll take that dusty, grimey shell hanging!

One day, when your house is complete, you will have such satisfaction. And then you’ll miss all the remodeling projects? Maybe?

12. Jen says:

Can’t wait to make hot-opuses for the kids…of course it’ll have to be on Easy Mac because NOTHING else is real mac n cheese in their minds!

Sherry- may I say you are a genius?? I have NEVER thought to do that and I have painted many doors. SO glad I spent that 100K on my engineering degree.

thank you thank you thank you!

13. Pickel says:

I visit your site for two reasons (okay, more) 1. for the awesome kid pictures and 2. for pictures of the house because they are so much like mine (but better).

We took the header out on the stairs in order to get our bedroom set upstairs and have pictures just like that with all the plaster knocked out. We still have uneven walls because its not “quite” finished.

I agree with Qalballah…tour. :)

14. Pickel says:

Oh, and I love the squid thing. My son would love it.

15. HolyMama! says:

finally a recipe that does not intimidate me. i can totally do that one.

16. and baby makes 6! » They ate octopi, we had ribeye says:

[...] you have not already, you really need to make this adorable meal for your kiddos. We made this for the kids Valentines Day meal, and they loved it. Easy to prepare [...]