Books and cake

Books and cake

March 11, 2008

Peg left this comment for me asking for some advice:

Chris:

Not a comment but a question. You have a large library of books and was wondering if you have a suggestion for a book to give to my daughter (the card on her shower gift) as she awaits the birth of her first child. It’s been a long time since I bought a children’s book.

Wise internet, what would you suggest?

My brain has turned to mush this morning as I try to upload photos and write a post about carrot cake. Yes, carrot cake! My 12 yr old son bakes it for his birthday cake every year and I thought I would shamelessly steal share his recipe.

Comments

1. Divrchk says:

We love Brown Bear, Brown Bear.

2. Headless Mom says:

Goodnight Moon is my vote!

3. Amy Y says:

One of my all time favorites is “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein. Also, “Where the Sidewalk Ends” is a great classic too…

4. Kate says:

Guess How Much I Love You or Runaway Bunny. Those are the ones that always made my voice crack, choking back tears, while reading to my babies. Beautiful mommy/baby love books…

5. Kristin says:

Guess How Much I Love You (one of our favorites), anything from the Book of Virtues, anything from Eric Carle, the Jesus Storybook Bible, a blank journal for her to write special events or sayings as the child grows/letters to the child as he/she grows…the first entry can be from Grandma

6. Tarrant says:

At the risk of seeming way too crunchy-On The Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier. I read it to my kids every year on their birthday (yes, even the big kids) and give it to every mom-to-be in my life.

7. Kathy Hershey says:

There is a wonderful book called “Someday” by Alison Meghee and Peter H. Reynolds. I have a brand new copy waiting for the day my daughter tells me she is expecting.

8. Pamela says:

I’d like to shamelessly steal any 12 year old who bakes cakes.
    I third Kate and Kristen’s suggestions on Guess How much I love you or Runaway Bunny. They are so sweet.

9. lora says:

Of course Goodnight Moon. Also, someone bought me “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom” by Bill Martin Jr. and my son has loved it since he was just a few months old.

10. Bree says:

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch is my vote…

11. Lisa says:

“Love you forever” by Robert Munsch. Gets me every time.

12. Amy says:

We love all things Shel Silverstein here too. But for a new mom… I don’t think “Hush Little Baby” by Sylvia Long can be beat. A great new take on a song we all know.

13. Beth B. says:

Goodnight Moon is a classic. Or anything by Dr. Seuss; the repetition/rhyming will captivate a baby. Once baby is older; I love anything by Richard Scarry!

Beth B.

14. Ashley says:

I love you forever!! by Robert Munsch

15. another kate says:

I Love You Through and Through - it’s a great ‘i love you’ book that you can get through with out crying. Plus as the baby gets older you can read it ‘together’ “… i love your hair (point to hair) and eyes (point to eyes)” etc…. can you tell it’s one of our favs? :)

16. melissa says:

Goodnight Moon is a must have! Get it in the board book form.

17. Kim says:

Where the Wild Things Are!
    It was my favorite when I was little and the one I always give.
    I also love Where the Sidewalk Ends.

18. NoMasNinos says:

I also love “Guess How Much I Love You”, “Runaway Bunny”, and my ultimate favorite is “Mama, Do You Love Me”" by Barabara M. Joose. It’s a wonderfully rich cultural story which portrays aspects from the Inuit culture.

19. AmyG says:

My baby and I love “Good Night, Good Night Sleepyhead” and “Love That Baby.” Both perfect for very little ones who don’t yet have patience for books that take too long.

20. Lady of Perpetual Chaos says:

We love “Who Loves Baby?” which is tiny and goes well on a gift. Also, Goodnight Moon. We have the large Lap Edition and love it.

21. Tanya says:

Love You Forever by Robert Munsch - I still can’t get through this story without choking up.

Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton - my little guy still enjoys doing the actions to this book.

22. Suzanne says:

Everyone has great suggestions, but I have to add mine. It is author Mem Fox and her book, Time for Bed. Time for Bed is amazingly fabulous. It has predictable rhyme (so they can “read” with you when they’re a little older) and gorgeous illustrations.

23. Cerabee says:

“I’ll love you forever” has always been a big hit at showers.

24. Candy says:

“Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch. It’s kinda creepy, but my kids loved it.

Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You, and, if your daughter would enjoy Christian books, Is God Always With Me? and God Gave Me You

26. Jennielynn says:

My vote is for Guess How Much I Love You. My children still love that book.

27. Sarah says:

I like Good Night, Moon or The Mitten, by Jan Brett. Another personal favorite is The Owl and The Pussycat by Edward Lear and illustrated by Jan Brett, but it can take a while for a child to grow into it.

28. Missy says:

Guess How Much I Love You (Sam McBratney)

Oh Baby, the Places You’ll Go (by Tish Rabe/ a take on Dr. Seuss) - cute for Mommy at this point

Runaway Bunny, Goodnight Moon, Big Red Barn (anything by Margaret Wise Brown)

Love You Forever (Robert Munsch)

29. Melina says:

The Velveteen Rabbit

30. Jen W. says:

I just read this to my daughter at the library, and made a note to myself to buy it for the next person I know that has a baby girl: Tummy Girl by Roseann Thong. It was sweet!

31. Julie says:

If she’s religious, the “just in case you ever wonder” board book by Max Lucado is a winner.

We also enjoy all the ones previously mentioned.

32. Jessica says:

Mama Do you Love Me? “I will love you forever and for always because you are my dear one”. My daughter is 16 now but it is still the catch phrase that reminds us of the first few years of our lives together. Also, More, More, More Said the Baby - Every baby loved this once they could see colors and then, to remind you of the what is real when you are having a really bad day with your kids, Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig.

33. Crisanne says:

Time for Bed by Mem Fox is one of my favorites. Also, Sleepy-Time Dance by Katherine Grace Bond has been each of my kids’ favorite. One more, Goodnight, Gorilla by Peggy Rathmann is fun and allows the reader to insert most of the story.

34. wookie says:

My cousin brought (new copies of) books that her kids wore out:
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    Goodnight Moon
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Just about anything by Robert Munsch*
    Just about anything by Dr. Seuss

I also got a copy of the real Winne-the-Pooh books for my oldest, which I think she’ll appreciate more when she’s older. If you’re looking at a long-range plan for a library, getting boxed sets of books like the Narnia series, the Little House on the Prarie series, things like that. Good solid classics.

*I can’t STAND “I love you forever”, personally. That’s a book for parents, not for kids.

35. kelly says:

I love you forever! We love this book…I can see were some may say it is creepy but it is not meant that way. Heck I would love to be able to hold my teenagers and tell them that. Alas, I will settle for a super quick hug and on a very good day a kiss.

36. Alissa says:

The Giving Tree gets my vote… brings me to huge sobbing tears every time.

37. Jen says:

Snuggle Puppy by Sandra Boynton and all of her other board books are great baby gifts. And of course, Goodnight Moon.

There’s also this link, I’ve found them to have great suggestions: http://www.beginningwithbooks.org/list.html
    Gotta admit I’m with the person who called “Love You Forever” a little creepy, along with “The Giving Tree.” You definitely either love them or hate them.

38. Jen says:

Oops, sent that away by accident. That link is to a yearly list of “Best Books for Babies.”

I do love Sylvester and the Magic Pebble dearly, too, but like a lot of these others, it isn’t a book to read to babies.

But then, we’ve got sort of a severe book problem in this house and feel there are books for every single moment of every single day!

Baby Angesl by Jane Cowen-Fletcher

I still have this book from when my daughter was little. The pictures are so cute.

40. Meg from Georgia says:

Hands down, The Giving Tree !!!

41. Courtney says:

My daughter (14 months) loves all of the books by Sandra Boynton. I’d highly recommend any of her books for babies. Snuggle Puppy is one she got before she was born and we read it every night before bed. So I’d say Snuggle Puppy would be a good one!

42. Lori says:

Good night moon, a classic. All of my boys liked it at some point.

43. Rocks In My Dryer says:

Our family favorites are Goodnight Moon, Jamberry, Silly Sally and Time For Bed.

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is a favorite of my children.

45. Shelly says:

We like -

Goodnight Moon
    The Going to Bed Book by Sandra Boyton
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    Jesse Bear books
    Love Song for a Baby - I think I like this one more than the kiddos, but it’s very moving.

46. Kelly says:

Both my kids had there own copies and wore out Goodnight Moon and Goodnight Gorilla, we look for the mouse on each page with both books, and in Goodnight Gorilla we have the bonus of the moon and the ballon to also find on each page as well.

47. Stephanie says:

My friend sent me “When You Were Just a Heartbeat” by Laurel Molk after my daughter was born. It is just beautiful!

I also vote for Goodnight Moon and Guess How Much I Love You.

48. warillever says:

The Very Busy Spider by Eric Carle
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom illustrated by Lois Ehlert
    Freight Train by Daniel Crews
    We’re Going on a Bear Hunt by Michael Rosen and Helen Roxenbury

I’ll Love You Forever wouldn’t be creepy if it weren’t for that page where the mother drives accross town with a ladder strapped to her car. That is just freaky.

49. Kelly says:

The Runaway Bunny

Two suggestions: “Peek-a-Boo” and “Each Peach Pear Plum” are written/illustrated by the husband and wife team of Janet and Allan Ahlberg. Both employ language and meter extremely well. Both are charmingly illustrated. “Peek-a-Boo” is told from the baby’s perspective. Adults will appreciate that it is set in London in the 1940’s; an unusual twist. I especially like it because the scenes inside the house look refreshingly lived-in, no sterilized perfection here, it’s real life. “Each Peach Pear Plum” is a wonderful romp with familiar fairy tale characters. Both come in board book editions.

Just my opinion here, but stories like “The Giving Tree,” while very touching well written are not (in my limited experience) appreciated by the very young. Keep in mind that it’s going to be several years before this little child is going to be able to understand, much less appreciate, the sentiment of that story. (Have to join the ranks that loathe “I Love You Forever” Blech. Cloying in the extreme.)

Can’t go wrong with Margaret Wise Brown. Personal favorites: The Big Red Barn, Two Little Gardeners.

51. Kim says:

Because of You by B.G. Hennessy is beautiful. It shows all the ways the world is different now that *you* are in it. For example: “Because of you there is one more person who needs help and can help others.” Ultimately all these kind acts lead to the possibility for peace. Really nice book.

Someday, by Alison McGhee, is a BEAUTIFUL children’s book. It’s also a wonderful book for a mother to give to an adult child when they are expecting–or have just had–a child.

God Gave Us You, by Lisa Tawn Bergren, is a sweet book about a little polar bear being told by his parents about how they prayed and anticipated his arrival.

And others that have been mentioned…

Guess How Much I Love You
    Goodnight Moon

53. Melody says:

I 100% agree with “Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch. That is my all-time favorite kids book, and I even memorized it all and recited it everyday to my son when I was pregnant with him. *sniff*

54. Missy says:

“You Are My I Love You” by Maryann Cusimano made me weep with anticipation at my baby shower and still brings a tear to my eye 3 years later. Definitely a “mama” book.

Pat the Bunny, Anything by Sondra Boyton (I love the Barnyard Dance), The Monster at the End of This book (CLASSIC!!) it’s a sesame street book.

56. Stephanie says:

For a shower gift that mommy will enjoy, Guess How Much I Love You, by Sam McBratney is a great one!

For a book that baby will enjoy, anything from the “Priddy Books” line is great (Fuzzy Bee & Friends, is a favorite at our house.) They make really nice, soft, tactile books for baby, and not only do they have great pictures and illustrations, they also have nice lyrical text.

57. dangitAnge says:

Anything by Sandra Boynton!

58. Noble Pig says:

I always give, “The Giving Tree” by Shel Silverstein.

59. Amy says:

Hrm, not to start a debate, but I also detest “Love You Forever.” It’s creepy and seems so codependently weird. The mother crawling through her grown child’s bedroom window to hold him. Eesh.

If you’re looking for something that’s thematic of a mother’s love for her child (you mention making it the “card” on her present) I second the vote for “Mama Do You Love Me?” It’s sweet and multicultural, plenty of fun new words (mukluks, anyone?), and describes how a mother’s love withstands all tests, in a humorous and gentle way. You’ll smile knowingly when you read it, as a mother of a grown child, and your daughter will soon understand …

Have fun looking and congrats on grandmotherhood!

60. onetiredmama says:

If You Were Born A Kitten. The sweetest book ever. I bought a bunch of them of the Borders clearance rack once and I’m saving them for baby showers.

61. Brittany says:

The Giving Tree, anything by Eric Carle, Goodnight Moon, and Chicka-chicka-boom-boom.

A good children’s book for older kids (but still a good one to read to the younger ones) is The Little Prince. A great book.

62. Catherine says:

Do you know the sex of the baby? I know this sounds weird, but a lot of the main “characters” in toddler books are boys. When #2 came along we had piles of books, but wanted a few more, so we concentrated on girl character books. Our favorites: I Know a Rhino by Charles Fuge and Gossie/Gossie & Gertie by Olivier Dunrea.

63. Earl says:

For a little older, anything Jan Brett, her illustrations are out of this world with detail, and the little side illustrations tie in wonderfully. And Mother, Mother, I Want Another by Maria Polushkin

64. Joyce says:

My first thought was Good Night Moon, lots of recommendations for that one. Also almost anything by Eric Carle, “The Very Hungry Caterpillar”, the Grouchy Lady Bug, Does a Kangroo Have a Mother Too. He wrote dozens.

65. angie says:

Goodnight Moon and Love You Forever are two books we’ve been reading since my kids were born. My daughter still loves them and requests them regularly. We also love all of Sandra Boynton’s books. A more recent discovery is We’re Going on a Bear Hunt - my daughter was saying the repeat parts with me by the second reading.

66. Jan says:

Definitely “On The Day Your Were Born” by Debra Frasier. And I absolutely love “I Love You, Little One” by Nancy Tafuri.

Anything that was a favorite of hers as a kid is fun, too. I love having “The Monster At The End of This Book” and “Mr Brown Can Moo, Can You?” because they were ones I loved as a kid.

Am I the only one who isn’t crazy about “Guess How Much I Love You”? It reads like one-upmanship to me. Every line from Big Nutbrown Hare sounds like, “Oh yeah? Well, I can do [insert bigger, better thing here]“. Maybe that’s the point, that kids will never love their parents as much as their parents love them, but it rubs me the wrong way.

My firstborn was a year before I could get through “On The Day You Were Born” without stopping to compose myself; that’s my first choice, especially for a first-time mom. (The Munchkin must have thought there was supposed to be a dramatic break after every page and that the last page was supposed to be whispered.)

67. Lisa says:

Everyone Poops is a great one, especially during the potty training fun!

68. Michelle says:

Oh the Places You will Go! It is a great Dr. Seuss book. One of my five kids favorite!

69. Andrea Sisco says:

On The Day That You Were Born by Debra Frasier (there is also a journal based on the book). Talks about babies arrival in conjunction with nature.

70. Ali says:

Goodnight Moon or Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, for sure!

71. Heather's Garden says:

The Little Engine That Could is an all time favorite — my father still loves telling me that I was potty trained to it. Just envision the I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, and I could!

72. Steph says:

Goodnight moon and Brown bear are the fav’s for the little’s in my house. That’s 72 children under 4 years of age (I’m a foster parent) and these are the ones I’ve had to replace about a hundred times because each child gets so obsessed with them that they wear them out then I have to send a copy of each home with them on top of them. I had a 4 month period where I purchased these books 10 times each because the kids love them so much!

73. Susy says:

My kids loved all the Sandra Boynton board books. Other beloved board books included the Big Dog and Little Dog series by Dav Pilkey and anything by Dr. Seuss. Oh, don’t forget Go Dog, Go! (can’t remember author but it’s usually with the Dr. Seuss books in the stores.)

74. Amy says:

I’m not a mom, but am a daughter and I also suggest “Guess How Much I Love You” and “Just In Case You Ever Wonder” by Max Lucado. I can’t read either one without crying.

75. jodi says:

On the birth of a second child I would give
    Five Minutes Peace by Jill Murphy. Cute for both mom and child and will give laughs and smiles to a parent on a hectic evening.
    For the birth of a boy I would give
    The Salamander Room by Anne Mazer. The photos and story are again wonderful for both parent and child.
    Another book is The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn. Just plain cute.

76. LeeAnn says:

Any brightly colored, big picture book or one that you don’t mind reading over and over and over again, like Dr. Seuss.

77. Melissa says:

I agree w/ ” I love you forever”. My mom got it for me, and since then the kids have all loved it. I will say though, that my husband agrees w/ the creepy comment. I had never thought about it, but he thought it was a bit ’stalker like’ , in a comical sort of way. I still think it’s sweet though :)

And, how do I train my kids to make cakes on their birthday- sounds like a great birthday tradition!

78. Keesha says:

Guess I’m not as sentimental as everyone else, but we love silly books here (I have a 7 month old and 2 1/2 yr old). I’d vote for anything by Sandra Boynton. We read her board books over and over and over and over. Both my children also really like the touchy-feely board books from DK.

79. Natalie says:

Lots of favorites up there, but I have a special Dr. Seuss book recommendation, and your reader can give it to her daughter NOW, to read to her baby even before s/he is born:

_Oh Baby, the Places You’ll Go!_

Of course, any of the Dr. Seuss books are gret, and so are many of those suggestions above; I’m sure your reader could close her eyes, point to a suggestion, and find that it’s a perfectly delightful book.

80. Molly says:

My nephew (he’s 16 mos.) loves “Crunch Munch,” “Snuggle Wuggle,” and “Wiggle Waggle” by Jonathan London.

81. Kelly says:

“On the Day You Were Born” gets my vote!!!! It is such a fantastic book with a wonderful message.

82. heidi says:

i thought the gift is for the DAUGHTER to read… did i read it wrong?
    If it’s for her, i would suggest ‘Operating Instructions” by Annie Lamott.
    If it’s for the baby, i would suggest: (in this order)
    Go Dog Go
    Is Your Mama a Lama
    5 Little Monkies Jumping on the Bed

83. judi says:

my five have all loved good night moon, pat the bunny, and all the sandra boynton board books- barnyard dance, a cow says moo, etc.
    they also have loved some of the old classics like blueberries for sal, one morning in maine,mike mulligan and his steam shovel etc.

84. Ann says:

Love You Forever and Pat the Bunny. Do they still make scratch and sniff books? My kids loved those until there was no scent left.

85. Lisa says:

One of my favorites is “I Love You Stinkyface” - a sweet testament to unconditional love without the stalker mom feel of Munsch’s “I love you forever.” Seriously, the mom climbing into her adult son’s bedroom to rock him to sleep creeps me out. But maybe I’m just cynical.

“Mama always comes home” does it for me in the tears department; maybe a good choice for a work-out-of-the-home mom.

And less romantic than the other options are Sandra Boynton’s collection. “Moo, Baa, La La La” is my son’s favorite, but he loves them all.

On a related note, there’s a nice book for parents called “Reading for Babies, Toddlers and Twos” that has great ideas for books for the younger set, including some less well-known ideas.

86. Judy says:

Books for newborns (and their parents): Time for Bed (Mem Fox) is superb! Good Night Moon (Margaret Wise Brown) is a classic. Guess How Much I Love You (McBratney) is wonderful. Hush Little Baby by Sylvia Long is a lovely ‘new’ version of the classic. The above are all good nap and bedtime transition books to help with bonding and with helping the child get ready to sleep. These are also good for regular story times: Goodnight Gorilla (Rathman) is fantastic. Books by Eric Carle, Maurice Sendak, Lois Ehlert, Sandra Boynton and Dr. Seuss are all good reading.
    I do NOT recommend Munsch’s book; it is one that is either loved or hated. I find it sick and creepy.

