First Place

First Place

June 22, 2008

championship-trophy

One championship won.

The season is winding down, except for my oldest son who is just gearing up and will be playing through August. But co-ordinating the practice and game schedule for one kid will be a cake walk after this season of trying to juggle four different teams.

The coach said one nice thing about all the kids as he handed them their trophies. Some were nice like “great hitter” or “all around good player.” Some were so-so like, “never met a pitch he didn’t like to swing at” or “tries really hard, even though he never hits anything.” Of course his own kid walked on water while turning it into wine.

He said my son could “run like the wind.” Which is true, he can run incredibly fast. You know when he actually hits the ball and doesn’t do things like get his hand stuck in his pocket.

championship2

My seven year old got a trophy as an honorary member of the team. He went to all the practices with the team, but he is only seven and not eligible to play with them. This disappointed the coach so. He would have loved to trade my blonde son with the bad attitude for the little one with the fiery spirit.

So the coach gave him and another younger brother of a member of the team trophies and called them the team good luck charms. As soon as they started sitting in the dugout with the team, the team went on a winning streak.

I am not sure if you can tell by the photo above that he did not like that trophy one bit. Nope, he wasn’t pleased at all.

Friday my 12 year old had his championship game. They are thus far undefeated. But we all know that means absolutely nothing. I am just hoping they win for no other reason than the series will end. Since it is a double elimination series they would have to continue playing. And I would have to continue driving him to the field. The trophies should really be inscribed with the names of the players mothers.

Comments

1. Damsel says:

How do you not drown by falling into dimples at your house? They seem to be everywhere!

Congrats to your kiddos!

2. suburbancorrespondent says:

Every time I read something like this, I feel guilty for not signing my kids up for sports! Maybe next year…swim team, perhaps…

3. Anna says:

DUDE! Your kids are cute! I can’t wait for stuff like this, but then again, I only have the one kid…not nearly so many trips to the ball field…

4. Diane says:

The trophies should come with certificates for a free cocktail hour or three for the moms - and another one for a hefty dollar amount for gas.

Do *all* your kids have those adorable dimples?

5. Melissa says:

Love the pictures! And, I have a couple of the younger ‘fiery’ ones as well, who got accolades from the coaches early on. That said, coachability comes into play (at least for mine)- LOL>

6. Headless Mom says:

Baseball rocks. I had 2 teams this year so I kinda know what you mean.

You rock for all of the coordination skillz!

7. Tania says:

Well I guess the coach partially redeemed himself by giving your younger son a trophy and making him so happy :) …up until that point though I was seething about his “never met a pitch he didn’t like to swing at” or “tries really hard, even though he never hits anything” comments (while his own son is the 2nd coming of the Messiah). Does he not think that kids know that he is being putting them down? GGRRR

And I have to repeat what everyone else has said AAAHHHH those dimples - gorgeous.

8. Cmommy says:

My 12 yr-old just got back from a week in Cooperstown. He and his dad had soooooo much fun. We eat, sleep and breath baseball at the moment!

9. Trudie says:

Good at playing baseball or not - these kids obviously have some good genes to fall back on!
    I’m with Diane - free cocktails for the Moms and reimbursement for gas should be minimum!

Tell them congratulations from a fan!

And what if they gave the winners’ mothers gas vouchers instead of trophies? You know, to offset the cost of all that driving.

11. Carolyn says:

I love the trophies for the good luck honorary members. So cute. And yes, you should get a trophy for managing the baseball players.

12. debbie says:

Miles is going to look like the oldest son. I was surprised how much they look a like! And what a neat picture of the 7 year old with his trophy. Your kids are ALL cute. I was thinking of your blog the other day your comment the nurse smiled at your husband after your scan and thought she was smiling because he was CUTE not because of the results. :-)

13. Amanda says:

Good luck to your son’s team. I hope they win too just so you’re done with one more team’s season. We’ll be gearing up for the Little League World Series here in another month or so.

14. Amy says:

The pictures were great. I LOVE the moment you captured on the second one. Priceless.

15. kristi says:

Oh, the dimples. The dimples! I have a mom crush on your boys. Thanks a lot, now I need to go make a boy…

16. First Rough Draft says:

How wonderful that the “good luck charms” got trophies. And I definitely agree that the moms deserve trophies as well. I’m glad — for your sake — that baseball season is winding down. I think I’m going to miss all the baseball posts and photos though. I guess I’ll just have to wait until next summer!

17. jennifer says:

As a mom of baseball boys you are so right about it all! As a mom I love it and hate it at the same time. Of course I couldn’t imagine spending my time doing anything else! My oldest recently lost his last game. As the team walked around trying to fight the tears, every mom silently cheered since the next game would have been a day game in 100 degree heat! Only a mom can understand!
    P.S. Do you find that coach’s sons are always the worst behaved on the team??

18. Shannon says:

Love that they give them out after the game. Ours have team parties that cost a fortune, and then give them out at the party. This year the baseball party was the same night as the school dance. My son chose the dance, whew, because the party was 25 dollars per family PLUS 13 for the trophy.

