Sweeeeeeet potato

Sweeeeeeet potato

September 25, 2008

Meet my latest obsession, the sweet potato.

Sweet Potatoes

And just in time because I have eaten myself sick of hummus, my previous obsession.

I used to only eat them at Thanksgiving, smothered with brown sugar and butter. So fattening and full of sugar that I would end up 20 pounds heavier and in a diabetic coma by the time I got up from the dining room table. Which is why I only made them once a year.

Comments

1. ashley.marie says:

So how do make them now??

I love to make sweet potato fries - baked in the oven after I slather them with olive oil and spices. Mmm!

Chris says: CLICK THE LINK! :-) I made sweet potato fries, just like you mention.

2. michele says:

Our family Loves sweet potatoes. We use them in place of regular baked potatoes often. Just some salt and pepper and butter- yum!! These are sliced, so how are you cooking them?

3. Amy says:

I love to make sweet potato french fries!
    They are so easy and really good.
    Slice thin like fries, spray pam on cookie sheet, lay potatos in a single layer.
    bake at about 400 until crispy.. We like them real crispy, so the last several seconds, I place them under the broiler
    yummy :)no other seasoning is required, they are that good!

4. Grace says:

I just LOVE sweet potatoes! A small, local steak place got me turned onto baked sweet potatoes. When the Hubs plans on throwing steaks on the grill, he puts his regular potato and my sweet potato on as well. I just eat it with the tiniest bit of butter. Melts in my mouth! Yum!

5. Yogamum says:

Baked sweet potatoes topped with black beans, hot sauce and cheese: one of my favorite lunches!!

6. Sus says:

Ohhhh. You pour the excess oil off(?!). I’ve tried to make homemade fries out of regular potatoes and sweet potatoes and they’ve always ended up limp and uh, kinda gross. Yours (I clicked the link) look crispy and awesome. Maybe I left in way too much oil or something. I will try it again. Do you need to soak these first like regular potatoes?(something my mom always did but I don’t know why).

7. Randall says:

YUM! I love sweet potatoes but I’m currently in the middle of my very own hummus fix (dipped with Stacy’s Simply Naked pita chips).

8. Theresa says:

Perfect timing - do you know what my grocery store has in the pre-washed veggie section (along with carrots, slaw, etc)? PRECUT SWEET POTATO FRIES! Now off to check the link - you’ve probably mentioned that in your post . . .

9. Pam says:

darn - ashley beat me to it… I have just discovered the love that is SPF. Add garlic, too, and … yum. Must go home and make some tonight…..

10. Hillary in KS says:

Ooooo! I love these.

We chop them up, put them in a pot, and pour just enough whipping cream on top to cover the potatoes. Then we boil until their easily pierced with a fork. Drain the potatoes, but save the cream. Whip the potatoes with a hand mixer, adding in the reserved cream until you get the consistency you like.

No sugar, no diabetes risk, but sweet enough! Yum!

11. Pam says:

crap. and I didn’t read your comment (or click the link) first. my stupidity knows no bounds today.

12. Angela says:

My contribution to Thanksgiving dinner each year is mashed sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes, milk, butter, vanilla, sugar, and marshmallows. And it counts as a vegetable, simply because one of the ingredients has the word “potato” in it. Genius.

13. rebecca says:

That photo has me in a serious SP craving! I can totally appreciate the obsesssion, as I am pregnant and one of my “must have” foods is the lovely sweet potato… also preferred smothered with brown sugar and butter. (It’s for the baby, you know.) Love reading your blog every day. It inspired me to do my own. :)

14. Melissa says:

Yummmmmmmmm. I make my Thanksgiving sweet potatoes with Southern Comfort, but the rest of the year I love sp fries. :)

15. Laura says:

I only know 2 ways of making sweet potatoes–the Thanksgiving way and the french fry way.

Will you share new recipes you discover? Thanks

16. suburbancorrespondent says:

Oven fries are the way to go!

17. Rebecca says:

Sweet potatoes are suppose to be the best veggie you can eat too! So if you have to fry them up - at least know there’s some good stuff left in them???? YUMMY goodness!

18. Annie@Cookies says:

LOVE THEM! I get these great frozen sweet potato fries so I can get my fix quick and easy!

19. An admirer says:

Sounds ‘lish…

20. Dddiva says:

These look really great, thanks for sharing.

21. chanelireli says:

Those are so yummy!!!