87. Jessica says:

The Very Hungry Caterpillar. My son has loved this book since he was a baby and he still loves it at three.

88. Ashley says:

I immediately thought of “I love you forever” by Robert Munch… also, “Are you my mother” by P.D. Eastman is a great book

Both bring me to tears every time (even as a child my mom says I would cry over them)… but they are fantastic books and I strongly recommend them!

89. Janssen says:

Baby Brains is both funny and sweet.

90. Ms. Carson says:

Love You Forever By Robert Munsch
    OR
    You Are My I Love You by Maryann Cusimano

Both make my cry depending on the day….

91. kate says:

my sister had the same for her shower of her first born. I gave a book that reflected what who my sister was and what she would give to her baby.

I do not like I love you forever at all it is way too stalkerish for me. The mother climbs into her grown sons window. Uh scary!

92. Lynette says:

“Oh, Baby, the Places You’ll Go!: A book to be read in utero” by Dr. Seuss/Tish Rabe. It has all the Dr. Seuss rhyming but feels right reading before the baby is even born, and it isn’t too sentimental. Really, does a pregnant woman need any more reason to burst into tears?!

I have to vote against “Love You Forever” - I was given two copies and can’t decide if I can’t get through it due to choking up or being a little weirded out (probably both).

93. Sherri says:

Love You Forever, by Robert Munsch. I received it as a shower gift for the birth of my first son. It still makes me cry.

94. Emily says:

Hush Little Baby” by Sylvia Long is the BEST!!! It is all about the things his mom will SHOW (not buy) him/her. My 4 year old still loves to sing it with me.

95. Shelley says:

Ok, I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks “Love You Forever” is creepy and weird.

I love Goodnight Moon, Guess How Much I Love You and The Very Hungry Caterpiller.

96. Beth says:

“I Am a Baby!” by Elizabeth Hathon.

Very simple board book but has pictures of babies–”here are my hands”, “here are my fingers”, “here are my toes” (always the favorite). My kids were all captivated and it taught them their “parts”.

All the above ones mentioned (We loved “Time For Bed” by Mem Fox!) too as well as the cat books called “Bean’s Games”, “Bean”, and “Bean’s Night”, authored by Sarah Hines-Stephens. They all had a bit of a play on words which is fun.

97. Melissa says:

Good Night Moon and anything from Sandra Boynton…. we loved the Going To Bed Book.

98. Sarah G. says:

How about the Very Hungry Caterpillar or anything else by Eric Carle. Beautiful and very sweet books.

99. Paula says:

Sandra Boyton’s Moo Baa LA LA LA!
    The cow says moo, the sheep says baa, three singing pigs say LA LA LA!

100. Judy says:

I have four kiddos and we love a lot of the ones mentioned above but also really love a ‘newer’ one called “Ten Little Ladybugs.” It is a counting book with great rhyme and brilliant colors.

101. Rachel says:

I’ve always been horrified by The Giving Tree. We got it as a baby gift and it completely shocked me that it would even still be around, much less a classic. If you sort the Amazon reviews by star numbers and read the one-stars, they pretty much hit on all the high points of why it disturbs me so. Even if you disagree, though, I think there are enough people out there who are put off by it that it wouldn’t be a good choice for a gift. (Especially for an expectant mother, even though it might be strangely appropriate for her…”Well, it’s all downhill from here; you’ll love the kid unconditionally while it takes everything you have to give without a ‘thank you’ or a second thought, and then it’ll come back and take some more! Can’t say we didn’t warn you!”)

102. anne says:

I love the classics mentioned, but a newer ‘tear jerker’ for mom is Let Me Hold You Longer by Karen Kingsbury.
    It reminds us to cherish every moment.

103. Julie Stiles Mills says:

My sister is pregnant for the first time and I’m getting her a book that will enlighten and prepare her for the future with this precious little one:

If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

(kids love it too!)

104. Pickel says:

“I’m Going on a Bear Hunt”…its one of my son’s favorites. And, “I Think I Can”.

Since you are the Grandma perhaps you can get her a book basket and fill it with all her favorites from childhood?

105. Hazel says:

“Love You Forever” by Robert Munsch - DEFINATELY! I still cry every time. It is such a beautiful and touching story.

106. Amanda says:

Never too early to start with Beatrix Potter and A.A. Milne (When We Were Very Young, especially).
    I usually buy Make Way for Ducklings or other McCloskey titles because EVERYONE else seems to give Love You Forever and Guess How Much I Love You and Goodnight, Moon and Runaway Bunny.

I also love to give Free to Be…You and Me and Hailstones and Halibut Bones. I like the idea of giving a book or books that can be enjoyed throughout childhood, if not life.

107. celeste w. says:

Check out this blog by children’s author Esme Codell, who reviews tons of books: http://planetesme.blogspot.com/

108. Annette says:

My girls loved the board book of Good Night Moon; my son, his board book of The Big Red Barn. For mom, The Mommy and Daddy Book by Karen Hull. Best compilation of practical advice from moms and dads on every topic imaginable. It was my best friend with my babies. I give it as a baby shower gift frequently. Congrats!

