Playing Catch Up

Playing Catch Up

March 25, 2008

Today is Yesterday was a typical Monday, filled to the brim with annoyances compounded by children who are were on a serious sugar rollercoaster.

“Oh, you are cranky. Go eat a jellybean. And bring Mommy one too while you are at it.”

The good news is that by tomorrow today there will be is no more candy left. Except for my one child who doesn’t like candy and saves it for “later.” Later being when I toss it all in the trash.

(I wrote all of this last night right before I crashed and burned with a migraine that had me clutching my head and willing myself not to vomit, hence the editing.)

We have a handy man working on our house, which is a good thing. In theory. He is getting work done. But he is getting it done so slowly that it isn’t quite visible. Case in point yesterday he logged in 8.5 hours. Spent about an hour putting in the insulation, um okay. And the next 7.5 hours hanging two sheets of sheetrock. For those of you not familiar with home improvement type things, that is really FREAKING slow.

The funny thing is that he gave me a list of supplies that Rob would need to buy before he came back. On the list was two more sheets of sheetrock. We already have about 10 of them waiting there outside the bathroom. I am not sure what the rush is all about because at the pace he is working we have enough sheetrock to keep him busy for at least a month.

I am still not used to the time change. Every night at 6:30 I am suddenly shocked by the time and scrambling to make dinner.

Yesterday Susan called and I was forced to reveal to her that I was feeding my children chicken nuggets and frozen vegetables, and serving it on paper plates. And then during the course of our conversation I realized that I had not put out any silverware. But that didn’t stop my children. One child was holding his plate up in the air pushing the peas and carrots and green beans off the plate and into his mouth with a chicken nugget. I wasn’t sure if I should be proud at his resourcefulness or horrified that he would not think to get up and get a proper utensil.

At least I know that they are well suited to dorm life. Or prison.

DSC_0002

It’s his ninth birthday so he whipped himself up some Monkey bread. Recipe over at Work It, Mom!

Over at Parenting I wrote about girls and boys and the differences between them.

My children would be different. They would break free of these gender stereotypes. My boys would play with their Waldorf-approved gender neutral dolls and my girls would do boy things. Granted, I was not really sure what those boy things would be since I was an only child and didn’t grow up around boys. I assumed it had something to do with playing with cars, burping contests, and making fart noises in your armpit.

And guess what? It is 5:30pm and I have not resolved the question of what is for dinner.

Comments

1. Alissa says:

6:20pm… haven’t thought about dinner… i think i win.

2. suburbancorrespondent says:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who is still messed up by that time change…

3. Jenny, Bloggess says:

Were the frozen vegetables still frozen when you served them? If not I totally beat you for slacker mom of the night.

4. Lovebabz says:

I am impressed that you cooked! Nutritious cereal and soymilk…hhmmm good! You are good in the clutch!

You tickled me with the plate and no utensils!

5. Angela says:

When my daughter was 3 or 4 I took her Barbie cars and told her we were going to race them down the hall. So I set them side by side and say “ok..ready…go” -
    “But mom…it needs the mom” she puts a Barbie in it.
    Ok..lets go..lets see who goes FASTER
    “but mom…she needs a friend” in goes another Barbie”
    Ok kiddo…can we race now?
    “but mom…they need to talk about where they are going”
    I gave up!

When I’ve played these games w/ my nephews they don’t care about the interactions of the dolls INSIDE the car but just to beat me racing down the hall!

So yeah..I tried too but her girliness beat my inner tomboy every time.

Hope you are feeling better…I “thought” I had migraines (one stupid doctor that said that is what I had after I told him I had a bad headache) until I saw my husband have one…nope…I just have “bad” headaches.

6. Heather's Garden says:

Chris, I’m so sorry that you get migraines. There’s nothing worse than a headache that stops you in your tracks. Except people who say, oh it’s just a headache, you should still be able to function. My migraines tend to be hormonal because it’s not enough to be PMSing, I need to be unable to see or move too! Glad you’re feeling better.

7. Kirsetin says:

Let me get this straight: your child is devouring “peas and carrots and green beans”? You win all mom contests with that phrase alone! Who cares about utensils? Let him use a nugget - manners won’t come until college (if then?), anyway.

8. Natalie says:

Maybe you should pay that guy by the job instead of by the hour.

My dad is a contractor and a carpenter. He’s done floors, cabinets and has built homes since he was a young boy working with his father. He tends to pay by the job (except his full-time crew - they get a regular salary) because of the very thing you’re describing.

