Don’t Hate Me Because I Have Bacon

Don’t Hate Me Because I Have Bacon

February 26, 2008

meatloaf10

Take your Lipitor and head on over to Work It, Mom! for the recipe. Mini meatloaf wrapped in bacon.

waiting shovels

Outside my kitchen door. The shovels wait for the next snow storm. And guess what it was doing today?

This reminds me of a story.

Last week I was talking on the phone to Susan. And after we talked about our continuing plans to form a women’s only compound where we will eat chocolate and drink wine all day, in the event that we should be both be untimely widows. Not that we are hoping for anything. Most days anyway. Suddenly Susan exclaimed that she had forgotten the milk in the trunk from earlier in the day.

And she asked, “Do you think it will still be good?”

“Do I think it will still be good?”

“Yes. Do you think it is sour?”

After I laughed and laughed I told her that she should take her chances. Just because she had tormented me so with her hot weather. Here the milk would have been frozen solid.

Much like the water bottles I keep in the back of my van. They are now more likely to be used as a deadly projectiles should we have a car accident that being used for any rehydration should we get stranded in the snow and be forced to survive on frozen water and the petrified food that litters the floor.

Later on that day I was out and took a photo of the temperature in the van.

DSC_0151

And just in case you were unsure if that was cold:

DSC_0152

Completely random photo. I got an important work related phone call while I was sitting here just like this. Apparently I am not bright enough to hit reply on an email and send it to the other person and not myself. So the person was waiting on me and I was like this.

hair

Hott.

Comments

1. Paulla says:

Commisserating here about the weather - it’s snowing here in Maine, too. One weather guy tells us we’ll only get an inch. Another says 6-12. It’s anybody’s guess.

And I cracked up about the milk and water bottles. We have those same deadly weapons in OUR minivan!

Have a good one and thanks for the great stories each day! :)

2. rebecca says:

I use the paper foils too!

3. Sarah says:

Mmmm, bacon

4. whoorl says:

So Hott. (You, not the bacon. Although, mmmmm bacon.)

Chris says: Oh yeah, you know it.

5. gorillabuns says:

Man, what I wouldn’t do for a new cut and color. and bacon.

6. Headless Mom says:

What is the internet obsession with bacon? I’m really trying to get it but I’m just lost…..

Chris says: What’s not to like about bacon?

7. Hatchet says:

Mini meatloaf? Aiee! Cute food!

Am totally jealous of your bacon, although I do have a quarter of a cow showing up in the next three days. Quick! Send beef recipes!

And bacon. Mmmm!

Re: snow. While I don’t have any, my mother-in-law has 12′ (twelve FEET!) piles of it around her house. Yeah. Mountain livin’ is a RIOT during a big snow year in Colorado.

Chris says: 12 FEET, now that is hell.

8. Leeann says:

Chris,

I bookmarked the recipe. It sounds fabulous!

Leeann

9. The Wooden Porch says:

Your van sounds like it doesn’t like the cold either!

I had to laugh when I saw those meatloafs wrapped in bacon. YUM! I just posted a very funny video about bacon.

Yeah, but I bet your hair looks great now.
    Mmmm. Bacon.

11. Nekked Lizard Lady says:

Recipe does sound good. We are heading towards the 60s this weekend… I’m sooo excited. Very cool self-portrait!

12. Brigitte says:

Hey, my friends and I have a women-only-compound plan too!

P.S. Sizzle! You too sexy.

Where do I sign up for the women only compound?

I do have to admit winter does have the perk of not having rush home from the grocery because the food will spoil. I have frozen water bottles rolling around my van too.

14. PopMom says:

I’m so making that soon…My son won’t eat ANYTHING lately. But, Bacon is almost a guarantee.

15. rebeccaj says:

You are definitely the “go to” gal for recipes. Tried your chicken curry w/ sweet potatoes yesterday. Very tasty. Now I must try the mini meatloaf w/ bacon. Because everything’s better with bacon. Thanks!

16. Hatchet says:

Headless mom, not sure about bacon? Here’s a handy little flowchart to help you out.

Can’t remember where I saw it originally, but it’s in this post of mine. Scroll down, then click it to enlarge.

Perhaps that will help. : )

17. Hatchet says:

Oh and Chris: it is hell indeed. They went to Hawaii for a week and started making semi-serious plans to NOT return. Except for all these pesky grandchildren…!

18. Mary W says:

MMMM Bacon that shot of bacon needs to be the banner shot. I keep logging in here to look at all it’s bacony goodness.

19. Jaybird says:

What I wanna know is how in the world you escaped from the monkeys long enough to get your hair done?

And mini meatloaves look adorable in their bacon coats!

20. Anna says:

Holy crap, I could not live where you live. We are disappointed today because it dropped down to a high temp in the 50s after being in the 70s for a couple of weeks. I saw the first buds on my azaleas when I got home from work today. It’s winters like this that make me totally able to stand the 100 degree, humid summers (that and the beach!).

21. jen says:

You have 7 kids and still get time to do your hair with foils? Geez, I have two and haven’t done my hair for 3 years! What’s your secret?!!! (ok, so both mine are under 2.5yrs but never mind ;) !)

22. Kathryne says:

I notice that you list this post under “uncategorized” . CLEARLY bacon deserves it’s own catagory…..

23. Girlymom4 says:

I have scared my children to tears with the tin foil head!

24. Cindy says:

I must admit I had to find a measurement converter to figure out how cold it was. Funny, when the American blogs I read talk about hot weather in the 90’s-100’s F I understand completely — but as soon as “y’all” start talking about cold weather in the teens I’m completely confused. (19 F = -7C). I hear you. It’s been -16 C (3 F) a couple of times this week (with the wind chill factor -25C (-13F) on occasion). It really sucks!!

Will winter ever end? I know the Ontario groundhog did not see his shadow — but if the American one did see his shadow how does that affect my ground hog in the North??

25. Kasey says:

I don’t hate you, but I am jealous as hell.

26. Kat from The Burb Blog says:

It’s seriously cold here too! I hate it! If it doesn’t warm up soon, I’m going away. :)

27. Laural says:

Divine intervention led me to your site today, just in time to change our regular meatloaf dinner plans into mini-meatloaf wrapped in bacon dinner plans. How lucky am I!

28. Earl says:

Are you OK? It’s like going on three days with no entries……….. Last time this happened you had an allergic reaction…..

29. Javamom says:

I make similar meatloavsies, without the bacon (good idea though!) and instead of breadcrumbs, I use ground FLAXSEED!!! AND, no ketchup. I’ll post mine on my next Foodie Friday, or the one after.

30. rachel says:

I’ve made those before! Yum-alicious!
    Okay, that picture of you… super hot.
    I see mentions of you and comments by you on some of my favorite reads, so I finally decided to stop in.
    Well worth the stop.
    I think I’ll add you to my reader. You’re a hoot.

31. Sarah says: