Almost Friday

Almost Friday

February 29, 2008

Feels Like Home

My photo for today.

Captured by my 4 yr old daughter

I am drinking my coffee. Miles is about to go into the fridge and help himself to something. Another kid is laying on the floor in front of the roaring fire.

It feels like home, just a regular day.

But on a not so regular day, the eighth day, God created granola:

bars12

Behold the heavenly apparition floating on a cloud, or a plate. Read the recipe over here at Work It, Mom.

Comments

1. Jaime says:

Yay! I’m the first person to comment!
    Now I can’t think what to say…
    You have a pretty kitchen though. And it’s nice to see a picture of you. :)

2. Anna says:

Miles looks SO big!

Do you have TWO fridges? Wow! I have a tiny tinky little fridge circa 1955. But there are only three of us, so we manage.

I love the warm yellow you have on the walls. It’s both bright and cozy.

Chris says: One is a refrigerator and one is a freezer.

I meant Dinky. But “tinky” is kinda cute.

5. Jade says:

Looks warm and comfortable.
    Two fridges. I covet. I might also covet two washers and dryers. Just maybe.

6. CathyC says:

You have 2 refrigerators?! My life is just unfair. Tell me your kids made you that coffee and I will start crying right now.

7. Kristie says:

OK, this is really silly of me to even notice …. but are you drinking your coffee out of a straw???

I really like the tile you have in your kitchen. And the nice, cheerful yellow on the walls. We had yellow in our previous kitchen, which I loved, then we moved, and our new kitchen is painted green. Makes me feel like I’m cooking in a cave, with moss-covered walls. I should really invest in some yellow paint.

Chris says: Straw? No the photo is blurry and that is my blurry cup.

8. Kate says:

You look like a teenager. It’s not that I can’t believe you have seven kids, it’s that I can’t believe you’re a day over 20. And your house looks lovely, as always. I love this shot.

9. Another Chris says:

I agree that it’s nice to see a pic of you. And I also agree that I love the color on the walls! As for the two fridges, I’m assuming the far one is the “cow” freezer?

Some days I wish I was one of your kids. Today I’ll pick the one by the fire. Thanks as always for your wonderful photos. Sharing them is a gift to the rest of us!

10. Karate Mom says:

You know what one of my favorite things is in that picture? As a homeschooler, it’s the poster of the water cycle on the wall!

11. suburbancorrespondent says:

Love those 2 refrigerators - how convenient to have them both in the kitchen!

12. Sarah @ Ordinary Days says:

Your house is gorgeous! You guys have done an impeccable job on all the renovations. Do you have any “before” pictures of your kitchen?

13. B says:

I almost said, “You have two fridges? Wow!” And then I thought about it a minute and realized I have two fridges, so what’s the big deal? Add to that that ours is a family of four, not nine, and it just seems excessive for us to have two fridgegs. But I will say your fridges are much more attractive than mine. And ours aren’t both in the kitchen, which I suppose is a good thing since our kitchen isn’t that big.

Nice pic. I love the day-in-the-life type photos.

Chris says: One is a freezer and one is a refrigerator.

14. Debbie says:

Your daughter is just like you! Grabbing the camera for every day pictures. Tell her great job!

15. jody says:

Your kitchen is lookin’ good!

16. jamie says:

Ok, I’m just gonna say it - sorry if it’s a little creepy from a total stranger (who is also female) but HOW many kids do you have? Because you look fabulous! =)

Chris says: Thank you, my new BFF

17. ctmommie says:

Looks yummy, the granola…not you..that would be creepy…anywhoooo, im wondering if i could make this a little less “sugary”. My daughter is on a low sugar diet. Store bought granola bars are too high in sugar. I too have resorted to making most foods I serve our family at home, becasue of her allergy. Abby

Chris says: I don’t see why you couldn’t. You could also substitute molasses and water for the orange juice. I have never done it that way, but you could.

18. Not the Mama says:

Oh lovely. It’s a day in your life through your daughter’s eyes! The kitchen is gorgeous and I love the matching fridge/freezer. With a large family, that much space is necessary and that looks so much nicer than the huge, ugly freezer we had chilling in our eat-in kitchen growing up. Also, I know I’ve said it before, but I’m so envious of your wood burning stove. I know it wouldn’t get much use here, but I just want to curl up in front of it with a blanket and a book.

19. cristen says:

i like miles’s funny bedhead.

20. jonna says:

I have never commented, but I really want to know what color/brand paint you used in the kitchen, if you still have that information. We are in the process of painting right now and there is something a bit off with the yellow I chose.

Thanks to you, I have probably made more meals in the past month than in the last 6 months combined. Sad, but true.

21. Tina says:

I love your water cycle poster on the wall. The perfect finishing touch to the decor! ;-) (ok my science geekness is coming out!) … I thought I was the first to comment on that, and now that I go back and reread, I’m ont. But I do find it a fun “real” touch so I’ll leave my comment…at least it’s not about the fridge/freezer. :-D

22. Christy says:

jamie, that was my first thought too! I guess running after all of them makes you look great!

23. Heather's Garden says:

You know I was coveting your two fridges (I know, one’s a freezer, but it’s really the same thing, double the fridge and the freezer space) and then I remembered, duh we have another fridge in the basement ourselves. I just forget that it’s down there because it is my husband’s territory (both the fridge and the basement). We don’t need it on a daily basis since it’s usually just the two of us, but boy it comes in handy when we’re having a party! Now I’m only coveting your svelte figure, what’s my excuse for being so out of shape when I haven’t had any children let alone 7?

