Al Gore Looks Scornfully Over at Me

Al Gore Looks Scornfully Over at Me

March 30, 2008

Yesterday I had to call AAA to come and jump start our van, proving that our membership is good for something other than getting slightly discounted hotel room rates. Someone had turned the lights on inside the van and the battery went dead.

I called and the guy who came out and jump started it said to let it run for at least half an hour to recharge. That seemed so wasteful, especially with the prices of gas these days. But I had nowhere to go. So I said I would and happily went inside where it was not bone chillingly cold. (Spring, hello? Where are you?)

Three hours later I suddenly remembered the van.

Yes, it was still running. In the end it probably would have cost less to go buy a new battery.

Comments

1. Ladybug Crossing says:

At least it got a good long charge…

2. suburbancorrespondent says:

Hey! Same exact thing happened to me yesterday (interior light left on, battery dead) and a neighbor jump started it for me and said that thing about letting it run for an hour. So I called our mechanic and he said it wasn’t true, 10-15 minutes max is all that is needed.

That same neighbor, a few weeks ago, did the same thing you did - left his car running to charge the battery and forgot about it for 3 or 4 hours. I was worried I’d be equally forgetful….

I hope you at least turned out your lights at 8 last night to make up for it?

3. Jules says:

Yikes! I can’t imagine how you could have gotten distracted and forgotten about it ;)

4. Robin says:

haha that sounds like something Id do and Im sure I have done.

5. jen says:

Well, at least your battery should have been well-charged by then!

6. Dreamsterling says:

Please don’t lose sleep over it… Al’s probably plotting what business venture he is going to do next,so that HE can pay his electric bill on his umpteen thousand square foot house that 3 people live in.

On another note - been a lurker forever - love your photos - love the blog! You are a great writer - your “voice” is colorful and an easy read. Thanks for the great laughs.

So cold here - cats won’t go out… they just sit in the door jam, peering out with their noses, and then look at me like “are you kidding? I am NOT going out there.” Spoiled - the lot of them.

Keep warm-P

Hey, but then the old battery would have been in some landfill polluting the ground. I am not sure you can win. :)

8. Mel says:

I would have done the same thing! Actually last summer I had to jump start the tractor so I plugged it in to my truck and went to hang out with my family. A few hours later I remember what I had done, but the truck had completely ran out of gas!! Live and learn I guess…although I wouldn’t be surprised if I did it again!

9. janna says:

This reminds me of the time my sister plugged the bathtub, turned the water on, then forgot about it for who knows how long. My parents and I got home to find water running through the garage and down the driveway from the upstairs bathroom… it was disastrous!

10. lizinsumner says:

Well, you just made me feel better about MY sometimes-faulty memory!! Obviously, you don’t live in a part of the country (like I do) where leaving a car running (and unoccupied) is like putting out a neon sign that says “HEY!! COME AND STEAL ME!!!”, especially for 3 hours! Oh, and as for Al Gore?? I read recently that his house in Virginia (or wherever the heck he lives) is extremely large and uses HUGE amounts of energy - the article was comparing his monthly energy uses to GWB’s usages on his ranch in Texas….GW’s ranch won! So, I wouldn’t worry too much about what Al might think. Thanks for the Sunday morning laugh!

11. Woman with Kids says:

Um, oops? You were, uh, trying to warm up your whole, entire neighborhood. Aren’t you nice?

12. Sandy says:

I sure wish someone could figure out where spring is…

13. Mrs. F says:

In my hood we woulda stayed outside and froze with the car. Never know who is going to walk by and decide they need a ride today. LOLs. Funny story!!!!

14. Liz says:

that’s pretty funny!

15. Victoria says:

D’oh

16. Anna says:

Does it suck considering gas prices are so high? Yes. Does that make it any less funny? I think not! ;-)

17. Sleeping Mommy says:

Oy vey! I know what you mean. It takes us $70 minimum to fill the gas tank on the mini-van these days. We can’t just sit and let it run while one of us runs in to pay bills or whatever and the other sits with the kids. That’s hard to take when it is so cold outside too.

18. LammyAnn says:

Oh Man.
    I feel so much much much better.
    You’re normal.
    And forgetful.
    Thanks for the giggle.

19. amber says:

sounds like something i would do!

20. Nextcommercial says:

LOL.

One year, my Mom left her car running with the keys locked inside, and the air conditioner on for an hour and a half in the parking lot of Costco. (over 100 degree temps in Phx)

It was nice and cool when she was finally able to break in.

21. Bronnie says:

Oh geez… that sucks! Yes petrol is way too expensive to be leaving your car running! hehe

22. EZibbets says:

Thanks for proving you’re human, Chris! You never cease to amaze with your gorgeous kids, home, projects, self. I’m glad you forget stuff sometimes….glad the van was still there too!

23. Growing in Grace (Nicole) says:

My brother once left his truck running for four hours. Apparently he was on his cell phone and forgot to turn his truck off went he got to work. He’s lucky no one stole it.

24. jenB says:

Buy a compact florescent bulb, you will feel better. Al will know it, he will sense it.

25. michele says:

I guess it was WELL charged!! I have done things like that, better the van than running bath water! :)

26. Dani says:

I do something similar with the gas grill at least 2 or 3 times each summer. I leave it on to burn off some of the mess so it’s cleaner for the next use and forget that I’ve done so. That is, of course, until I walk out the next night with a plate of pork chops to be grilled only to find the knob is still in the ON position and I’m out of fuel. At least it’s clean, though! ;)

And your battery is VERY well charged! :)

27. Kathleen says:

It’s so hard to keep track of EVERYTHING…one human mom can’t be expected to….:)….I can not tell you the number of times I’ve forgotten something like leaving the grill on after bringing in the meat?? It’s impossible.

28. brit says:

I seriously have to set a timer for myself these days or I just wander off..at least if i set the time..I think…huh…wonder why I did that. Sometimes I remember..

29. Tia says:

Oh my goodness! Don’t spend anymore time feeling badly about it. At least you didn’t get ticketed. Here in my town in Colorado, if a cop drives by a car that is idling and nobody is in it they give you a ticket.

30. Sue says:

Yes… I would have done this too. Except in my neighbor, the car would have been stolen long before 3 hours had passed :-)

31. Sue says:

neighborHOOD I mean!

32. Kathy from NJ says:

I was going to suggest a timer, but Brit beat me to it. I use a timer that won’t go off until it’s turned off and usually put a post-it note near the timer so I remember why it was set.

33. Steph says:

Wow! I assume it started after that recharge!