I Am My Own YES Network

I Am My Own YES Network

June 4, 2008

I am going to change the name of my blog. Notes from the Baseball Field. Because clearly I have nothing left to write about except for baseball related posts.

whoops

Here is my son diving for the ball in my front yard. Which is all well and good except you can see where his eyes are looking, right? He is looking there because the ball has already LONG gone by him. At least his hand isn’t stuck in his pocket.

And he does have great hair. Way to go Leif Garrett!

miss

Miles demonstrates the proper technique for head protection.

This evening we have two baseball games in two different towns at the same time, as well as a practice I have already decided to blow off. This is problematic since I have not yet figured out how to clone myself. Mercifully it is raining outside. As opposed to inside which would be tragic. Though all this means is that the inevitable has been postponed.

At least I don’t have to think about it today.

ballhold

Here my 12 year old son explains proper ball holding technique to his 7 yr old brother. Don’t ask me about it. I am clueless. What do you mean your palm doesn’t touch the ball? It really is sad that my 7 yr old has surpassed all my athletic abilities.

Comments

1. liz says:

I love that first one. I take youth sports action photos professionally and my favorites are where they are trying really hard, whether they make the play or not.

2. Char says:

You take some great shots!

3. Sara says:

Oh my goodness! I love the picture of Miles covering his head! I’m actually laughing out loud right now. Priceless!

4. Tranny Head says:

I’m extremely jealous of his hair. Why is it the boys always get fabtastic hair like that and women like me get stringy nothingness? What a bummer.

5. Tiffany says:

Heehee, the Leif Garret comment made me LOL! I remember my sister used to buy Teen Beat and plaster pictures of Scott Baio on her wall. I always wondered why he didn’t share her wall with Leif Garret, Shawn Cassidy and Parker Stevenson.

Your boys are very handsome. My boys don’t play baseball (we’re a basketball family) but there is something so idyllic about seeing boys with a baseball…

6. Jen says:

Yep. I too have mastered two places at the same time but have been unable to progress further and achieve the three places at once. It’s the grail of multiple motherhood.

7. readersguide says:

Amazing pictures. And what a beautiful kid!

8. threeundertwo says:

Great pictures! When my daughter said she didn’t want to do summer softball league it took all my energy to contain my shouts of glee. I know what it feels like to live at diamond after diamond.

9. EG says:

If you’d planned a little better, you’d have spread those kids out so the oldest ones could shuttle the smaller ones around. And you could stay home.

Oh, poor blond child with the good hair. Does he read your blog?

I wish it would rain inside since that’s the only way I’ll ever manage to get my floors clean.

11. Aironn says:

I feel your pain and I only have two boys playing this year. One is playing two different baseball leagues (thanks dad for signing him up for one after I had already signed him up for the other one) and a soccer league which all overlapped this week so it is CRAZY at our house too. If you figure out how to clone yourself, sign me up. I love reading your blog!

12. jody says:

I am loving the pic of Miles. Just hilarious.

I am renaming my blog “and baby isn’t on swim team, but 2 are so I am in the car going back and forth all morning taking kids and picking them up and going back for forgotten towels and swim goggles.com”

13. suburbancorrespondent says:

When our kids did soccer, I used to pray for rainy weekends.

14. Much More Than A Mom says:

Those are great pictures! Do you always have a camera around your neck?

15. Lilly says:

Love that photo of your son diving for the ball. Beautiful kid and a great shot!

16. Molly says:

Hope that ball hits that black bear of yours straight in the noggin.

17. Ann from St. Peter MN says:

Oh, how I miss those days at the ballpark! Believe me, I didn’t think I ever would, being that there was always a game to watch, be it in the sun, heat, Minnesota mosquitos,or rain, etc. Three nights a week our dinner was a hot dog from the concession stand. I don’t miss the sport as much as I miss the network of parents and fans that were always a constant. Trust me - someday you ARE gonna miss this!

18. Liz says:

I love these pictures, and MY GOODNESS but you certainly have a fine looking family.

19. Stephanie says:

Great shots, Chris and the anecdotes are priceless!

I also love that Miles is in cleats in the yard. So cute…and typical of the males, having to wear the uniform at all times.

Okay, so I have to ask, are you still using the default settings on your camera, or have you become more advanced?

