Party Like It’s October 31st

Party Like It’s October 31st

July 30, 2008

The Orange Room

The thing about having a room that looks like this in your house is that you are always ready for an impromptu Halloween party. Not that we ever do have one. But the possibility was always there.

By next week, or so (we are operating on contractor time) it will be a normal, non-holiday themed room. And we will have to get our decorations at Party City like everyone else.

Comments

1. Damsel says:

Love that color!!!!

2. Miz says:

I love the character of the windows! Very classy :)

3. Keri says:

Chris - I love the windows and the mantle on the fireplace. What color will it be painted. How is your kitchen??

4. lora says:

I love pictures of your house. It helps me dream about what I’m going to buy someday. Let me know if you ever need a buyer.

Who knew you had a secret other room?!?! I want a secret other room. All I have now is a junk closet.

5. Jamie says:

I love your windows!!!

6. Kim says:

I love the windows! Definitely share the after pics!

7. jody says:

Oh! Contractors! Dust city for a bit, but worth it!

8. DR says:

Chris, looks like a great TN Vols room from this perspective!

9. Angela says:

I just want to sit and look out of those amazing windows for a few hours. (I’ll wear a sheet over my head and mutter a random “oooOOOOOoooo” or two, if you want.)

10. Diane says:

Err - that really is orange in the insets, not a deep peach, right? What is that song in the computer commercial that describes orange as “warm and messy like fingerpaint”? LOL.

What non-Halloween color will it become?

11. Carrie says:

Love the windows! Gorgeous!

12. Kasey says:

Oh wow! I love it when you put up remodeling photos, the geek in me just gets so excited to see your after pics especially because yall always do such an incredible job! It’s amazing to me when all the sudden you put up a picture of your next project room never before seen on the net, it feels like the big yellow house (that’s not really yellow) with a big orange room is the biggest house ever! Also makes me feel like I really need to finish up all the crap I’ve started in my tiny little house..

13. Emily says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE your windows, that light sconce, and the moulding around the fireplace! You got lucky with that house - even if it has required mass amounts of renovation/reconstruction.

14. Barb says:

Oh.My.Gosh. The windows! I love them. And not that I’ve ever actually been to your house, so I don’t know why I think I should know, but what room is this? Have we seen this before? I don’t remember it.

15. Jordana says:

How boring! What good is a room with no holes in the plaster? :)

16. Becky says:

Your windows are spectacular. Bold colors are fun, but you have to be the one to pick them.

17. Eileen123 says:

Great fire place. I can’t wait to see it when it’s finished!

18. CaliforniaGrammy says:

Can’t wait to see what color you’ve chosen. And, like most of your other fans who’ve commented before me, your windows are beautiful!

19. Annette says:

How in the world did you tolerate that as long as you have?
    Wow! What were they thinking? I am sure it will look fabulous when you are finished. WE just built a new house and are paying for things out the rear to make it look old :) I love the windows too. I could sit with Angela and cakkle like a witch on occasion. It’s not that much of a stretch. Ask my kids and husband:)

20. Sue @ My Party of 6 says:

It is SUCH a beautiful house! (Paint color and plaster work notwithstanding.)

21. Jamie AZ says:

Someone thought it looked good at some point, right?! Certainly not how I’d decorate, either. Can’t wait to see the after pictures!

22. Karen says:

I’m not sure abotu that color, but those windows are fab!

23. amy says:

Your home is beautiful- is it a historical one?

24. Dianna says:

I love the fireplace. And those windows, gorgeous! Bummer about no more impromptu parties though!

25. rebecca says:

I agree: A secret room! A room we had no idea about! How exciting!

What is this room, by the way? Formal living room?

26. Angella says:

I cannot WAIT to see the “After” photo!

27. PastormacsAnn says:

Wow that really is ORANGE! Can’t wait to see the finished room! The windows and the fireplace are really lovely.

28. houndrat says:

Wow, a REAL house. It’s nice to see again, after living here in SoCal tract hell.

29. Jen says:

Loooove the windows and fireplace.

I just have to tell you that in the area I live (mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon) the state is pretty much divided into either Oregon State University fans, or University of Oregon fans. If you’re an OSU Beaver alum like my husband, it means that ANY day, year-round, is a good day to wear the team colors: orange and black. Yep, in this whole area it is pretty common to see folks decked out in Halloween colors no matter what the season (but especially Sept-Dec. for football season). We even have some friends who PURPOSELY painted their rec room that shade of orange, in homage to good old OSU. So just transport your house to Oregon and then you won’t have to paint that room at all. You will be perfectly in style.

30. Deb says:

I’m living your nightmare right now, but mine doesn’t look as neat and clean as yours does. I have two teenage sons constructing a new master bedroom closet(picture going from 9 feet of hanging space to 22 feet of hanging space!)AND a new bathroom. (The bathroom may wait till after Christmas though. I’ll live. Nothing like homeschooling to make your children think they can tackle ANYTHING! Seriously, these boys are committed! How did I get them? Anyway, the plaster dust has taken over the whole house and I have barrels of debris just waiting to be removed, too. I don’t do so well with disorder like this, all the furniture in other rooms and such. I am hoping in 3 more weeks it will be done. That’s kid time, not contractor time, mind you.

31. Cami says:

The orange is great in the picture, I am sure is different in person ……. LOVE the windows!!! Rapunzel Rapunzel! Fairy tale windows for the princess in your life

32. Haley says:

I am having a secret love affair with your windows. Are those the originals?

Chris says: Yes they are original to the house.

33. Janet says:

Oh Chris…..Don’t get me wrong. The windows are very attractive but all I can see are all of those little tiny corners. Cleaning those windows must be a BIG job!

Chris says: Cleaning them? Maybe one day I’ll do that and find out.

34. Stephanie says:

I covet your house…but not the work.

35. catherine says:

what a beautiful room! looks like it has lots of character : )

36. kellie says:

I love your renovation photos’ thank you so much for sharing.
    The Windows are to die for and the mantle as well…I can almost imagine what it must have been like when you viewed it before purchase, the excitement the potential…i love that part of home buying. Of course the paying sucks but hey…it is what it is.
    keep us posted. and dare I ask are there any more rooms left?

37. CathyC says:

This is your house??? where have you been hiding this room?! It’s gorgeous! The windows are awesome and so is the fireplace!!!!! And the color looks great on my computer screen. what room is this? You need to start taking all of your photos in this room, I insist (except the one of Miles as frat boy in the bathroom).

38. Rachel says:

That is a beautiful room, (potentially). Love the windows (like everyone else). I can’t wait to see the end result. You guys have good taste.

Please post pictures of the house when it’s all done. (Even if it makes people mad because you’re so rich and famous. *rolling eyes*).

I am having serious jealousy issues with your windows. Those are beautiful!