Friday’s Photo(s)

Friday’s Photo(s)

February 23, 2008

snow angels

Snow angels.

We had another snow storm today. The snow fell consistently all day long, resulting in a light fluffy snow. In fact it is still snowing now as I type this.

DSC_0053_edited-1.jpg

I love this photo of the kids running to the backyard. They all took off running and Miles got up out of the snow, ran after them, screaming, “I am going win, guys!” Showing he clearly has no idea what exactly this “winning” thing means. Only that it is important to shout it at the top of your lungs.

DSC_0064_edited-1.jpg

These two have a love/ hate relationship.

DSC_0107_edited-1.jpg

Look, he hasn’t starved yet. Phew!

DSC_0031_edited-1.jpg

And he still has dimples.

DSC_0136.JPG

But the best part about playing outside in the snow?

DSC_0129_edited-1.jpg

The hot cocoa…

DSC_0126_edited-1.jpg

…with mini marshmallows afterward.

DSC_0171_edited-1.jpg

And the animated story telling that goes along with it.

DSC_0142_edited-1.jpg

Really this child has no personality. We are hoping she comes out of her shell one day.

DSC_0156.JPG

Right after this one of his teeth fell out. And then he dropped it down the drain while trying to brush it. Why was he trying to brush his tooth after it had already fallen out of his head? I have no idea. I ended up having to fish it out of the disposal. Conquering the fear that it would spontaneously turn on and leave me with a bloody stump. Now that is love.

Comments

1. Haley says:

How your children can hang out barefooted after playing in the snow is beyond me. I am truly impressed with this ability. I, on the other hand, just sat through an entire play wearing my ski jacket and snow boots, and I was still cold. C’est la vie.

It really is too bad you have to live with such boring zombies… Your house must be so quiet! ;p

3. Cara says:

We all have that fear. Every one of us.

4. JCK says:

These photographs are so vivid and colorful. My favorite is of your daughter with her back to the camera, crouching on her feet. My girl is always walking around on her toes, unconscious of it.

5. Becky says:

Clearly one must wash the tooth after it has fallen out so that it’ll be shiny clean for the Tooth Fairy, or at least that’s how it worked at my home.

And consider yourself very fortunate, we had snow last night…and then it rained during the day…and it’s below zero again so that we have this awesome combination of ice and snow.

6. Lynda Hitt says:

I am always struck by just how “pretty” all of your kids are, and I know that most of them are boys, but they are still “pretty”. I love the dimples on Miles and your other son, since they are the ones that you show so often. I enjoy reading about your kids.

7. Bronnie says:

aaaw so lovely!
    all great pics showing their liveliness!

Fun! Makes me miss my mountain. It’s just gray and foggy here today, for the fifth day in a row.

9. suburbancorrespondent says:

I hate reaching in to that disposal!

10. carol says:

You have such beautiful ‘in between’ children that we hear so little about. eg not the two youngest and not the eldest. Please can you publish more photo’s of them so that we know that they really do exist and are part of this great lovable family that I check out every day.

11. Brigitte says:

As good as the hot cocoa, is looking at all the pink, pink cheeks and smiling faces!

12. Cary says:

I have noticed the brother and sister duo together in many pictures. Are they the kind that just can’t stand being away from each other, but when together just have to mess with the other one?

Chris says: Something like that, yes.

13. jody says:

Hey! I have that fear too. I stand guard over the switch if I have to reach down. ugh, I hate it.

Great pictures Chris. Your kids are just adorable. The snow looks so light and fluffy and inviting. That lovely day is just the reason I want a little cabin in Durango, CO one day. (sigh)

14. Alissa says:

i’m so glad i’m not the only one with the irrational fear of the garbage disposal.

Adorable pictures!

16. {heather} says:

So cute! Did Miles blow the marshmallow off of his spoon? LOL! Could be the reason for his uber cute laughter? ;)

17. Stacy says:

Maybe if your tooth is squeaky clean for the Tooth Fairy you get more money for it?!?!

18. Keri says:

I have that same fear too.

The pic of your son w/the little bit of chocolate around his mouth after the cocoa sums it up.

19. Tisha says:

You have such a beautiful family and you write about them in such a clever way. What are their names? The only one I’ve heard is Miles.

20. Wendy says:

Never a dull moment, eh?

21. Lilly says:

Beautiful kids and beautiful photos! I love the way you compose your photos, especially those shots out in the snow.

22. Patrice says:

I totally have that fear too! And I thought I was the only one - what did we do, watch too many horror/sci fi/cop shows in our youth? Your pictures are bringing back wonderful memories of growing up in MA and PA, spending as much time as possible in the snow, until I couldn’t feel any fingers or toes, then holding them on the cup of hot cocoa, even though it hurt, to warm them up. Of course, I was the kid, not my Mom having to deal with the dressing, undressing, and cleaning up after 6 kids! :) Now I live in CA and can only reminisce. But I still hold my teacup when it is so hot it hurts, to warm my hands. Great pics of great fun.

