The Longest Day

The Longest Day

July 29, 2008

This morning I woke up at 4am and could not fall back asleep. So I decided to just get up and start my day. I have been trying to catch up on writing obligations since BlogHer and have not been able to for a variety of reasons, most of them having to do with the plague I came home with and the needy children I gave birth to.

By 6 am I had done a ton of work and had two cups of coffee. I emailed Susan to tell her I was pretending to be her today. For those of you who don’t know, she gets up this early every day. She also goes to sleep at night around the time I am feeding my family.

By 8am, I had downloaded forms to obtain copies of all my children’s birth certificates. Seems you need those for everything nowadays, unlike the olden days when I was a child.

By 10am I emailed Susan back to say I don’t know how people can be Susan Wagner. It is too tiring.

It is now 12:50 and I feel like it should be dinner time. I have no idea what I am going to cook tonight, but if I keep having a Susan Wagner day I will be in bed asleep and they can all fend for themselves.

I have a new post over at Work It, Mom! with five tips for making summer meal planning easy. It could probably also be titled, How to make dinner without really trying. Which really just about sums up everything in my life.

Comments

1. regan says:

Susan is not human, she’s a machine, sent from the future to make the rest of us look like slackers.

2. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Check out your post over at Work It, Mom! You may find a tip on planning what’s for dinner? TeeHee!

3. hip mom's guide says:

Ooooooh, my friend Kathy is one of those early-to-rise, early-to-bed types, while I am in the sleep-as-late-as-possible, stay-awake-all-night camp. But I still love her! Cereal or peanut butter will make a lovely dinner, just this once, I’m sure. Sweet dreams.

4. suburbancorrespondent says:

4 AM is not morning, it is still nighttime. Dear Lord, what is wrong with you people?

5. jody says:

I probably cook 9 out of ten meals you post over there. They are yummy and easy.

I could not regularly wake up at 4am if my life depended on it. 6:30 is rough for me, and then I am in bed by 8:30-9:00pm.

Have a Happy Susan Wagner day!

6. Eileen123 says:

Oh Chris, you’ll make it, I know you can! I read your article on Work it, Mom! — Great tips, thanks :)

http://www.simplestop.net - Stop your postal junk mail, Protect the environment, Protect your identity.

7. melissaS says:

You should head out to supper at 4pm with all the other retirees. Maybe watch a little weather channel. I swear that’s how i feel when I rise ridiculously early.

8. Moose says:

I think I need to follow Susan’s fine example. Preferably with an IV drip full of cappuccino.

If you collapse on the floor, aim for a pile of laundry. (Uh, not to imply that your floor is full of errant t-shirts. That might just be my floor.)

9. slynnro says:

I got up at 5 (because I was getting a root canal and in pain and couldn’t sleep anyway) and went to the gym. I feel like a deserve a damn trophy for it.

10. Maria says:

I think I need a couple Susan Wagner days. I could get so much done at 4:00 a.m.

11. Lovebabz says:

Ooo it sounds like you need a cereal is dinner tonight experience. Sister you gotta learn how to say “Uncle” and surrender. You cannot do it all the time at breakneck speed in great shoes…no matter if you are Susan or not.

I am so sorry I didn’t find you at Blogher… I did so wanted to meet you!

12. Karen says:

Out of curiosity, what happened to the year off buying things? That website seems to have disappeared. Did you guys give up?

13. Claudious says:

I know exactly how you feel, I woke up with the sun this morning… sometime around 9am, it was terrible, I thought all day about going back to bed, and thank heavens, without that nap I don’t know how I would have made it.

14. Brigitte says:

I wake up early (not 4:00, but close), but feel too tired and lack motivation to do more than read some blogs and email. ;-)

15. Keri says:

4am is the middle of the night. (in my world)

16. ali says:

i have susan wagner long days…pretty much every day…i just can’t figure out how she looks so damn pretty doing it..:)