February 12, 2008

Getting the mail

Getting the mail. Such is life in a small town without mail service.

Comments

1. Mayberry Magpie says:

Oh how I enjoy your photography! Couldn’t you come over and photograph for my blog? Pretty please?

Mayberry Magpie

2. Girlymom4 says:

No Mail Service? ~Yikes!
    Another great picture… thank you for sharing it.

3. BetteJo says:

Really?

4. bombaygirl says:

Look at that cute coat! He looks like such a little man!

5. balconygal says:

Oh, this reminds me of my childhood except no one took photos of it because, well, because. How is it you make it look so beautiful?!!?

6. Fancypants Jenn says:

Wow… I didn’t know that some towns are without mail service. Either I am naive or an idiot (both?); I guess that’s what I get for living in the city for so long.

Amazing photography, btw. You have a talent (among many of course).

7. theloudcorral says:

my goodness, i did not realize how small your town is! i also did not know there were places with no mail service! how quaint!

8. Lynda says:

Huh, no mail service. An odd concept for those of us in the UK where the mail is put through the door onto the mat every day!

9. Shannon says:

And I thought we lived out in the country!
    Cute pic!

10. Emily says:

Ah, life without mail service - reminds me of my childhood too. I liked going to the post office even more when we still had the old letter combination locks on the doors instead of the key opperated ones. Our box combination was FIB - I don’t know if my parents got to pick it, but it did remind me not to lie…

Somedays I miss it, but then there are days like yesterday. We had an additional 5 inches of snow (on top of the 13 we got a week ago) and my mail carrier was still just as happy as always. I always enjoy my interactions with him, even if it is only a few minutes of our day.

11. Kate says:

We don’t have mail service either. I was so shocked when we moved here but now it is just the way of life.

As usual Miles is adorable

12. Angela says:

hummm….if we had no mail service I think I’d probably pick up monthly (that is how disinterested I am in opening mail) but my husband would have “issues” - he’s like a little kid getting a present whenever he opens his mail. Our daughter and I actually like to look at this face when he picks it up and opens it…so expressive. Loved the picture! I thought postal service had those rural mail carriers and/or people that would get paid for their mileage to use their vehicles but apparently there are still some places where they dont…I’m a bit jealous….being so deeply entrenched in suburbian life here in Cali (gross). I would practically foam at the mouth whenever we would pass small towns as I’d love to live in one…unfortunately that won’t be possible while our daughter is small (we are a transracial family and bigger towns accomodate us a bit better)…maybe when hubby retires…sigh.

13. Headless Mom says:

I would love to live in a place without mail service. It sounds like a slower, more relaxed pace of life.

14. mel says:

Wouldn’t it be lovely if the words on the floor were an inspiring quote about gratitude and appreciating the little things? Took me a few minutes to figure out it isn’t.

15. Beth says:

The town in which I grew up had no mail service either…it had a letter combination post office box (#115, I still remember!) and there’s times (in my weird dream life) where I’m trying to get the combination right. In reality, there were times like this and I would finally give up and ask the postman (Jim) to shove the door open for me. After I went to college, this same postman would jot a note on the envelopes from my parents and tell me “hi”. VERY small town!! There’s nothing like it!

16. Tay says:

Good thing you guys are around, to raise the population (kidding, kidding)!

I wish I had your amazing skills of getting the ENTIRE CHILD INTO THE FRAME. Just the idea makes my camera laugh at me, I’m pretty sure.

17. CathyC says:

And my family thinks I live in the country! HA!

18. Wicked Stepmom says:

I can barely make it out to my mailbox … I’d never schlep to a post office to retrieve it! They’d surely kick me out or whatever-it-is that post offices do to negligent mail recipients.

Bet you can’t wait until your oldest learns how to drive, so you can send HIM! ;)

19. Ginny says:

How often do you go and get it?