Geeks Gone Wild

Geeks Gone Wild

March 18, 2008

We take our American Idol viewing very seriously over here at our house.

DSC_0060

Here we are tallying our votes to determine who we are going to vote for. If you think that this would be an easy process you would be mistaken.

DSC_0066

The younger ones insist on giving everyone a “one” except for the person they want to win.

I was laughing so hard that I was crying and clutching my stomach.

Rob has decided that for next week he is going to make us some individual spreadsheets. Yes, really.

Comments

1. Jolyn says:

We couldn’t even get our AI fix this evening. It’s raining so hard our satellite dish went on the brink. Now we’ll have to wait until tomorrow to watch it online. Waaah.

2. Catherine says:

I assume those spreadsheets will be on google so you can all fire up your laptops and fill them in while watching?

Ooh … an web accessible Access database, so all the tallying is programagical!

3. Janssen says:

Posts like this make me wish you could adopt me into your family. :)

4. Tracy D says:

I have never watched it. But it sure looks like you guys are having fun!

5. Not the Mama says:

Too freaking cute. If I could watch with your family, I’d probably actually enjoy American Idol.

6. Liesl says:

How great! They are so serious . . . you would think they are deciding on world peace . . . there are people who take Presidential elections less seriously!!

7. Jessica @ A Bushel and a Peck says:

My daughter, who is 3.5, LOVES this show. So much that she asks me EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. whether it will be on that night. Many times a day. Thankfully she has not yet figured out that she could have an effect on the outcome by voting!

8. Jamie AZ says:

Individual spreadsheets - I love it! :)

9. Heather's Garden says:

I think you have a post in telling us who everyone’s favorite contestant is. My husband was telling me tonight that the 8-year-olds in the elementary school where he subs are all Chikezie supporters. We had some fun trying to figure out why that would be. Is there only one vote placed from your household? If so I think you could give the UN lessons on negotiation.

10. amanda says:

We have ‘Idol night’ at my mothers house on results night. My husband and I go over there. I’m digging the spreadsheet idea!

11. lindsay says:

Oooooh, I hope the D. Archuletta fans won out as I heart him!

12. Rocks In My Dryer says:

So who did you vote for?

I’m actually a triple voter. One from the home phone, one each from mine and Hubs’ cell phones. I know. That is so pathetic.

13. Rae says:

Oh my Lord- you guys are the cutest things evah!

14. Brittany says:

will you please adopt me into your family?

15. Mom on the Run says:

I am glad to hear that we are not the only ones who vote. Our nightly process is that we let our middle daughter decide who to cast her vote for. The other two children are not interested in voting. We all participate by choosing our top 4 winners from among the top 12. We post the list of everyone’s choices on the fridge. We started when my youngest was one. He crawled up to the TV and tapped the screen to indicate his favorite 4. He is now 4 and decided to add the “bald guy” AKA Chikezie and the “guy who looks like a girl” AKA Jason to his top 4.

16. Brigitte says:

And I thought MY Rob was anal - spreadsheets! Yours is very enamored of those spreadsheets. :-)

17. Ari says:

Your husband and his spreadsheets are too funny!

18. JayMonster says:

I watched this show… once I think, back in season one. Since then I have it easy, I just log in to VoteForTheWorst.com and vote for whomever they say. Actually watch it again? I don’t think so.

I’m not criticizing you for watching it mind you… obviously it has some appeal to a demographic I just don’t fit in.

Chris says: I am confused why you bother voting at all! The kids like the show here. There are very few shows on tv at night anymore that are appropriate for all ages.

19. tori says:

I am reading the comments and am confused (I have not had my coffee this morning yet, so I may be misunderstanding what people are saying) BUT can you only vote once? We have 6 people in our house and place 6 calls each week so everyone can vote for whoever they want to win. Is there a reason you can’t/shouldn’t do that?

Chris says: We have just always agreed on who to vote for. It is fun for us. I love hearing why the kids like a certain person best and the negotiating to try and convince each other who should get the vote. It’s my favorite part.

20. Mandy says:

You’re husband is AWESOME! Will you adopt me? I am a spreadsheet, listing making, task chart fool. Handipoints? Oh, yeah - LOVE IT! My kids tease me that we can’t do anything without writing it down first! I love this post! (I once sat and wrote down all the names of the girls on Deal or No Deal as Howie said them just in case I ever get to go on the show, I will be respectful and know all their names. Yes, really)

21. jody says:

LOL!

Oh, I love my favorites face in the second pic. Is he feeling better?

22. deanna says:

Love it! My fiance and my youngest son were coloring a picture together…they were drawing a shopping mall and were discussing the food court. They settled on a name for the place and then were working on the menu and my lovely geek put apple pie on the menu and showed my son how to create it by drawing an apple and the symbol for pi. I fell in love all over again :)

23. tori says:

OK, good because from some of the comments I was thinking maybe only one vote counted from each phone number or something and then I got worried because I would need to remember to do MY vote first in that case (but of course I’m kidding and would never do that). I agree, hearing who and WHY they want a certain person is interesting, but if we let them all agree, we would be up well past their 8:00 bedtime discussing! Either way, it is still a very fun family night.

24. Jeanne says:

Would those be MS excel spreadsheets? A man after my own heart. I like to try to make THAT PROGRAM sing and dance for me!

Your boys are too funny. Very serious business, that Idol voting.

25. Lori says:

We vote for Kristy to go home, she is even from our state.
    I agree it is one of the FEW shows that is good for the whole family. That and Dancing with the stars, my boys love to watch that, I think it is for the girls!

26. julie@lovelaughter&laundry says:

That tittle cracked me up. Thanks for confessing so I don’t think our family is the only geeky one out there.

I love Jason Castro. Tween daughter David Archuletta, and the boys in my family like the Rocker chic. We are a divided family.

27. Marci says:

I have tried to tell my daughters that voting for everybody is the same as voting for nobody!! :)

They are getting better though. I end up doing the voting because they have to go to bed. One word: REDIAL! I have been known to hit it A LOT.

If I made them pick one singer to vote for I don’t think they would be able to. Maybe I will try that next week and see what happens.

28. melissa6 says:

me and my 6 kids love american idol especially the auditions which we laugh hysterically over!!!!!!

29. rachel says:

I get so upset for the people who are voted off that I can’t watch. Am I a total sap?

We make spreadsheets for a gazillion other things, though. ;)

Rob and his spreadsheets! That is just so funny.
    I have vowed not to watch American Idol this year because I get so into it. However I do like David Archuletta. He is awesome.

31. Ruth H says:

I think you have a good system. I’ve only watched when at my son’s house last year while his wife was having chemo. It was an island of fun in some bad days. They love it. I think its a good family occasion.

32. Another Susan says:

You should hear my 3 year old imitate Ryan Seacrest by saying “This … is American Idol” Funniest. Thing. Ever!

We are fans of the show too … go Carly and David A!

33. GrimRealityGirl says:

We had our own idol competition this summer. The kids and I had a blast — they dressed as various different contestants and we all judged…. the cross dressing got interesting and we learned that my daughter can’t remember the words to any song to save her life… Good times! Glad we are not alone in our obsession!

34. Nat says:

your kids are a good-looking bunch. :)

35. Meg from Georgia says:

I only watched AI one season, when Bo Bice was on…my step sister’s best friend dated him in college so I “some-what” knew him…the voting system you have does sound like fun though…

36. Suzanne says:

Holy crap… I think your husband and my husband were separated at birth…

37. Caroline says:

Is your husband in finance, by any chance?