24. Wicked Stepmom says:

Love the photo.
    Love the fridge and freezer.
    Love the roaring fire.
    Love the Water Cycle pic (Cinderella had the same one a few yrs ago)
    Love the recipes. Share them with lots of ppl online daily.
    Hate you for being so skinny.
    Hate you even more for being so organized and having such a clean house with SEVEN kids i+ one husband living in it.
    Don’t care if that removes me from the running of being your BFF.
    Nope. Not one bit.

25. Nancy in AK says:

I’m interested in the color, too. We tried about five different types of yellow and straw etc. in our kitchen and we could not get it right so we went back to cream. Is this the same color on your living room walls?

26. Dianna says:

I don’t get it. You have seven children. I have none. You are at least 2 sizes smaller than me. How in the world do you do it?

27. Eva says:

Love the picture! My daughter tries to take pictures with my camera as well - but sometimes it is too complicated for her. What kind of a camera do you have? Tell your daughter she’s got a blooming career a head of her as a photographer :)

28. Char says:

I like the photo.

I like your house.

I love coffee! Glad you aren’t allergic to that too!

I enjoy your writing.

Your body looks way better than mine and I only had three kids!

Keep up the good work.

29. Lisa Lisa says:

I can’t help but notice how incredibly skinny you are. Reading your posts I thought you had dislikes about your body due to “Chubbiness”. Maybe I misunderstood??? You are a hot skinny Biatch!!! And that fact that your body’s been through 7 pregnancies, births, beast feedings etc. makes me even more jealous. I mean that in the most loving way :o)

30. Lilly says:

May sound weird but your house was in my dreams this morning. My family was going skiing with your family and we went up into your attic which was just about as big as a Home Depot store but much better organized of course and you had every size of ski and boot and pole. We were going to drive to the ski area in your family’s really giant yellow finned 1950s sedan that your son said you’d gotten from Mexico… That’s all. Just wanted to share that your blog has now entered my subconscious! Hmmm, I’ll bet the giant yellow sedan is the ‘big yellow house.’ Don’t know where the Mexico part came from.

31. kate says:

Unless I’ve missed it, you don’t often write about how you manage the cleaning. I’d love to know. Do you have a cleaner? Get your kids to do it? Use FlyLady? Have handy obsessive-compulsive habits that keep the place spotless?
    I’d really love to know!

32. Wendy says:

Um, when you are done with your house, can I have it, please?

33. Stephanie says:

As always, I strive to be more like you.

A separate fridge, a separate freezer? (getting tired of typing that yet? :-) )
    What a splendid idea! We have been going ’round and ’round unable to find a freezer/fridge combo that we liked, and huzah! You have solved another problem.

Also, I assume it is in the chasing of the seven children that makes you look like a 16 year old, but damn girl, you look good.

Finally, what brand of gluten free flour do you use? I’m trying to find one that doesn’t taste like milled cardboard, since my body also rejects the gluten.

34. Girlymom4 says:

Enjoy that cup of coffee!
    Your daughter is very talented~ great shot!

Your family reminds me of mine in so many ways! I can’t wait to get more of our home projects done and see some of the results like your house.

Have a great weekend!

35. Lisa- Domestic Accident says:

Chris, I have to confess I’m developing a love/hate relationship with you. I read you everyday, almost religiously. You make me laugh. You make me want to be a better mother. You make me want to be you.

But then you drive me crazy. You are skinny. And you eat bacon. And your house is always immaculate. How is that possible with so many kids? What parenting skill do you possess that I don’t. And your house is decorated perfectly. Warm colors. Comfortable furniture. No clutter. A big freezer and a big refrigerator? How much can I take?

I’ll definitely be discussing this relationship with my therapist. When I get one.

36. Ginny says:

So….which one’s the fridge and which one’s the freezer? Kidding! You know, our fridge is built into a cabinet similar to the way yours is built into the walls and a fridge guy told me that was a really bad idea. We’ve had some trouble,but I think that’s because all our appliances are lemons–have you ever had any problems? Also agreed. You look fan-freakin’-tastic.

37. kelly says:

jonna: it’s ‘barley’ by benjamin moore.

ha…can you tell i’ve been reading for awhile? no stalkering, i swear…i just have a weird memory that forgets where my keys are, but remembers the name of the paint a stranger who lives thousands of miles away has.

i didn’t even notice the water cycle poster til someone else mentioned. cuz that’s how my non-kid-having brain works.

i was too busy looking at:

- cute kids (both of miles’ little hands in motion)
    - cool tile
    - that rug i love
    - roaring fire
    - fridge/freezer
    - thin mom of 7 (looking like i kid herself) drinking out of what i too thought was a straw, or juice box
    - noticing it had to be a short person taking the pic due to chris’s head being cut off, and the edge of the counter

Chris says: Haha! I think I need to have a sidebar thing that says the name of the paint.

38. kelly says:

yes, add that to the sidebar, and this:

- ikea

- {whatever type camera/equipment you use} i don’t pay attention to EVERYthing

- one’s fridge, one’s a freezer

i’m sure there are more, i’m just too tired right now to think of them. i went to my 7 yr. old niece’s basketball game this afternoon, and now i’m exhausted. i don’t know how you kid people do it!

39. Jane says:

I realize this post is old… I made the granola bars today, but they never got crunchy - did I just not bake them long enough?
    please advise if you can…

40. cheyenne says:

hey lady, a shot like this is no way to win friends amongst the sweaty, harried, overweight mamas schlepping various objects/children throughout a 1,200 sq. ft. house with linoleum so out of date it hurts.

good thing you’re such a mahvelous writer.

-cheyenne