Don’t Blink

Don’t Blink

June 26, 2008

pitch

Tonight before the game I was sitting with some of the other mothers of boys on the team. The other team was on the field warming up. We all remarked at how huge they were. Why were those boys so big? Did they have some ringers on the team? Were those high school boys? And my god they are throwing those balls so hard and running so fast. Our bay-bees were going to be crushed by this team of giants.

Then our kids took the field alongside them. And we realized they were the same size. And they threw the balls just as hard and ran just as fast.

We won the game 10-1.

I know it is such a cliche, and one that was impossible to believe when my children were all so small and I lacked the perspective of time, but they grow up way too fast.

pitch3

I’m afraid to blink again.

Comments

1. Yvie says:

Great photos! :)

2. amy says:

Oh. Thank you for expressing that so well. I had the exact conversation with my friends upteen years ago and guess what, we are still saying that every.single.time the boys go out to play high school baseball and 16u tournament ball, and then guess what? They are just as big if not bigger than most at 6 feet plus, (but we still think they are not that big…)and it just keeps on keeping on as they say.

3. Angella says:

I am floored by how we are on the same wavelength. “Blink” was my post title today about G graduating.

Those crazy kids have us all baffled by how fast they are growing.

4. Victoria says:

Wow. This is the second “I blinked and my kid grew up” post I’ve read today. I wish I could slow down time for all you parents.

5. Jules says:

I’m gonna be singing Kenny Chesney all night. ;-) Beautiful boys. Mine just started t-ball this year. I’d better keep my eyes open

6. Owlhaven says:

Isn’t that true? My second son (baby #4– age 13) is taller than me. His voice is changing. he’s almost caught up to my first son (16) in height, and I keep mistaking him for my older son at a distance, that’s how unused I am to his new size….

Mary, mom to many (hugging my babies close– when they let me)

7. Tiffany says:

So funny. I used this exact same phrase on my Wordless Wednesday this week. Yes, they grow entirely too fast. Bittersweet.

8. Kristin says:

The cliches are impossible to believe until you’ve lived them. I’m scared to blink, too.

9. mary says:

two things i love?

Baseball and Notes from the Trenches formerly the big yellow house

lol

(oh yeah and stuff like my kids and all that too)

10. Maddy says:

And don’t you hate it when you hear the words coming out of your own mouth “in my day”, I feel so bloody old!

11. Brigitte says:

Man, you may have no time to paint, but you are certainly still a true artist!

12. Ladybug Crossing says:

They get too big too fast. Enjoy them now - pretty soon they’ll be asking for the car keys. Trust me… I’m living your future.

13. Marie says:

Chris I have been pondering the same question. My baby turns 12 next week. I just cannot believe that time has passed so quickly.

14. kdiddy says:

my 6-year-old is playing tee-ball this year for the second year. last year all he could do was pretend to hit the ball, pretend to try to catch it. this year, he’s actually starting to catch and pitch and hit in a respectable way. it’s totally amazing to me.

15. Shannon says:

I know exactly what you mean.

16. First Rough Draft says:

So bittersweet. I love the photos.

17. Beverly says:

Don’t blink.

I promise.

18. Honey Mommy says:

Wow.

That second photo is awesome!

I know what you mean about them growing up too fast. Even the very little ones change SO fast! We are thinking about potty-training, which will be a big change at our house. And then this week my teensy weensy bay-bee boy started doing THIS!

19. Debbie says:

Remember when they were babies and crying in the night and we all wished they were older? Then it happened….. now I wish I was up in the middle of the night rocking a baby and enjoying the moment.

20. Keri says:

Have you ever listened to the song Dont Blink by Kenny Chesney? your photos are great. Miles will be on the pitching mound in no time…

21. Heather's Garden says:

Just wait…my baby graduated from high school last week and is half way out the door to college already. Yesterday he was holding my hand in the parking lot, today it’s like pulling teeth to hug him and he starts when we touch him.

22. Inkymommy says:

OMG! Now, I KNOW I am PMSing! I just burst into tears while reading this and that is soooo not me. Seriously, thanks so much for your delightful commentary on life. My entire family really enjoys your keen sense of humor. The kiddos, (9,6,3), regularly request to see the old weasel posts. I don’t let them sing the song anymore tho, cause 3YO son can’t resist yelling, “Holy Sh*t! It’s a weasel!”

23. Carola says:

my oldest is two and a half and yet I am already saying that…they DO grow very very fast.