109. karen t says:

‘The Baby Catalogue’ and ‘Peepo’ by Janet and Allan Ahlberg were both favourites in our home. I love Pickel’s idea of the basket filled with her daughters favourite childhood books. Going to remember that one for my own grandchildren.

110. Lori says:

Mommy’s Best Kisses by Margaret Anastas. One of my favorites.

My mother got me “Love That Baby” by Susan Milford right after my son was born. It’s not one of the more well-known books, but was the perfect first book. He loved it as an infant and still loves it. The text is simple and the pictures bright. The youngest toddler will learn it by heart.

112. salsaqueen says:

I always give Aesop’s Fables. I love the timelessness of the stories.

113. Charity says:

I agree with Pickel! I love stumbling across books that I loved as a little kid. What a wonderful way to start new memories! My favorite was “The monster at the end of the book” with Grover and my boys love it now too. I know, I was strange.
    But I would add Goodnight moon to the basket too!

114. Jen says:

Another vote for “The Hungry Caterpillar” by Eric Carle, and “Goodnight Moon”. Also, “The Tiger Who Came To Tea” by Judith Kerr and “The Elephant and the Bad Baby” by Elfirda Vipont are current favorites of my 3 and 4 year olds.

115. Elizabeth says:

Many good suggestions here - it should probably be a board book. I get the issues with Love Your Forever - it’s not for babies at least, but some older kids find the over-the-top mom reassuring as they worry we’ll stop loving them like crazy as they get older. Guess How Much I Love You also bothered me - why get so competitive about love? I recommend Chinaberry Book Service as an ongoing resource for this grandma.

116. wookie says:

I totally forgot to throw in my vote for “Pat the Bunny” and the P.D. Eastman books (Are you my mother, Go Dog Go, etc.)… his books are done by the same group that publishes the Seuss early readers, so the binding, look and feel is the same. My kids also loved “If you give a mouse a cookie” and it’s ilk, but I was ho-hum on it.

On the creepy side though, I know people really like Sandra Boynton, but, don’t her books seem a little weird? Try reading “I want to be your… Personal Penguin”, it’s almost as bad as most Police songs for the stalker aspect. (I want to go with you everywhere… everywhere! I want to be with you night and day…)

117. Jess says:

“Cars and Trucks and Things That Go!” This is a great one by Richard Scarry, and there are lots of things to point out and find–where’s Goldbug!

Richard Scarry has a bunch of great books for younger children, such as “Oh, What a Busy Day” or the ones with Huckle and Sally Cat. When we were small, my folks had a bunch of Richard Scarry books that just showed everyday scenes indoors and out, but labelled everything in three different languages. I don’t know if they still publish them, but they can probably be found.

“Three Days on a River in a Red Canoe” is good too, but I don’t remember who wrote it, and it’s better for older kids, I guess.

“Dr. Seuss’s Sleep Book”–always a favorite of my mom’s!

Like someone mentioned above, the rhyming, repetitive Dr. Seuss and P.D. Eastman books are great for babies. The pictures are colorful and there are so many things to which to point on the pages.

118. Courtney says:

My favorite bedtime book is Time for Bed. It so rhythmic and soothing. I just love it and have given it as a baby gift many times.

I’m sorry, but someone gave us “I’ll Love You Forever” and one look through it and we passed it on to Goodwill. TOTALLY CREEPY. Ewwwwwwwwww. The ladder part put me over the edge, too.

I vote for anything Shel, myself, or Good Night Gorilla.

120. Andrea says:

I love reading “Is Your Mama a Llama” to my kids.

121. tori says:

More More More Said the Baby. My all time favorite book to read to my kids hands down. My oldest is 10 and I still have to read it to her every night right before bed. We also love Is Your Mama a Llama.

122. Peg says:

Chris,
    Please thank all your readers for me. The suggestions were great and a bit overwhelming. My daughter is a teacher and already has a large collection of books including several named by your readers. I can see I’ll be spending a few hours at Borders checking out the ones that are new to me. It’s going to be hard to just pick one. Thanks again!
    Peg

123. Kat @ The Burb Blog says:

I recommend anything Peter Rabbit.

Also, a collection of short stories might be nice.

Dr. Seuss is always a great go to, or the Spot books with the pull tabs and lift up panels.

124. Mary W says:

“I LOve you Stinkyface”

anything by Eric Carle - “In the Light of the monn a little egg laid on a leaf…” I have read this book and the boys have looked at this book so many times that the book is a little tattered and worn.

Shel Silverstein’s books are awesome

Dr. Suess - I can recite One fish two fish red fish blue fish. and all the others.

Goodnight Moon

Chicka Chicka Boom Boom

125. Eva says:

Anything by Sandra Boynton– I especially like “it’s pajama time” or “ten little piggies” they are adorable.

126. Elena J says:

I always though “Love You Forever” was kinda creepy too. BUT, then I saw it acted out by Carol Burnett (as the mom) and Whoopi Goldberg (being the kid)–hilarious and a tearjerker at the same time.

