Brush Your Teeth

Brush Your Teeth

February 17, 2008

A Reminder

These alphabet blocks were mine when I was a little kid. Back in olden times according to my children.

My 7 and 8 yr olds have this spelled out in their bathroom, on a bookcase right next to their sink. And yet every single night when I ask them if they have brushed their teeth, they respond, “I forgot.”

Comments

1. Christy says:

Olden times. What a hoot.

2. suburbancorrespondent says:

Beware - lead paint. It wasn’t outlawed until the 70’s, I believe.

Maybe they don’t know how to read? You know how you homeschoolers are, depriving your children of a decent education…

Chris says: They don’t play with these blocks. They are just decorations.

3. kalisah says:

I still have to remind my 14-y-o twice a day.

4. Denise says:

I like it!

5. Scylla says:

lol! I am glad I am not the only one whose visual clues are as ineffective as no clues at all!

6. kate says:

of course they forgot…why would they want to brush their teeth it is way too much work.

As an adult I LOVE TO BRUSH my teeth but when I was their age it was such a super chore.

7. CathyC says:

Adorable! So lucky that they have their own bathroom!

8. Sleeping Mommy says:

My kids have my alphabet blocks…I should put them up on a shelf instead of letting them get lost and chewed up by the dogs. Sigh…

9. Kristi says:

What a great idea to use the blocks. I may have to copy that one.

10. Catherine says:

My son doesn’t forget, he’s just “too tired” - probably from all those chores he has to do in our suburban abode.

As for lead paint - hey, we all survived the 70s ;)

11. Haley says:

You need to do the Cheek to Cheek lab I did with my 7th graders on Thursday. My students swabbed the inside of their cheek with a flat toothpick and then put it on a slide. You would not believe some of the things the microscope picked up (gross!). A couple of the kids were even like, “So, this is why I need to brush my teeth twice a day…” Um, yes, my little one. Some vowed to start doing it after lunch, too! It was a really fun way to look at animal cells.

12. Noble Pig says:

Ha, it’s universal then. Why do they not remember. I guess because play is a child’s work so then real work is just forgotten?

My kids have 3 things to do at bedtime: brush teeth, go potty, and put on their pjs. They “forget” 2 of the 3 every time.

14. Jennine says:

My blocks would have to spell “If You Sprinkle When You Tinkle, Be A Sweetie, Wipe The Seatie”
    Unfortunately, I don’t have enough blocks.

15. Blake says:

The first thing I thought of when I saw your picture was “WOW, not a spot of dust or grime, it looks so clean!” I don’t even let close friends and family see my childrens bathroom (or any thing up stairs for that matter).

16. Suebob says:

I don’t think the lead paint is a concern unless the children are using the blocks to clean their teeth.

Chris says: But it would explain why they can’t read, wouldn’t it?

17. Shelly says:

That’s funny. My almost 4 year old needs the push, but my 17 mo. old is a tooth brushing fool. Anytime he’s near the upstairs bathroom he’s there with his toothbrush - or any toothbrush he can get a hold of.

18. Lindsay says:

I love this site…I just found it and have only read patches of 2005 (for the longest time I thought you only posted towards the end of the month, because I didn’t realize each month had multiple pages). One of the ones I read was “Dear Miles”, around his first b-day….very precious. This is an incredible collection of memories, and reinforces my sneaking suspicion that of all the things you can give a child, a bunch of siblings may be the best. I grew up in a family of four kids and your descriptions totally remind me of our place growing up. Wild, loud, and in hindsight, wonderful. Your other site, a year off, is very inspirational! Love it!

ps my husband now thinks I am insane because I keep laughing out loud at the computer, and can’t read it to him through all my howling.

19. Rachel May says:

What an adorable idea for decorating… I think I shall be “borrowing” that one!

20. Ginny says:

Well, if something sits there long enough you start to not notice it anymore, you know? Like a post-it that says,”Charlie–practice clarinet!!” For instance.

21. Carolyn says:

See…when I ask my youngest (6) as I’m tucking her into bed if she’s brushed her teeth, she’s usually pretty honest, saying no, but she’ll brush them twice in the morning. Who can argue with that logic?

22. Jane says:

Love it!!
    I finally don’t have to remind my 16 yr old to brush his.
    But my 10,9,6 yr olds still have to be reminded.

The blocks are way cute!

23. lucky says:

Adorable use of the blocks! I have the opposite problem with my almost 3 year old. She wants to brush her teeth 20 times a day. :)

24. Anna says:

I used to always ask my mom about the “olden days” when she was little too! Where do kids get that? It’s so funny - as if you were Laura Ingalls in your youth!

25. Tricia says:

Wait, you have a bookshelf in your bathroom?

Must be for the boys! ;) Oh, how mine love to read when they are taking care of business.

Chris says: Well there aren’t any books on it. But I am not sure what else to call it…

26. Cara says:

Wow, the lead pain comment has me shaking my head. “BEWARE THE LEAD PAINT!!!” Like it’s a pedophile on the counter.

But I commented to say that the first thing I thought of when I read your post title and saw the picture was a part in the PG version of the 300 trailer (you have to see it). Instead of lunging to cut off a guy’s arm with a super sword, they guy is lunging with a GIANT toothbrush and yells, “Brush your teeeth!”

27. Jules says:

Ah the selective memory of childhood.

28. Kellie says:

I love this! You smart little cookie you…

“I forgot” is an all encompassing, catch all phrase for most kids, isn’t it?
    Cute blocks.

30. Common Mom says:

Back in the olden days - I hear that often ;-) The tooth brushing thing . . . how ANNOYING is it? I mean really - for the past 7 years my son has had to brush his teeth in the morning and at night . . . and sometimes after lunch if we’re home. Yet he STILL insists that he’s forgotten he has to do that. Really, dude? REALLY? You’d think just the repetition would help them “remember” ;-)

I’m glad my kids aren’t the only ones with this issue :-)

And the blocks are WAY cute - great idea!

31. Dawn says:

The olden days… ha! I amaze my kids by regaling them with tales of only one TV channel and a phone that was FASTENED TO THE WALL.

The humanity!

32. Jamie AZ says:

Our kids just learned flossing with the little “picks” last week, so the little one (4) wants to floss all the time. How long before that novelty wears off?!

I think that’s a super-cute bathroom decoration though!

33. Mary W says:

“back in the olden days before there were DVD players and cable TV” is a common statement around here.

I have a book case thingy in my kid’s bathroom too - there is no linen closet so I put a book case in there - I neded some place to keep things in there. I need blcoks that say “put your clothes in the hamper, flush the toilet and hang up your towel”