23. Kim says:

where did you get those mugs? i have been looking for big white mugs for two months now with the perfect handle.

24. Rae says:

Oh what a beautiful day! Your kids will have such good memories of days like that one. I know a mom who fished her son’s tooth out of the (not empty) toilet after it fell out while he was er, going. It was his first tooth. First son. The sacrifices.

25. Jenn A, says:

How fun! I love seeing the joy in their faces. It just makes me smile a sloppy, foolish grin at my laptop screen. The dramatic reenactments are my favorite! :)

26. Stephanie says:

Me too!!! I hate, hate, hate that damn disposal. So much in fact, that I’ve been known to use the Kitchen Aid tongs, lest my own hand be put in harm’s way.
    This is why I hate that commercial when the engagement ring goes down the drain, and you can hear the disposal just crunching away. Every time I see it, I am afraid the man is going to go in after the ring; it gives me the willies.

I’m also afraid of the heat register on the floor, but this I think is a little less rationale. My 7.5 month old daughter somehow pulled the metal grate off the other day, which revealed the black abyss below, and all I could think of was baby Jessica in the well.

Great pics! I love the one of your girl crouching on her feet. Roo sits that way at the table, too. I tell him to relax but I think it’s just a way to be ready to run on a moment’s notice.

28. Karin says:

You have beautiful children. You are truly blessed.

29. Kit says:

Chris! I have that very same fear, as it seems many do. Why is that? I HATE reaching in there.
    We had that same snow storm. Lovely. I love snow storms. And this one was fluffy enough that I didn’t even really mind the shoveling too much!

30. Laura says:

It’s funny to be seeing all that snow. Today I wore short sleeves, it was so hot!!

Just beautiful.

32. Jamie AZ says:

You’ve got a beautiful family, Chris! And I’m the same way, too, with fishing something out of the garbage disposal - I know it’s turned off, I’m not going to turn it on, but yet I still worry slightly it’s going to turn on with my hand in it. Or I’ll grab at something slimy… Not sure which thought is worse.

33. kalisah says:

all your kids look like they’re wearing lipstick and mascara. Such pretty little faces.

34. Victoria says:

I love your kids, I so do : )

35. Renee says:

I have that exact same fear each and every time I stick my hand in the disposal. I think it is from some Stephen King short story I read when I was young and impressionable. But it takes a supreme act of the will on my part to reach in there. I have to keep telling myself how silly it is to think the thing will just go on by itself.

36. Michelle says:

I thought I was the only one with that fear. I seriously want to turn off the power to the kitchen when I have to reach in there.

37. Norma says:

Your children and soooo beautiful!

38. carrie says:

Yup. The hot cocoa and the cocoa mustaches are definitely the BEST thing about the cold snow days!

39. Kelly says:

You have the most gorgeous family! And I make my husband fish things out of the disposal because I’m terrified about that same thing!

Chris says: Trust me, if he were home I would have made him do it!

40. Tracy says:

I love all those little bare feet!

41. Busy Dad Mumbles says:

Snow angels and hot chocolate…it doesn’t get any better than that. On those days we also have the dryer going to fluf and dry for the next round.

Enjoy the snow day.

42. ThePeachTree says:

What amazing photos you got from what looks like a thrilling day in the snow! Those pictures will prove memory for you and your children for years to come :)

43. Dot says:

I’m so glad to hear that everyone else is just as afraid of that disposal as I am. I’m with Stephanie on using the kitchen tongs to go fishing in there.

44. Nicole says:

Your kids are absolutely gorgeous. Just beautiful.

45. jen says:

This is the “me too” post for me! I really wanted that table from Ikea. We own some of those black chairs, and ours are missing some of the black too. And we too have a daughter with hair just like that (only blonde) who needs to come out of her shell - ha! And finally, me too, I’m scared to put my hand down THERE for the same reason, and probably the only thing that would get me to do it is if a piece of one of my children fell in there. I’m really sorry that happened to you; I hope it doesn’t happen to me too!

46. Anna says:

I usually end up barefoot because my socks are wet and cold. *shrug*

My oldest, after her first real sledding experience this year asked for chocolate milk. She’s the kind that would have gone out in the snow just for the excuse, and then she got it wrong, anyway. Oops!

47. cristen says:

On a different note entirely…I keep checking on “A Year Off…”–have you given up on that blog/effort? I was so interested! Please give us an update, when you can!

Chris says: I posted this morning, as a matter of fact.

48. Mary W says:

LOL I have the same fear about the garbage disposal. If I stick my hand in - it’s gonna suck my hand in with the disposal germs.

49. Elaine says:

I am SO impressed with your photo taking abilities. If you have a moment let me know what kind of camera you use, unless of course you are a pro, b/c then I probably cannot afford it… I just think your pics are absolultely beautiful and SO clear!

I love the dimples! ; )