The Time Out Corner

The Time Out Corner

March 2, 2008

Time Out Corner

Usually he will stand there for a few minutes and then start screaming, “I am HAPPY now!”

Comments

1. Ginny says:

That kid is a riot!

2. Alison says:

The power of positive thinking, huh?

3. Divrchk says:

The walls of our timeout corner were so filthy we had to repaint them.

4. Law Student Hot Mama says:

I kind of wish somebody would put ME in time out, sometimes . . . long enough that I could get a grip on the crazy things I find coming out of my mouth . . . .

5. Sleeping Mommy says:

Mine scream “I’m not screaming anymore!”

6. Sarah @ Ordinary Days says:

What a cutie! Love the footed jammies. We still sport those around here, too. :)

7. brit says:

mine just repeats. “okay, okay, okay”

8. Anna says:

He looks so little!

9. Victoria says:

LOL!

10. Lisa says:

Hahahaahahah……..There is one in EVERY family! Too funny…….That made my day ;)

11. debby says:

Priceless!

When my daughter was little, she’d put herself into her time-out corner and I’d have to figure out what she had done to deserve it! Most often, she had emptied my dresser drawers.

12. Frugal Carol says:

Your house always looks so clean!! What is your secret?
    Frugal Carol

13. Jennie says:

So adorable, and he does look pretty happy there.

I’ve been reading your blog for about a year now. I just had to tell you…my daughter is 3 and she does the exact same thing! She’ll stand there and either yell out I’m happy now or I’m a good girl now! Amazing how they can have a change of heart so quickly!

15. Jamie AZ says:

My 4 year old just can’t keep quiet when he’s in time out, even when getting up depends on it! Love the Ikea mirrors lined up!

16. Deputy's Wife says:

Good picture!

Mine says “This is a mistake!”

I am thinking that there will be accountability issues later on…

17. Stephanie says:

My husband, who is standing across the room, saw my computer screen.

He asked, “is that the ‘favorite Miles…in the corner?’” I nodded, and he then said, “oopsie.”

Cute shot, even if he wasn’t being “happy.”

18. Beth from Around The Funny Farm says:

Haha! I used to put the responsibility right on their shoulders.

I would say “Go to your room and you can come out whenever you are ready to be _________.” Be it calm, nice, apologize, ect!

I never had to do that to terribly often. lol

I’m pretty much past this stage… TG!

19. Haley says:

I complimented the family sitting next to us at a restaurant yesterday on the behavior of their two kids (approx. 4 and 6 yrs. old). They smiled and said, “Time outs definitely work!” Regardless, their kids were better behaved then some of the adults in our group!

20. crunchy carpets says:

LOL…Too funny.
    Mine usually tell me they don’t like that…..er yes dear that IS the reasoning behind a PUNISHMENT!

21. Grace says:

Your son is too funny….and I have to say that I ADORE your baseboards!

22. j schmidt says:

Yah, what frugal carol said! What does your routine look like? I only have two and our house is always a mess

23. Jenn says:

Mine yells, “I’M ALL DONE MY FIT!”

24. Kathi says:

Awww……..Miles is too cute. I miss the time out corner. My youngest is nine and by default she gets away with murder because I am too busy fighting the 16 year old over piercings, language, etc…….God a time out corner would be awesome now. Oh wait, he’s currently grounded for another month to his room. I love your photos, you capture such a range of everyday life. Enjoy these moments they will all be teenagers soon.

25. Karen E says:

My three year old will sob and carry on - then all of a sudden he’ll straighten up, dry his tears with the back of his hand and declare, “I’m happy, I’m okay.”

Too funny!

26. Ani says:

My 2-yr-old comes out of his room with his fingers in his ears saying…

“I’m turning my listening ears on now! Can I come out?”

:-) And that, is why I don’t return him to the hospital.

27. Michelle says:

mine just sniffles quieter and quieter. Or like yesterday, when asked if he wanted to apologize and make up, looked up seriously and said, “No.”