Migraines are awful. I hope you’re feeling better today.

9. Julie Stiles Mills says:

Weird. On a recent recipe post, I wrote:

“This is one of my “aak! It’s 5:30! What am I going to make for dinner!?!” recipes.”

If you’re interested, you can get it here: http://pragmaticcompendium.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/spaghetti-florentine/

10. Cindy says:

I can totally understand the funky feeling with the time change! Last night I looked at the clock and realized that my youngest had just missed ballet class! It had been over for about 15 minutes at that point. doh!

Your handyman? Geez, that is FREAKING SLOW! Wow. Sorry.

11. Brigitte says:

When I was a kid, I would have been thrilled to get chicken nuggets on a paper plate, it would have been like a special picnic supper! So I don’t think the children will hold it against you.

I have only twice had headaches bad enough that I think they were migraines (could hardly see, threw up), I feel so bad that it’s a regular occurrence for you! Hope you have some gooood medication . .

12. annie says:

Really, no harm in chicken nuggets and frozen veggies. Even if the veggies are still frozen. At least my daughter never seemed to mind… Hope your headache is better!

13. Maria says:

My kids haven’t adjusted to the time change - every day we pick them up from extended day between 5:30 and 6 - and they are insisting that we are picking them up earlier b/c it’s still light out. Cool - I score good mom points w/no effort for once!

14. Mark says:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the frozen veggies. My first daughter is addicted to frozen peas and corn. She scoffs them down, still frozen.

If there’s a line between feeding your kids and lazy parenting, I think I may have crossed it :(

15. Jules says:

The same thing happens with me at dinner time. The light outside throws me off completely.

16. Jeanette says:

Actually frozen vegetables are more nutritious because they are frozen very soon after they are harvested, where as fresh produce has been exposed to days of heat, light, and all around exposure, thus diminishing their nutritional quality.
    So don’t feel too guilty.

All hail the frozen vegetable! :)

17. The Simple Family says:

Maybe I missed this…but do your kids make their own cakes? Because, seriously, THAT IS GENIUS.

18. Mary W says:

How is it the same kid , in my house anyway

19. Belinda says:

“What’s for dinner?” is the BANE OF MY EXISTENCE. Yeah, I know. Me, with my one kid. Wah, wah, wah. But it is.

20. WOW! Women's World says:

Oh, I can relate. Granted, adjusting to Mondays is never easy. Compound that with the time change, however, and my entire rhythmn is off…Julie for WOW!

21. Linda says:

Wait… chicken nuggets on paper plates is bad? I’m in big trouble.

22. salsaqueen says:

I think if I live long enough, someday I will see your 9 year old on his own Food Network show. His monkey bread cake sounds wonderful. I do that at Christmas, but with copious amounts of butter and garlic. The plate is always empty. Even the tiny bits of garlic that fall off are slurped up.

And of course it’s always us moms who put the most pressure upon ourselves. I’m sure the kids were perfectly happy to eat with their hands!

Oh and that cake sure looks yummy!

24. Memarie Lane says:

I’m all for the gender neutral balancing thing, but my husband freaks out every time my son puts one of his sister’s bows on his head or something.

The dinner time thing is all off for me too, esp. since I’m pregnant. I made my dinner about an hour ago, and now I have to go make dinner for the rest of the family. Just seems like the wrong time to eat to my body.

25. Christina W. says:

I would fire that handyman. That is ridiculous. We had a siding man one time who worked at that speed. We had paid him by the job, but he was still so slow I was almost ready to side it myself. He did finally finish, but I wouldn’t do it again.
    I love your blog. We have 7 kiddos too. So true about the what’s for dinner stuff.

26. Steph says:

I lOVE the monkey bread receipe! It is a fav in our house!

27. Melina says:

I went to a waldorf school and let me tell you, regardless of the gender neutality of the dolls the boys in my class still beat me over the head with it :)

28. jenB says:

I love Monkey Bread, I won’t lie to you and tell you that a lot of the reason I love it is because I get to call it MONKEY bread.

xoxoxo

29. Cara says:

Yum, I made this that day, and THANK YOU. It was beautiful and yummy.

30. Anita says:

Hey! Congratulations on finding a DWSHKON-certified handyman! (That’s right.. all of OUR handymen work on a geological time scale.) The advantage is once they’re done you’re always happy (to see them go).

Hugs to you and your totally gorgeous family.