Learning to Ride

Learning to Ride

May 5, 2008

Learning to ride

She has decided that she rather likes having a person push her around on her bike rather than using the training wheels. So much less effort involved on her part.

Comments

1. Kelsey says:

That is too cute! Hope she learns soon!

2. Owlhaven says:

Doubly good when it is daddy doing the pushing, or so several of my daughters have decided. The most notable one being the daughter who didn’t learn to ride til age 8. One scant week ahead of her 6 year old sister. My husband’s poor back.

Sweet picture.

Mary, mom to many

3. Anna says:

Great picture! I was just googling kid’s bikes…I keep waffling back and forth between 12in and 16in tires…why on earth don’t they make a 14in tire?? It would make my waffling so much easier…guess I’ll have to actually go to a store to check it all out…I like to much more when things just show up at my door! ;-)

4. kate says:

who can blame a girl!

5. Jen says:

Oh she’ll be off on her own in no time. Great picture!

6. marta says:

My two oldest never got around to using the training wheels. Both started riding on their own just before their 5th birthdays, so I guess we won’t be pushing the youngest (just turned 3) into riding with the training wheels either. Gives me a backache and takes tooooooo long. I’ll just wait a couple more years and push him forward a handful of times. It only takes a few hours, really, and they enjoy it so much more!

7. Stacey says:

Hi Chris - love your blog! Just wanted to share a handy tip with you. I bought my daughter a razor scooter and apparently that helps with balance a lot because the next time she got on her bike, she just took off. When it was time for the next one to learn, I just kept them on the scooter for a week first. Seems to work like a charm. I’m thinking if they would just market the scooters with that tip, their sales would surely increase, and parents irritation level would definitely decrease. Thanks again for all the great reading material!

So sweet! We have been attempting to get my son to ride without wheels. he pedals around twice then falls down. It’s then time to for the celebration run around the yard!!

9. Wicked Stepmom says:

Aww…

What else are Daddy’s for, but to push and BE pushed around by their children (esp their Little Girls)?

Beautiful photo.

10. jennP says:

i tried a few weeks ago with my 6 year old daughter… i don’t think she is ready because as I was running behind her, her first reflex was to turn around and grab a hold of me instead of just peddling and going straight!

the training wheels went right back on….
    but we DID get a Razor-type scooter as Stacey suggested and I agree it is helping with the balance. I won’t be trying the two wheels for a while yet… my back… and sanity… can’t handle it (and my hubby isn’t the one doing it!!)

good luck!

11. Gretchen says:

Ok, confess, you REALLY took that picture of Rob, not your daughter! LOL I have several pictures of my hubby from that angle ;-)

congrats to dd for taking off the training wheels!

12. Sue says:

Talk about “least effort” my 7 year old literally came home from a playdate Sunday and said “Abby taught me to ride a two-wheeler!”. A fellow first grader spent more time teaching my child than I did. Nice going, mom-of-the-Year.

13. Heather's Garden says:

We lived in a city when I was the right age to take off the training wheels, so there was actually no riding of bikes at all. When we moved out to the burbs, I was 9, so I never had training wheels. Luckily I was still young enough to be fearless and I just got on and went. My younger sister has a hysterical story about the time she ran into a parked van on her bike. We weren’t the most coordinated kids in the world.

14. Ruth H says:

Well, that is part of the reason for Dad’s and big brothers.

15. Grim Reality Girl says:

Ah to be so young and SO smart!!!!!!

16. Carolyn says:

We have a gently sloped side lawn. We found that this really helped the younger two when they wanted the trainers off. It kept them from going too fast but the slope was just enough to help them learn to balance and if they fell, they fell into the grass.

Our oldest (boy) was a little older (I’m thinking around 6) and he was at the neighbors who had a gently sloped driveway (down towards their house). He would start at the street and just lift his feet and coast until he figured out his balance…then the feet went to the pedals and he was off. It WAS a small (12″? bike though) so it was small enough that it was EASY for him to put his feet down before falling.

Great picture!

17. that girl says:

I feel the same way. Good girl! ;)

18. Steph says:

At Target they have a bar that attaches to the back wheels of a bike. It’s so the parents can hold onto that bar for balance, but don’t have to bend down like that. It really helped my 4 year old learn to ride his bike and really saved my back!!!

19. Kirsetin says:

Can’t say I blame her. Wouldn’t it be nice for someone else push us around on our bikes for awhile? All the fun without the work–she’s a smart one!

20. vicki says:

We bought our daughter a small bike eight months ago for her fifth birthday….we ended up donating it to a thrift store last week….she’d never ride the thing! She still waits for me to ride my bike and then climbs herself into the toddler seat, even though she’s so big her knees hit her in the chin!

21. Tracey says:

My boys learned on the grass to start, much less painful on the falls :-) It really helped them gain the confidence to get out on the pavement. Congrats to your cute grrrrrrl! :-)

22. chanelireli says:

What an adorable picture. Sometimes I’d wish someone would push me on my back. I’ve even tried to convince my husband to buy a tandem bike so I can sit back and pretend to pedal :)

23. Amy says:

Take off the pedals and let her scoot along with her feet and then lift her feet and glide. They glide for longer and longer periods of time until they just all of the sudden “get” the balance thing. That’s how we taught both of our kids. It teaches them the fine art of balance without a parent having to go into full-blown heart attack mode running behind them. I learned it in Parents magazine :) It works like a charm :)

24. suburbancorrespondent says:

Thank heaven for chiropractic medicine…

25. Kate, BunchaBlueEyedMonkeys says:

One of our monkeys just conquered this last week, also! Yay for dads who push!!

26. Cate says:

I concur about the gentle grassy slope. Also lower her seat so she can put her feet on the ground easily. I taught myself to ride a bike when I was four. Guess it’s not too shocking then that I unwind by going on long bike rides. My toddlers first memories will probably be sitting in the bike trailer.

27. Becky says:

Snazzy is how I’m going to be able to borrow all of the helpful comments on how to help teach a child to ride a bike on…myself. Though, going by the range of ages, it appears that I’m fifteen years behind.

28. Angela says:

What a great picture. My husband had to teach our daughter how to ride a bike…honestly…if it hadn’t been for him she wouldn’t know even now that she is older. He took over when people were looking at me funny at the park because I kept yelling “just get on it and go…just go!” - yeah…didn’t get the mother of the year award that year either!