22. Lindsay says:

mmmmmmm. So good. I didn’t discover sweet potatoes until I was 18 at the Outback Steakhouse. De freakin licious. I am so excited for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

23. Stephanie says:

I was just going to tell you how to make sweet potato fries, but it seems you have mastered them already.

My aunt lives on the things, slathered in the “EVOO” and taco seasoning, dipped in lowfat ranch.

I have no other wisdom regarding the sweet potatoes.

24. Kathy in West Texas says:

I LOOOOOVEEEE Sweet Potato Pie! Oh man! I think it’s even better than Pumpkin Pie! Doesn’t seem as sweet to me.

Also, someone mentioned Stacy’s chips! Oh man! Those are the greatest, and I could easily OD on them!

Kathy in West Texas

25. Julie says:

Sweet potatoes are also good in a pork stir-fry. You probably need to pre-cook them slightly since stir-fry is cooked so quickly. Just the pork (I use thinly sliced breakfast chops cut into strips), the sweet potatoes, and some thinly sliced onion served over steamed rice. Very good!

Also…have any of you heard of the Sweet Potato Queens? They’re a group of crazy women based in Jackson, Mississippi. (I’m a Southern gal myself!). I think their website is http://www.sweetpotatoqueens.com.

26. BJ says:

Ever have curried sweet potato?? DELICIOUS!!!

27. Jacquie says:

Try this! It’s the best sweet potato recipe EVER– delicious and beautifully colorful.

Here is the recipe–

2 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in approx 3/4 inch pieces

Dressing:
    1/3 cup oil
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1 Tbsp ground cumin
    1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 ground pepper

Cook potatoes in water to cover until fork tender, approximately 15 min. Drain and place in a large bowl. While hot, add half of the dressing and toss to coat. Refridgerate, covered, to chill.

Before serving add vegetables and remaining dressing. Mix gently and then add toppers, if desired.

Vegetables:
    2 cups diced zucchini
    1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
    1 1/2 cups corn
    2/3 cup sliced scallions
    1/3 cup chopped cilantro

Toppers:
    6 slices crisp bacon, crumbled

Chris says: Sweet potatoes AND bacon? Hold me.

28. Beth says:

My friend gave me an awesome recipe for Sweet Potato Quesadillas–SO good. Grated sweet potatoes, chopped onion, olive oil, cumin, some chili powder—cook onions until tender, then add grated sweet potatoes and spices and put on a flour tortillas (or gluten free tortillas?) and grill w/ a little cheese. Serve w/ salsa and sour cream/non-fat yoghurt. I love this recipe!

Chris says: OMG that sounds so good….

29. kate says:

I am just about off my hummus obsession. it has been going strong all summer long. I love Sweet Potatoes any way!

30. Christy says:

I doesn’t get much better than chunky Sweet Potato Fries with a spicy Mayo dipping sauce. Yummy in the tummy!

31. Amy says:

I just bought some yesterday. (OK, I bought Bob Evans brand warm up in the microwave sweet potatoes. Maybe I’ll get the real ones next time!

32. Black Tie Optional says:

We just poke them with a fork, wrap them in foil and bake them for about an hour. When done, the skin just peels off and you have delicious side dish.

Yum!

33. Shelley says:

Oh, I love sweet potatoes. I don’t even use butter, I just throw one in the microwave for about 8 minutes, cut it open, sprinkle generously with pepper, and dig in. YUM.

34. Robyn says:

I’m so glad you reminded me of this awesome recipe that I keep a link to in my “favorites”: Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/bean_lovers/93761 I’ll be adding those ingredients to my grocery list!

35. Becky says:

Well, I thought I was the only one that could eat myself sick of a hummus obsession. What were you eating with the hummus? I was spreading it all over everything bagels from Costco. Couldn’t get enough of the stuff.

I cannot get hooked on sweet potatoes though. If I did, I only know how to make one thing with them, and that’s sweet potato souffle. I’d gain 50 pounds in no time!LOL

36. r grigg says:

i noticed a swap of sweet potato ideas - one of my all time favorite foods (hummus is on the list too). above is a link for a website that is perfect for the sweet potato novice or sweet potato amateur (Thanksy only sweet potato consumers).

BTW: love your blog - have just bookmarked it!

37. eko says:

OH, how I LONG for sweet potatoes - they don’t have them where I currently live!

