Hello there

Hello there

September 20, 2008

frog

I feel a lot like this frog lately. One minute just hopping around, happily living my life, the next thinking, “What the hell is going on?”

My 7yr old son found this little frog in our yard today. After loving him precariously close to death, the kids let him go. They hope to find him again another day.

Personally, based on the frog’s expression, I think he has smartened up.

Completely unrelated…

Mir is auctioning off a Wii at her site. All the money goes to her children’s school. Every single cent. So if you were thinking of buying a Wii and want to contribute to a good cause, go on over.

It is tax deductible. Maybe. I don’t know. I am not a CPA. But it sounds like it should be, right? Then again I thought I knew about building permits so you best consult some sort of professional rather than tell the IRS hey some woman said I could deduct this on her blog. But go on over and bid anyway. I would bid, but I already have one and let me tell you, they are so much fun.

In another unrelated segue…

Crazy Dad was given a warning that should he ever behave in that manner again he would be banned from the field, and all games whether home or away. Instead of facing the coaches and parents he dropped his son off to practice waaaaay before it started and left him there alone at the field. Then had someone else pick him up when practice was over. This caused one parent to ask, “Who is the pu$$ie now?”

Who indeed.

Comments

1. Bonna says:

I really hope his son has a positive male role model in his life, because his dad definitely is NOT THE ONE. His father sounds absolutely beastly. Imagine what this kid must be dealing with behind closed doors.

2. suburbancorrespondent says:

Hmmm….I seem to remember some Wii-inflicted eye injuries in your house…

3. kalisa says:

typically, when you give $$ to a charity and receive something in return, the deduction amount is the amount over & above what the gift is worth.

So, if you donate $500 and get a gift worth $200, you get to claim a $300 deduction.

I’m not a CPA either, but I worked for years at a national charity. I’m pretty sure that’s still how it works.

4. Clare says:

I feel sorry for his son. Children, in my experience, love having their parents watch them play, supporting them. I hope the father comes to realise, soon, the way his behaviour has affected his son.

Also, just a quik question about your archives. Will you bring back the months that are not there anymore?

5. Stephanie says:

I am laughing out loud at the last sentence.

Cute frog. We caught one of those as kids, but we lost him, and assumed he had escaped outside. He re-appeared six months later…in the basement laundry room- hopped out from under a pile of clothes. Surprise!

6. Stephanie says:

Did I say six months? I meant six weeks.

7. Mary says:

Hurray! I’m glad crazy dad won’t be there any more. I hate when the kids have to listen to that kind of talk.

8. Beth says:

Just FYI…you can probably receive a tax receipt for the amount given above the value of the Wii. If you receive something in return for your financial donation, it is usually not tax deductible. At least that’s the way it works in Canada, and I imagine in the US as well. Although I have been wrong before…not often, but it’s happened. Just ask my husband.

9. kate says:

Was the Parent that asked: “Who is the pu$$ie now?”, you?

I feel sorry for that kid having such an a-hole for a dad.

I would bid on the Wii but I just bought one!

Chris says: Oh God, no I wouldn’t say that. At least not OUT LOUD. At the field. Okay I would. But the other parent said it first.

Good for CrazyDad. Bad for his poor kid. What is he teaching that kid?

11. GrimRealityGirl says:

I’m glad the toad survived the love (when my son used to hug my daughter too hard she would yell out “TOO MUCH LOVE!!” — so your post brought me a happy memory!). Also — I’m really glad the Crazy Dad got the warning. Poor kid, I can’t imagine having someone like that as your dad….

12. Brigitte says:

That poor kid!

And poor froggy - my kid has loved many an amphibian (usually baby toads) nearly unto death as well. She’s getting better now about letting them go when they start to look tired.

13. Lisa says:

I’m also amazed and frustrated at some of the parents on my 9 yr old’s football team. They sit in the stands and bellow at the coaches, the kids, everybody. My husband is a coach and spends countless hours a week working with these people’s kids, planning practices, strategizing games, watching film, etc. Too be honest, most of these kids have no speed, no real athletic talent and ability, but they are loved and taught and encouraged by my husband and the other coaches. Sometimes during the games I want to scream profanities at these people myself, and remind them we are an instructional league, not a competitive one, that these coaches are donating their time and often their money to coach their kids and to either get off their a$$es and help or shut up. Wow, sorry for the rant…thanks for letting me vent. {:

14. Anna says:

Send Crazy Dad’s kid to me, I will hug him and love him and squeeze him and call him George.

15. PamS says:

Fabulous pantry in the previous entry by the way -
    Crazy Dad and parents like him should NEVER be allowed to get to this point. There are indicators about who will move from encouraging to embarassing. The hardest thing is finding a parent ‘in charge’ who is willing to address the situation (without feeling like they will be physically attacked).

It is better that he doesn’t show up for the kids practice - don’t you think? Maybe the kid, the coach, the team in general will have a better practice and a better time.

Parent living vicariously is a difficult thing to watch.

16. Katie in MA says:

Poor CrazyKid! I hope you guys are all cheering for him from the sidelines. Someone needs to show the poor thing how you’re supposed to show support (and steer him away from the tainted behavior he’s learning at home before it’s too late). Or would that make it worse and embarrass him? I am mom to wee little ones, so I don’t have to worry about this. Yet.

17. hi-d says:

Awww. Cute little frog! I feel bad that their are parents out there that are willing to subject their own kids and others to that side of life. Not good. These occasions should be fun for the kids. It’s hard enough being a kid these days… they don’t need crazy dads like that as well.
    I like your pantry too! It’s awesome.

18. Tracey in Calgary says:

Justice, ahhhhhh, I love it.

That poor kid…hopefully he will ‘overcome’ in his life. Hence the importance of great coaches.

19. Tammy and Parker says:

Our neighbor, enraged at the tackle his son missed, stormed out onto the field, picked his son up over his head and then threw him down. While his son was flat on his back, stunned, the father screamed, “HIT somebody, d*mnit!”

Ah, the grand example that was set that day.