My kids loved “There’s a Wocket in my Pocket” by Dr. Seuss, “Are You my Mother?” and “Go, Dog, Go!” (can’t remember the authors of those two, but they’re usually grouped with Dr. Seuss books.

127. smarty says:

Just in case you didn’t get enough suggestions here’s one more. My mom gave me of of those journels so I could record my feelings and all about new motherhood and my new baby. I somehow found time to write in it from the first day until her younger brother got to keeping me too busy. Now she is almost 15 and it is a blessing when I can’t stand her (and she can’t stand me and knows I can’t stand her) for us to read it and remember all she can’t rememeber and I have forgotten about that life changing time when we fell in love.

128. smarty says:

Ps I also got Love you Forever from two different people. Creepy !

129. jenny says:

My Many Colored Days, by Dr. Seuss
    from Amazon.com
    The words and illustrations of Dr. Seuss have alway seemed inseparable–a peerless fusion of verbal and visual wit. Yet when the good doctor wrote the manuscript for My Many Colored Days in 1973, he specified that the book should be illustrated by “a great color artist who will not be dominated by me.” Twenty-three years later, he has gotten his wish. Steve Johnson and Lou Fancher have produced a series of rich, painterly images that could never be mistaken for faux-Seuss. They have, however, caught something of his simplicity, and just as important, his sense of whimsy.

130. Elena J says:

Oh, and “Mr. Brown Can Moo, Can You?” that’s another one that is so much fun to read!

131. K says:

Guess How Much I Love You! I love the sentiment behind the story. The kids don’t get into quite as early as I’d like though. I guess the pastels aren’t as great as those bright Chicka Chicka Boom Boom colors.

132. Jackie says:

Hands down Love you forever! My son is 16 and I could cry now thinking about that book. I plan on not only passing that and all of his other books down to his children but I plan on giving that book at the next baby shower I give. All the books mentioned are great books but Love you forever is something a mother should pass to her child and it would mean a lot for a child to recieve that book from their parent for their child.

133. Robyn says:

OK - I know this will get lost among all these other suggestions, but in case ANYONE is reading…
    IZA TRAPANI - I can’t believe no one else mentioned this author. She’s my favorite for toddlers. She takes traditional nursery rhymes and writes extra verses to be sung along to the same tune. We have: Mary Had a Little Lamb, I’m a Little Teapot, Itsy Bitsy Spider and a few more.

PLUS - no child’s library is complete without books by Audrey Wood - The Napping House, Silly Sally, King Bidgood, etc.

134. Erin says:

One of our favorites is, “How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight?” by Jane Yolen & Mark Teague

135. Melina says:

“On the Day You Were Born”. I don’t even have kids, but I used to read this one to my little brother and even at 13 it made me choke up. Beautiful story and paintings; I think it would be perfect for a new mom.

136. Suzanne says:

I loved to read this book “Oh Baby the Places you’ll Go!: a book to be read in utero” for when pregnant. http://tinyurl.com/3xah3m Read it to all my children so far and then I read the “real” version once they get on the outside. The real version being “Oh the Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Seuss

137. Carrissa says:

Love You Forever was given to me by my mom when I had my first daughter 17 years ago. She begged me to read it almost every night and I don’t think there was a night I got through it without crying. I since lost that copy, but got new ones for my new babies who are now 3 1/2 and 15 months. It’s a great tale about loving and a parent’s love for their children. It’s not meant to be creepy! GREAT BOOK!

138. Tracie says:

Anything by Sandra Boynton. My kids both love “Moo, Baa, La, La, La” and the “Belly Button Book.” She has a couple of CDs out that correspond with some of the books. We love the CD entitled, “Philadelphia Chickens.”

139. Amy says:

I hated Love You Forever and also passed it on to Goodwill. My son didn’t like it either. I just don’t get why people like this book.

I love Runaway Bunny. The Kissing Hand is a sweet book too.

As if she doesn’t have enough suggestions, but here goes:
    The Very Hungry Caterpillar
    Chicka Chicka Boom Boom
    Pat the Bunny
    all the “Priddy Books”
    I cannot STAND Love You Forever! I read it once and was sobbing. Also the creepy factor.

141. Kristin says:

I just wanted to say thank you … I am expecting our first (a boy!) in June and I just write down a long list of books I need to shop for! I was actually just headed to Barnes and Noble today to browse the children’s section, but now I have some titles to look for.

142. stacie says:

You have had many suggestions, but I didn’t see my favorite:

_All the Places to Love_ by Patricia MacLachlan/Mike Wimmer

“On the day I was born, my grandmother wrapped me in a blanket made from the wool of her sheep.”

Strong sense of family affection and tradition, but maybe a bit less trite than LY4evah and the like. Gorgeous paintings too.

Pick that one.

143. Planemom says:

Guess How Much I Love You; Goodnight Moon; Brown Bear, Brown Bear What do You See?; Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. My kids went through multiple copies of these books.

144. kelly says:

Books schmooks…where’s the carrot cake recipe? I love that stuff, I requested it for my birthday last year. I’m not about to cook on my own b-day!