19. threeundertwo says:

I think baseball moms should get spa days at the end of the season, but that’s just me.

20. Paula says:

My neighbors 12 yr old just won the LL championship as well - and since I have no kids of my own - I baked him a pie!
    Strawberry, blueberry, rhubarb, blackberry pie. His Dad was the coach but I told him that the player gets the first piece… which was met with my favorite word:

“awesome”

I kind of like being the pseudo-Aunt.

You pictures are beautiful - would you consider sharing the type of camera you have?
    P

21. Becky says:

Oh my goodness, you definitely deserve a trophy!
    :) Becky

22. ELK says:

YES for the trophies with MOM’s name on it! I agree!

23. Jamie AZ says:

Yes, the moms definitely deserve something after these seasons! It’s so cool that the coach gave the two younger boys trophies - very sweet.

24. CaliforniaGrammy says:

We’ve totally enjoyed watching our two grandsons play this season, now that they live close by. I can’t imagine having to juggle the schedules of four players. I agree the mom’s should be given a very special trophy at the end of a season. Ya gotta love the smiles!

25. dana says:

Can I make a non-baseball comment on your all-baseball blog?

A long time ago you posted a pic of your “children’s library” and I was enthralled by the idea of having such a room in one’s home. A wide hallway in our house is now lined with bookcases and we have a kids’ library too, instead of books spread to every corner of the house! Thanks for the inspiration.

26. Angie says:

DEFINITELY! I want to know where is my trophy from sitting in the bleachers out of town 9 months pregnant for a championship basketball game?

27. Mary W says:

I want a kid who can turn water into wine - that way when he makes me need to drink it - he’s useful.

Being able to specify the type would be an even better skill.

28. Honey Mommy says:

I am seriously going to have to have you educate me to the ways of boys. I grew up in a house of girls and right now we have two little boys. I am sure that raising them is going to be quite and education for me!

29. Karen says:

Congratulations to your terribly cute kids! I have to admit, though, that reading about all your game juggling makes me happy that my kids are summertime slugs. Football season will be here again before we know it, though!

30. kelielb says:

I have already drawn the line in the sand for my son’s baseball tournament to be finished - they must lose that night if they are still in the tournament because I am not - not, I repeat - leaving for vacation later than planned!

5 months of watching baseball in cold weather is so enough! We even had a May game halted because it was snowing!

31. Dawn says:

Oh lord,the dimples!

And yes, mothers’ names should go on ALL the trophies. As practice for spelling them right on the cocktail certificates.

32. smocha says:

My kids never got to play sports until they were 8,10 and 12.
    (shame on me) By that time they pretty much sucked.

I sucked too. Just sitting in the bleachers nearly killed me. Much less the “3 kids …all in an important game ,15 miles apart!”

Back then …they didn’t give trophy’s to anyone except the “high up” winners.

When my youngest was in high school , I got a trophy at the thrift store and taped “worlds greatest kid” over someone else’s name …just to give him some glory/ shut him up. :)

You and your kids have got it goin’ on!

Us old ladies will be here to pick you up …when it’s all over. :)

33. Dy says:

Four? *swoon* This year we had three. Three was challenging, I thought.

Actually, I thought I was getting off early by giving birth shortly after the season began, but as it turns out, no. Shortly after they cut the cord, your frazzled husband tosses you the keys to the Suburban and says, “I can get these two to their games, but you’re gonna have to get the little one to his. You’ve got the other kids, then? Right. Love ya.” And he’s out the door before you can admit that you don’t even know which child you’re supposed to be hauling to what field. Or when.

I’ve contemplated hiring a nanny for baseball season next year - if for no other reason than to run scheduling interference for me.

Way to go, kids! LOVE that rapture for the honorary team member trophy. That’s why we keep going to these things, isn’t it? Dang, they’re cute when they’re happy.

Dy

34. Dy says:

“easy” - thought I was getting off *easy*, not early. Gah. Time for bed.
    Dy

35. Jolene George says:

I found your blog today and it totally sucked me in. Not many blogs do that for me. I found myself scrolling through page after page completely losing track of time to the point of being a teeny bit late to one of my boys basketball practices. I came back to continue after practice and dinner. I’m pretty sure I got all the way through it. You are a wonderful writer and photographer and your family is beautiful. I have no idea what part of the country you live in, but it’s gorgeous beyond measure. Truly awesome blog!

36. Jen says:

Baseball, alas, we are out of the playoff’s :( — not too sure who the winner actually was?

37. kelly says:

hey….i live in KC and none of our players are that freakin’ cute!

38. Lovebabz says:

I am cutting my teeth on baseball season hell! Oh MY! My oldest son is in a baseball camp. If he likes it and he does…he wants to find a team…aargh! I know I have to support them when they want to do positive stuff…otherwise they will grow up to be drug dealers and pimps and GOD forbid republicans…LOL!

Sigh!

39. kate says:

DIMPLES!!!!!

40. Missi says:

Not a baseball mom (yet) - but I second that y’all should get spa days!

41. EG says:

But blond one with the bad attitude is so cute!