Things I Have Learned

Things I Have Learned

April 1, 2008

I am totally stealing Mir’s post idea from today and sharing my own list of things I have learned today with you.

1) Clothing does not hold up well to the suitcase scrutiny. When packing suddenly all my clothes look stupid. Including things that were previously my favorite stand-by items. All my jeans are faded and baggy in the wrong places. My sweaters are all pilled. And my shoes are all scuffed. No, I don’t exaggerate.

2) I will discover that I wear black almost exclusively. Except for those wild and crazy times when I pull out the gray.

3) Packing more pair of shoes than days I will be away is perfectly acceptable. In fact it is preferable. My motto is: If it fits in the suitcase, it can come. Except for Miles. He got in the suitcase and closed it and said to me, “Now you have to bring me!” Awwwww.

Yeah, I don’t think so. Now get the hell out of my suitcase.

4) Even though I attempted to get ahead on all my work obligations I find myself behind, or more accurately right where I should be if I were not going away for 5 days. This proves that one can not add extra hours to the day just by wishful thinking.

5) The bangs I cut myself last week and then had fixed at the hairdresser earlier in the week appear to have shrunk in the wash. I am channeling my 1982 self. Maybe I should take a curling iron to my hair and just fully embrace it.

Susan said I should I embrace the hip factor of my too short bangs. Unfortunately, when paired with Mom clothes, it is anything but hip. Instead it screams, “I CUT MY OWN HAIR WITH NAIL SCISSORS!”

Which I did.

6) I should not have left my manicure for today. It isn’t going to happen. I would attempt to do them myself except sadly I think I am more adept in the hair cutting department.

7) Jen and I have a date here this weekend. I am contemplating bringing a cupcake suitcase with me. This one isn’t so much me learning something as just sharing it with you.

And now I must run and finish making dinner and photographing it for Thursday’s Work It, Mom! post. (I have one up today, a new recipe for Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread that has no refined sugar, dairy, or eggs.)

Comments

1. suburbancorrespondent says:

Whew - I thought I was the only one whose clothes look lousy when I try to pack them…

2. NoMasNinos says:

That’s funny. I think my clothes look awesome packed. It when I put them on that they look lousy.

3. Hatchet says:

I have to admit, I said “Awww!” about the Miles-in-the-suitcase and then laughed out loud when you gave him the boot.

A cupcake suitcase sounds fabulous. Have a great trip!

4. t in h says:

“Jen and I have a date here this weekend.”

A date where? When I click on the “here” hyperlink, it just takes me right back to this same page.

5. Pamela says:

The link isn’t working. Where are you fabulous girls going?

6. Debbie says:

I’m getting ready to take a short weekend trip and am DREADING packing — for the same reasons! Funny about the nail scissors. My sister, the cosmetologist, always calls me out when I have cut my hair with them!

7. Gwen says:

I had the same sensation while folding laundry. Who bought all those clothes? And why do I have nothing to wear?

8. Lottifish says:

Awww…the cupcake link doesn’t work for me :( And I’m a cupcake whore!

9. Jaime says:

Did I miss something? Where are you going? I will miss you! :)

10. Thursday Tip: Business Trip Guilt - The 36-Hour Day - Work It, Mom! says:

[...] with all of the hustle and bustle and preparation for BlogHer Business, I thought I’d ease my own disappointment about not being able to go (and [...]

11. Kelsey says:

Number three is too cute!

12. Dana says:

You make me feel like a daredevil! Because I wear black, gray, and BROWN. Hold me back!

13. I Should Be Folding Laundry says:

“Now get the hell out of my suitcase.”
    I love it.

14. Jennifer (Et Tu?) says:

So I was standing in my closet yesterday evening, noticing two things simultaneously: 1) that I have nothing to wear, and 2) my closet is jam-packed, overflowing with clothes.

And then I see your point #2 here.

When, o when, will I learn to stop buying colored clothes? I think that clothing stores must put some chemical in the air that makes you see clothes differently when you’re there. That is the only explanation for how I keep buying all sorts of colored prints that look so cute at the time I purchase them, but when they’re actually in my closet I see them for what they are: something I would never, ever wear.

This is slightly off topic, but did you ever see this post? It’s by a woman who also has seven kids, so I thought you might like it. :)

OK, sorry to derail your combox with clothes talk…

15. Syndicate » Things I learned… says:

[...] (I am stealing this concept from another blog I read called Notes from the Trenches) [...]

16. Leaf, probably... says:

You cut your own hair with nail sissors? Cool! I cut my own hair the other day too. I am exceptionally proud of it - even though I knwo the next hairdresser I see is going to be all “Your ends are all uneven! … who cut your hair last? … You did what?!”