Since then, I bought a slice at the Super Target deli that was AMAZING.

Then I looked at the label and noticed it had about 60 grams of fat in it (and I am not exaggerating), which of course, did not stop me from eating all of it. I figure one piece is better than a whole cake.

Happy Birthday, Boy (is it?) #2!!!

Are your birthdays all clumped up or spread out throughout the year?

So far I remember Miles’ in December, seems like your 8 yr. old just had one, and now your 12 yr. old.

Just curious cuz that’s how my crazy brain works.

145. Anne says:

We enjoy “I love you stinkyface” around here. It is silly but sweet.

146. Meredith says:

“Pat the Bunny” is always included in my baby shower gift to a new mom. It’s a classic, and kids love it because of the great interaction; you can touch the bunny’s soft fur, play peek-a-boo with the young narrator, or slip your fingers through the hole of his mother’s ring. It’s a great choice.

147. Rechelle says:

Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems. Funniest children’s book ever.

148. Chris says:

A book of poetry, there are several out there. The book will be treasured by both Mom and baby.

149. Celine says:

Absolutely anything by Sandra Boynton. The woman is a genius!

150. Elizabeth says:

I don’t think I’ve seen “Can’t You Sleep, Little Bear?”…listed in the comments above. It was a classic in our family.

Elizabeth

151. Dee from Tennessee says:

Okay…got room for one more suggestion? “Owl Babies” by Martin Waddell…check the customers’ reviews at Amazon. It comes in a board book too. This has become my “new” book to give a new mommy. “Everyone” was giving “Pat the Bunny” and “Love you Forever.”

(If you don’t like “Love you Forever,” please check out Robert Munsch’s other books for beginning readers…they LOVE him and he is a GREAT reader…not all authors read their own books effectively. Just listen to him read one of his other “funny” books…I promise you, beginning readers seek him out at the library. And how cool is that …a tiny tot will come in and ask “Where are your Robert Munsch books?” gotta love it!

Back to Martin Waddell….Love love Martin Waddell….his Christmas book “Room for a Little One”….oh my. Oh my.(I gave it to some adults as part of their Christmas.:)) And “Snow Bears” is wonderful….
    I’ll hush..

152. Tiffany says:

Llama Llama Red Pajamas by Anna Dewdney. Every mother that I’ve read this one too can relate. If you haven’t read it, do so soon. It’s fairly recent (two, three years ago ??).

I have lots of favorites as a children’s librarian, but Love You Forever is for the momma not really the child. I’ve NEVER had a kid say it was their favorite book, but tons of adults do. So, a mom-to-be might LOVE it, too.

I just suggest lots and lots of board books for the baby. Also, borrow lots of books from the library to decide what your favorites are before purchasing.

153. Michelle says:

What Makes a Rainbow…it’s a magic ribbon book and my kids have ALWAYS loved it. it would be perfect…

154. Melina says:

Agh! I meant “All the Places to Love”, not “On the Day You Were Born.” “All the Places” is FABULOUS. You can get it on Amazon…

155. Tracy D says:

Love You Forever or Goodnight Moon are our faves.

156. sarah says:

Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs by Byron Barton
    My son LOVED all of the Byron Barton board books we had. Great pictures.

Like others, he also loved chika chika boom boom, where the wild things are and brown bear, brown bear.

157. Shawn says:

I like to give classic Mother Goose as a gift…they are still available in hardback and my girls loved the rhymes.

158. Jen says:

On the Day You Were Born by Debra Frasier. This was given to me when my younger son (now 7)was a baby, and it still brings me to tears to this day. It is a beautiful book, both the illustrations and the story.

159. Melanie says:

“You are my I love you” is a really sweet book - we give it as a gift for all of our expecting friends.

160. Kimberly says:

My two, OK three, absolute FAVORITE are:

1) “Love You Forever” by Robert Mucsch,
    2) “I Love You, Stinky Face” by Lisa McCourt and
    3) “I Love You Through and Through” by Bernadette Rossitti-Shustak
    (I usually read this to my daughter when we are having a
    particularly rough day and somehow it makes everything
    all better).

My daughter loves “Monkey Lost” by Ed Heck.

161. Christina says:

1. Each Peach Pear Plum
    2. Love You Forever
    3. Goodnight Moon
    4. All the places to love

If she has Montessori inclinations don’t bother with 1 or 3. Montessorians generally don’t like books that have personified animals.

162. cristen says:

Add me to the ranks of those NOT liking Love You Forever (yuck! anything only available in stapled spine is weird), and Guess How Much I Love You, and On the Day You Were Born. I am hard-hearted, apparently. But I did work in a children’s bookstore for years. I do like Llama Llama Red Pajama mentioned above, and the Boynton books (great boxed set my kids have all loved), and the Janet Ahlberg and Allan Ahlberg books and Dan and Audra Woods books. My favorite baby book is Everywhere Babies, which I have in large hardback form from when it first came out, but I think now it’s only in board book, which is still great, although makes the detailed illustrations a bit small…