Your shots are looking very advanced, and I’m curious about the technical details of the last one in particular, shutter speed, f-stop, etc….do you know? Or did you just get really lucky? :-)
    Whatever you did, your eye is amazing there, lady!

20. catnip says:

Your baseball shots are WAY better than my baseball shots!

21. Nextcommercial says:

Sadly. I remember Leif Garret. At least, now I know you are close to my age.

My Grandfather was convinced Leif was a girl. A pretty one no less.

22. Lucy says:

You take such wonderful action pictures!

23. Kirsetin says:

Seriously, I think I need a new camera. Great shots!

24. Haley says:

I am the clone of the woman I babysit for…and she only has three boys. I don’t know how you do it. Tomorrow, I have to drop one off at a guitar lesson, and then take the other to a birthday party, and all the while, the mom will be at traveling soccer try-outs with the oldest. Thinking about it makes my head spin!

Oh, and I love the locks of sunflower seed boy. How did he convince you against the buzz cut?

25. kellie says:

great photos once again!

and um, I thought we were not to mention the 12 year old anymore? or was that an older one?

we too had softball and little L this evening but I did my rain dance all day, it worked! so I took off to go see Sex in the city with some Mom friends…seems I am always eating from some type of snack bar these days..

26. evie says:

I love your baseball shots. In my family, it is swimming. Our last swim meet went from 8 am to 3:45pm. All to watch my daughter swim for about 2 minutes and 15 seconds. She is 10.
    My son is 16, his next swim meet is 3 days long and in a city far, far away. He probably will swim for about 6 minutes each
    day. I wish they played baseball.

27. Camilla says:

The first is an awesome action shot, and the second made me nearly spit my coffee laughing!! Lolol. Thanks for the morning cheer. :p

28. Rosemary says:

What wonderful pictures, priceless memories.

29. Amanda says:

As the former jock mother of a non-athletically inclined kid, I’m loving the baseball talk. However, I wouldn’t degrade your blog by comparing it to the YES network (Yes, I’m a Sox fan). If you figure out the cloning thing, you’ll have to let the rest of us in on your secret.

30. Shannon says:

Oh my goodness, that Leif Garrett comment is hilarious!!!
    Great picture of the hair in action, lol. It really IS some cute hair.

31. Carolyn says:

Childrens baseball is an evil endless little game.

32. Jacki says:

I love the posts with baseball, it’s what’s happening for you and I’m very glad you share.

(I had no idea about the palm on the baseball thing…I learned something today!)

33. Cara says:

I love the one of Miles protecting his head.

34. Common Mom says:

Great shots!

My son is starting baseball for the first time this summer. I will soon be joining your ranks ;-) Although, I only have one son . . . so it will most likely be less stressful . . . until princess starts playing softball . . . then I’ll have a bit more of a challenge on my hands. I will continue to come here and read for support :-)

35. ppreacherswife says:

A couple of years ago, I had all 5 of mine playing baseball, it was a real sport in itself trying to get to all the games and practices. I spent more time than legally allowed in my car that season.

36. Heidi says:

There are many of us that can relate to the baseball stories…as well as wishing we could clone ourselves. I am in the midst of my son’s baseball career and feel your pain. I too wish for the rain when I have to be at three places at once. Keep the baseball stories coming, I love them!

37. chanelireli says:

I love the pics! Thank goodness baseball season is finally winding down over here. I had three in baseball this year, I don’t know how you do it!

38. Linda@Gotta Grow With It says:

you are an incredible photographer! love the hair flying hair too.

39. Marcela says:

I really don’t know how you do it. Seven kids, baseball season, blogging, and homeschooling too? Please tell us how you find time to do everything! It’s already been said, but beautiful pictures.

40. Mom101 says:

Holy cow (as the late Phil Rizzuto would have said) - when they’re off playing pro ball in the future, I hope they’ll be able to support you in your pursuit of a professional photography career.

41. Jaime says:

I know this is the 100th time you have been asked but…what kind of camera do you have?
    Thanks

42. Julie Stiles Mills says:

I’ve got the camera, what lens do you have?

43. Sue says:

I’m with Jaime- can you post what camera you have? My photos are always so lame - like I’m using a disposable. I gotta step up my game.