Tuesday

Tuesday

April 9, 2008

Can I just say that being away for a few days has kicked my butt? I can not seem to get back on top of things. It is weird. And I say it every single time I go away, so it shouldn’t take me by surprise and yet it does. When did my children become so loud?

My daughter presented me with a photo when I got home.

CSC_0004

It is her (on the left) crying because she missed me. Oh twist that knife in my heart why don’t you.

The other person crying, the one without a body and a stick in his mouth, is Miles. But according to my daughter he isn’t crying because he missed me, just because he is a “bad boy.” Just in case I was tempted to throw any sympathy his way, she wanted to nip that in the bud.

Yup, still with the tears in this one too

This one has MOM written on the bottom. Don’t want any confusion about who was the cause of her great heartbreak.

*****

DSC_0051

Mmmmmm, Pasta with Tomato Vodka Sauce. Big hit at my house. Recipe posted over at Work It, Mom!

*****

Then at Parenting, what is the appropriate age for leaving your child home alone? What about letting him/her ride the subway alone?

Comments

1. whoorl says:

May I just say how much I love your column at Work It, Mom?

(Seriously, WHY DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO FIND IT?)

2. Mrs. F says:

Awww, how sweet. I love kid art. It is so straight from the heart.

3. Fairly Odd Mother says:

I call what you describe “re-entry”. When you go out for an evening, the re-entry isn’t too bad although it can still be a bit jarring. But, a weekend? Yeah, it’s like landing on a strangely familiar planet filled with creatures you don’t quite understand.

Oh, but it is worth it, isn’t it?

Love the drawings. I especially love that little black heart.

4. suburbancorrespondent says:

Vodka? For the kids? Does it make them sleep better?

5. jody says:

Adorable. Can I just squeeze her?!

heading over for the pasta recipe…..if I go heavy on the vodka will it officially be a party at our house?

6. Karly says:

I always expect to return home to my kids feeling refreshed and happy to see them (which I am), but about an hour after being home I’m thinking WHEN’S THE NEXT VACATION? I love my kids, but sometimes? I wouldn’t mind spending a little less time with them.

7. SoMo says:

Is it a hit, because it some how makes all the kids a little sleepy.

8. mom8k says:

I call it the Cinderella Syndrome: the magical ball is over,
    back to sweeping ashes! The first time my husband and I managed a weekend getaway when the kids were little, I thought the wonderful time we had would carry me through months of diapers and drudgery–three days later I was crying in the dishwater. And then things settled back to “normal”!

9. JayMonster says:

I agree that those homemade cards can get you in a way no Hallmark can. But, I will also say, enjoy it while it lasts, because that day is gonna come when they are waiting for when you are leaving again, and it will come sooner than you will ever imagine (or at least feel like it has).

10. Brittany says:

I left a comment over at Work It, Mom but I can’t wait to try that pasta. It sounds so good that I’m even tempted to go out and buy more vodka so I can make it (I know! How dare I not have any- but I drank it all last night). I’ll let you know how it goes. I think I’ll make it for a family dinner.

11. Ramblin' Red says:

Manipulation via art…will have to remember that one…

Love how the sibling rivalry is present even in that, too.

12. Mary says:

They’ve really got that guilt thing down pat, don’t they!

13. Mary Jo says:

Very cute. Sounds like she’s studying for her guilt-trip-mommy certification. I think they get extra credit for adding tears into the mix.

14. Rocks In My Dryer says:

If it makes you feel any better, I’ve been home from Africa for six weeks and today–TODAY–I finally got caught up on laundry.

15. Debbie says:

I have a child care and kids really do a number on their parents when they leave to go to work. Crying and pleading don’t leave me. I had a camera install in the entry way so they could watch how quick their children started playing after they had left. The parents quit feeling guilty after a week. I love the hearts and “Mom” picture your daughter made for you!

16. amy says:

I always laugh and say I need a vacation from my vacation when I get home to the kids…LOL!

17. June says:

When is a child ready to ride a subway alone, when the child and parent feel right about it. Should society decide when our child is mature enough.

18. Steph says:

Yummy! I love getting love notes from the kids when I have been away!