February 21, 2008

At the grocery store

At the grocery store this evening where I ran in for a few things that somehow morphed into an entire grocery cart filled with food. But the Very Vanilla soy milk was on sale for $2.99, how could I possibly pass that I up? I bought all six that were left on the shelf.

Miles is waiting for his siblings to bring his cookie over from the bakery. The people behind us in line were already eating their cookies. And this was MOST UNFAIR.

Comments

1. Haley says:

His eyes look borderline between - I need a nap (but I will not nap), and I shall cry if you don’t bring me my cookie. So much emotion in such a little face.

And how could you not buy all six cartons? A sale is a sale, and they will be consumed.

2. Megan says:

Oh how I miss going to the grocery store as a kid. Free cookies and riding around in a cart. Those were the days.

3. Becky says:

poor boy! that IS so unfair.
    nice score on the milk, I love it when I get deals like that.

4. Brigitte says:

Really, you probably don’t ever have to worry about stuff having time to EXPIRE at your house. And I agree with Haley’s “look analysis”!

5. salsaqueen says:

So did the siblings bring him already tasted cookies a la’ Miles’ pre-tasted chips and hummus from the other day?!

6. suburbancorrespondent says:

If you have a Target with a food section, check out the Silk - they sell 2 half-gallons of Vanilla for 5.14! All the time! It’s cheaper than the commissary, even.

Chris says: YES! When we are there I always pick up soy milk. Unfortunately they don’t sell fresh produce which is what I was in the grocery store to buy.

7. Ave says:

He looks mighty concerned! You can see his entire attention is focused on the arrival of that cookie. Cute!

8. Michelle says:

I am so impressed by your photography (and your ability to bring your camera everywhere!!!) What a great photo! I would love some more advice (you should really devote a whole page on general tips for photo takers who don’t have cool slr cameras like you…:) on how to look for great shots and then take them.

9. kalisa says:

if you hadn’t told me that, I TOTALLY would’ve guessed that is the “waiting for my cookie” face.

10. Wendy says:

That little boy has the sweetest face, ever.

11. Michelle@mominmentalmotion says:

Poor guy, and to think, he was so good about sharing those chips with his brother the other day! I hope he got his cookie!

12. Girlymom4 says:

With those eyes, he can have the bakery~ not just one cookie! He is sitting so patiently, what a sweetheart!

13. Laural says:

I need to start carrying my camera in my purse with me more often, if this is the kind of picture I could get. Adorable!

We drink Rice Milk at our house. Trader Joe’s has it for HALF the price compared to the grocery stores! Even when it goes on sale, it can never beat TJ’s. Every time we pass it on the store shelf, I go into a little tirade. I think that may be why my husband won’t go shopping with me anymore.

14. joe says:

your kids seem happy. you seem happy. and organized. i sure would love to read your book all about your days with your family, and how you make it work so well. i am in awe. or, if not a book ;), more posts about how you structure your days and months–it all seems to go quite smoothly…

in any case, piles of admiration from a brooklyn girl

15. carrie says:

I wish my daughter would ride in the cart . . . I miss that. She still thinks she’s privy to free bakery cookies though. I should show her this picture, and tell her that only kids who ride in the carts and don’t sass their mommies get free cookies.

16. Liesl says:

Speaking of soy milk . . . (and you may find these to be silly questions), I was “allergic” to milk as a baby/kid and don’t drink much now, even though I would like to. I have never tried soy milk because, . . . well, it’s “SOY MILK” and I haven’t been brave for the last 30 years . . . . is the taste tolerable? Can you use it for cooking? What is the shelf life compared to milk - the closest soy milk is 30+ miles.
    BTW your kids are adorable and I admire how you keep things together!
    LJH

Chris says: Well, you have to first get over that it doesn’t taste like cow milk. My kids love soy milk, it is really all they have ever known. I don’t mind it in baking but I would never dream of just drinking a glass of it. I prefer rice milk.

17. Victoria says:

Dude? I completely understand. I’d have been crying, myself.

And you think I’m joking.

18. Noble Pig says:

Oh, he looks crushed. Where’s my cookie MOM! I understand his pain.

19. Sue says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your new camera. That is a fabulous picture. I would buy one for myself, but because of your inspiration I gave up shopping for Lent.

20. Julie Stiles Mills says:

I need to bring my camera with me more often. I miss so many great shots.

21. shel says:

I see I’m not the only one who buys all the soy (or rice) milk off the shelves. I feel sorry for the people who come into the store after me! We have 6 kids and the whole family drinks only rice or soy or sometimes almond milk, so we go through tons of it. It’s always good when you get it on sale. Your little boy is adorable!

22. Jamie AZ says:

Do the folks in the grocery store wonder why you’re taking pictures there?! :) Have camera, will travel!!

When I thought I had a dairy allergy (misdiagnosed, thankfully), I tried the vanilla soy milk, but just couldn’t handle it. I guess I wanted it to taste like milk, which it didn’t, and I couldn’t get past that. I think almond milk was the best, but still, I could only take a few sips.

Chris says: I bring my camera everywhere with me. I have pretty much gotten over being embarrassed about whipping the camera out at odd times.

23. Dot says:

My breastfed baby would get terribly sick if I consumed any amount of dairy so I lived off Silk soy milk for the first year of her life. A glass of the Very Vanilla made me wonder why I ever drank cow’s milk in the first place. That stuff is good! It’s like a melted milkshake. Mmmm!

24. mindy says:

Trader Joe’s vanilla soy milk is $2.99 every day!