28. kelly says:

ha…he’s such a little sagittarius. i texted a friend of mine friday night after work asking her, “are u happy yet?”

we are quite the handful, but at least we’re a FUN handful!

p.s. - what’s the bucket on the left for? potty breaks? lol…

p.p.s. - digging those footie pj’s he’s sporting.

Chris says: No what looks like a bucket in the foreground is a very large floor vase.

29. Alisa says:

My first thought was that he looks too happy to be in a time out. He’s so cute. He ‘almost’ makes me miss my boy at that age. At least your Miles’ stories make me miss my boy at that age, just not the energy it took me to deal with his shenanigans.

30. Jules says:

Mine always pull “I have to go to the bathroom REALLY BAD!”

Chris says: Same here. But then you just have to go to time out after you potty so there really isn’t any incentive.

31. Wendy says:

How could you put that sweet baby in Time Out!

Just had to say it to someone. This is what my Mother in law use to say to me regarding my daughter. LOL!!! Glad to see he isn’t all witty and cuteness, but sometimes not so good.

32. jody says:

Aww. He looks so tiny in that corner.

33. Frugal Carol says:

I am guessing you have no pets since there is never any fur balls on your pergo floors. Again… just jealous!! LOL
    Frugal Carol

Chris says: They are wood floors, not pergo. And nope, no pets.

34. deb says:

Too funny and love your photos.

Luke puts himself in timeout in his room in his bed. I wish I could do that.

36. Miriam says:

Mine yell “Somebody help me!” from the time out spot. And I HATE when their father sends them there during dinner because they’re usually covered in food, and my dining room chairs (time out is in there) are white! Course, they might not be if you would come and redecorate my house for me…pretty please?!! Love your place!

37. falwyn says:

My boy had pajamas just like that. But now they are too small. He comes out all sneaky like from being sent to his room with tear streaks on his face and a tragic watery smile and says, “Mom? I happy now.” In this pitiful voice. And then I consider turning myself over to the firing squad for being a BAD MOMMY.

38. Mayberry Magpie says:

Who couldn’t get happy fast standing in that lovely corner.

Your photos are fabulous. (And so is your house.)

Mayberry Magpie

39. Noble Pig says:

I love that.

40. carrie says:

Oh, that is so cute.

41. kelly says:

still…potty break for boys! ha…it really is a good thing i never had kids.

42. OMSH says:

Bwahahahahaha!

That is almost what Kenny says.

Except he says, “I can be nice now.”

43. Betty says:

That takes me back to the time when I tried EVERYTHING with my ADHD son (before I knew he had it). He loved timeouts, so that didn’t work.

Then I read a book that said start counting to three. Say “one” and if the behavior happens again, say “two” and I added “you don’t want me to get to three,” and it the behavior continued then say “three” and follow through on some form of punishment.

Funny thing, once I started using that method I only had to get to three the first time. Of course with the ADHD I’d always have to go to “two” and then the behavior would stop.

It worked all the way up to age 18 with backtalking. Even the last time I used it, it worked, because he didn’t want to find out what was waiting for him at “three.”

44. Melissa says:

My husband used to have to stand in the corner. Then one day he got creative with his anger and used his fingernail to scratch a stick figure with a TV-head into the wallpaper. When he left for college, his mother gave him a gift box. She had miraculously lifted that wallpaper all in one sheet, matted, and framed it. We still have TV Man to this day.

45. halloweenlover says:

I love Miles, he is so stinking cute.

Does the time out corner work?

Chris says: Hmmmmm. He doesn’t really like having to go there.

46. gwendomama says:

dude, just looking at that boy makes me happy. right. now.

love.

47. Terri says:

Ha! Funny, my daughter will snivel with tears, “No Mommy I’d be good now, I’d be good now.” when the time out bench is activated. Sometimes I just hate following through.