24. Becky says:

Such a sweet way to put it… I don’t have kids yet, but my nephews are growing up so fast, and I just can’t believe it! They’re turning into little boys! Where did the babies go?!
    :) Becky

25. Leslie says:

My first “baby” graduated high school last month and will soon head off to college. I do know what you mean!

26. Annette says:

Amen. My bay-bee is 10, my first-born will be 18. When did it happen? And right under my nose?

27. Mary W says:

My man child remarked that in five years time he’d be heading off for college. Five years seemed so long ago when he was 2 and now it’s a blink of an eye. On one hand I want to hold on to himand keep him next to me and on the other I can hardly wait to see what he’ll become.

28. mom8k says:

No kidding…the fourth of my eight just graduated from high school, my baby is almost ten. Now I’M the older woman in the grocery store telling the young moms how fast it all goes.
    Although I must admit, in the grocery store the relief outweighs the nostalgia!!

29. jennielynn says:

Oh Lord, I know how you feel. Yesterday, I was walking the halls with Drama Queen, crying with exhaustion. Today, I saw her holding hands with a boy and realized she would be fourteen in a few months. Where the hell is the wormhole?

30. julie@love,laughter&laundry says:

I couldn’t agree more!

Congrats on the win! It’s SOOOOO True that you really don’t understand how fast time goes until you have kids of your own. Days tun into years very quickly. But I never seem to age…LOL Miles is So Cute. Enjoy him!

32. Ruth H says:

Wait till you are sitting beside your youngest son and talking politics and you realize Obama (or whoever is running at that time) is younger than that son! My Baby!!!
    blink? I hardly turned around.
    Okay, do I win this round?

33. Mocha says:

I might be the only one kind of enjoying them finally growing up (sometimes, I mean there are times when I’m feeling this, too). I’ve just been a parent for soooo looooong.

Hell, I don’t want your kids growing too fast. They’re so cute and wee!

34. Anne Glamore says:

I about fainted when my 12 year old and all his friends hit the ball field this year– they’ve had some BIG growth spurts since last year.

We’re about to go to Cooperstown for a week of baseball, and I hear some of those kids are so big they look like they eat babies for breakfast!

It seems like YESTERDAY we were still back in Tball, and the cleats didn’t smell like the lion cage.

35. Elizabeth says:

On the other hand - today I called in a class registration for my daughter, and I said “she’s sixteen” while I was introducing myself. The registrar later asked while filling out the forms “and she’s fifteen, right?” and I corrected her immediately “oh, no, she’s sixteen.” And, it just sounded weird to think that she ever was only fifteen and i was almost offended this stranger on the phone who’d never seen her would think that.

She will be sixteen and a half tomorrow. I guess it takes less than six months to go from “you can’t be that old” to “of course you are.”

36. Liz says:

Yipes!

37. RubiaLala says:

Oh, I love the comparing photos. Even though time flies, those two pictures are timeless.

38. Mrs. Schmitty says:

Blinking is such a bad, bad thing. I’m tempted to tape my eyelids open.

39. GrimRealityGirl says:

I blinked too. Where did the time go? Great photos as usual! Do you use the photos on your computer for a slide show screen saver? Anyone walking past would be trapped — your photos are beautiful and would not be able to be ignored!

40. Lela says:

You have such beautiful children. Know what you mean; my oldest and only son is a senior and will be graduating in a year. And at the same time, I am so proud of him and can’t wait to see what he becomes. I don’t want to be like my own mother who always seemed mad at me for the decisions that I made at that time in my life. I saw the world as a great adventure and couldn’t wait to get started with exploration.

Don’t say it! My son is at the BEST age EVER! I am loving three!

The two pictures are fantastic, alone and together.

42. CaliforniaGrammy says:

My “bay-bees” are 43 and 38, and my grand bay-bees are 13 down to 7, and yes, it would be better if I not blink ever again!

43. Chris says:

I almost always enjoy your posts, but this one really struck me as both funny & sweet. I hate how fast my little guy is growing!

44. jennifer g. says:

Dang it, why must you always do this to me? (Sniff!)

45. Polina says:

Congratulations with the Victory:)
    Great photos and… I also am afraid of blinking:) Have just found an old photo album where my daughter is all tiny… and now she is a little lady already…

46. Mom101 says:

Oh man Chris, with a few short sentences and two perfectly juxtaposed photos you just got me all teary.