Gravity

Gravity

February 14, 2008

Today all the slushy snow that was left everywhere turned to ice. The thermometer topped at 24 degrees. But we are hearty souls who don’t let things like wind chill factors bringing the temperature down into the negatives keep us inside. Or the fact that we had to drive on what amounted to an ice rink.

No we look out the window and think, ‘This is a perfect day for tubing.’

As we were walking to the tubing hill, we had to walk down another icy hill. I was walking, wishing I had crampons, not to be confused with tampons, and pulling Miles, also known as He-Who-Will-Not-Walk. My 10 yr old son decided to take a running headfirst dive down the hill, sliding on his stomach. With no warning he took me down like I was a stray bowling pin. And KEPT on going. I was lleft aying there looking up at the sky still holding onto the sled rope.

DSC_00831

This is him shortly after the incident when he claimed he didn’t know he had knocked me over.

Gravity

Collapsing after tubing.

Post up over at Work It, Mom. The Valentine’s Day Dinner that keeps on giving.

Comments

1. fidget says:

when I fell while carrying my son down the hall, I checked him, my camera and then myself- never mind the fact that I’m pregnant I might have hurt my CAMERA. We are sick sick people

2. B says:

Ooh! At least it’s sunny. Glad you didn’t break your camera…or hip.

3. Lilly says:

What fun! I’m sure your 10 year old didn’t realize he’d bowled you over. He seems like a sweet and compassionate kinda kid. Miles looks sooo happy. What a great life for all of you! Happy Valentine’s Day!

4. jody says:

Am I a terrible friend when my first thought, like yours, was “I bet she had her camera…I hope it didn’t break”?

Glad the camera is fine and that you didn’t break a hip.

Your sons bright red cheeks are adorable…even if he did mow you down.

I’m sure you’re probably sick of the snow, but it looks glorious! I am so sick of the rain I could kick someone. Maybe the weatherman? Mmm, I guess it’s not his fault.

6. Rachel says:

>> I checked my camera. Then determined that I hadn’t broken a hip. Yes, in that order.

This is me! I heart my camera.

Fidget: When my mom was 8.5 months pregnant with me, she feel down our basement steps all the way from the top. She held onto the vacuum for dear life the whole way down! I guess she didn’t want the vacuum to get hurt either!

7. Janet says:

Too bad no one had film running. It could have meant $10,000 on American Home Videos.

8. genpoco says:

Glad to know I’m not the only one navigating the skating rink/driveway. My brother gave me these rubber things with metal coils on them for xmas - can’t remember the name - they slip perfectly over my barn boots so I don’t fracture something while out there. Next year I’m pushing for a sand barrel at the slope of the drive. I hate winter. I may make The Minion wear his helmet on the way down to the bus in the morning.

9. Rae says:

When I got into that car accident I called my husband and one of the first things I said was “thank God I forgot the camera at home.” Seriously though.

10. kathy says:

Looking at your many snow pics makes me want to send you a plane ticket to come visit us in Alabama. :) Much, much warmer and greener Alabama.

11. bombaygirl says:

And Miles is still on the sled! I love that kid.

12. Mary says:

We are having that same sort of weather here. Our driveway is a steep sheet of ice that I had to hike up at 10:30 last night. You seem to have a better attitude about it than I do. My comments about this mess of ice are things like, “Just shoot me now,” alternated with, “Just kill me now.”

Spring cannot come soon enough for me.

13. Norma says:

Your life is so awesome!

14. CathyC says:

Chris, just look at his innocent face. He is so cute! I don’t think he knocked you down. You just fell.

15. Ashley says:

What kind of camera do you use??

Chris says: Nikon D40x

16. Victoria says:

I so wish I was one of your kids!

17. Maine Mom says:

Glad you’re camera is okay. What would we do without all these cute pictures to look at. :-)

18. Maine Mom says:

Yeah, that should say your not you’re.

19. Tiffani says:

Hi, I just wanted to say that I think your photographs are amazing! They always look so vivid and colorful.

And I think I also would have checked for my camera first. lol. Although we don’t get snow here. So. I can only imangine. :)

20. Fina says:

What’s a crampon??

21. Kathryne says:

fina - “crampons” are what us swamp yankee types use in winter - one of our 5 seasons (the extra one being “mud”) . they fit over the soles of your shoes /boots - like mini ice picks/ stabalizers /golf cleats thingies . people far more adventurous then myself use them for hiking/climbing . or , maybe I’m wrong… they might be tampons with the cramps already included!

a nikon d40? i would’ve checked the camera first, too:)

22. genpoco says:

Crampons are ice-axes for your feet. Like teeth.

23. Fina says:

OH ok, I think we have a version of those crampons. They are called Yak-Trax. From QVC. I gave them to my husband so he wouldn’t slip on the ice when he has to snow-blow or shovel.

24. Jane says:

Oh my heck, I have being sitting here forever reading through your blog! I love your pictures and stories. You are so funny! And what a cute family you have.

I am guessing you live in New England somewhere?? We lived in MA for 5 yrs so your pictures seem familiar. Nothing like New England winters… BRRRRR!

Hope spring makes it way to you sooner than later.