My favorite way to prepare them (other than w/olive oil/sea salt - baked on high heat way…) is to prepare them like Potatoes Anna (?-think that is right) which usually uses regular ‘taters.

Slice them THIN (I am able to do it by hand, or use a mandoline slicer,) prepare a half cup (or more) of melted unsalted butter, - place the potatoes in a prepared pan (I have used a springform pan - lined with foil on the bottom -up to the ridge so butter doesn’t leak out) making a solid single layer (like your lining a pizza with pepperoni.)
    Brush atop the layer with butter, sprinkle lightly with salt/pepper and parmesan cheese - and continue on up. Bake in 325 oven until fork tender. Even people who hate sweet potatoes love this…

Sweet potatoes are one of the first things I fed my kids when they were ready for solids.

OH, and I’ll have to find my favorite sweet potato pie recipe for you!

38. tobi says:

I use sweet potatos in my vegetarian chili. I bake the sweet potatos first, then mash them and add them to the chili as it’s cooking. They cook down into the mix and make the chili richer and more robust (both in texture and flavor).

39. Linds says:

Roast them with onions peppers and butternut squash, and garlic, drizzled with olive oil. Perfection!

40. Laura says:

Personally, I like sweet potatoes with honey! You should try it!

41. Janet says:

My mother told me that when they would come in from school (back in the 30s) on a cold day, my grandmother would serve baked sweet potatoes (actually I think those skinnier ones are yams)as their after school snack. They would peel and eat them as if they were a banana. My kids loved them too.

42. MegsMum says:

I’m in New Zealand, we have “kumara” here - quite like your sweet potato. When I lived in the US for a couple of years, I found them very similar. We get red and golden kumara, one has more white flesh and the other is golden-orange and moister when cooked. A roast dinner here wouldn’t be complete without roast kumara alongside the roast potatoes. And last night we had fish and chips from our favourite take-away - there’s nothing like fresh fresh fish from our local waters with kumara chips (fries)!! Plus I didn’t have to cook them myself…

43. Kerrie says:

I have cooked with sweet potatoes for many years…was quite surprised by the Thanksgiving recipe used in the USA, they would be far too sweet for me I fear. We are having them wrapped in foil on the barbecue for dinner tonight with a side of Tasmanian Salmon and a salad.

They are excellent in curries, as a roast vegetable, a substitute for pumpkin and fabulous in soups. I make a roasted sweet potato & red lentil soup…roasting them beforehand really intensifies the flavour. I used to cook in a long daycare centre and the children just adored anything sweet potato…a sweet potato & zucchini sauce for pasta was a real favourite.

They are also surprisingly easy to grow in the garden, just plant an old one that has started to sprout, they multiply underground and are just divine and so fresh.

44. Anna says:

Sweet potatoes are on the list of foods I refuse to eat now that I’m an adult. I was admitted to the hospital this summer and one morning I was asleep when they came to get my dinner order. My mother decided I would not like the soup/sandwich option and ordered me the pork chop/sweet potato option. My plate went back to the kitchen untouched that night.

45. Paula says:

Just had to chime in- it has been awhile since I commented.

I love anything sweet potato! Here is my favorite

You can make a Sweet Potato hash:

Brown chopped celery, 1 clove of garlic, onion and at least a pound of smoked bacon (cubed) in 1tbs of butter and 1tbs of olive oil. remove from pan - add diced cubed raw sweet potato (pretty small dice so that it will cook evenly) and a little 1/2 cup chicken stock and a healthy dash of BOURBON - to deglace the pan. Pour another shot for yourself if it is after 5 pm… Cook the little nuggets of heaven until fork tender (do not OVER COOK under penalty of death) - put the celery onion and bacon back in the pan, mix well serve immediately (this recipe doesn’t hold- partly because I take huge spoonfuls out and shove them in my mouth..and it should look “hashy” not like mush… but I digress)…. serve with roast pork, roast chicken (even fried eggs for a Sunday Morning breakfast)

I save this for winter… don’t know why… but I could swear that I just saw a snowflake… so I am headed to Hannaford Supermarket…

Later skater… love the blog - you rock.

I do have another recipe for Sweet potatoes and bourbon… will dig around for it… must be a theme with me…must have at least 20 more recipes for the sweet “padayda”…

46. Nora Bee says:

I’m off to make yogamum’s recipe. MMMMMMMMMMM.

47. Pretty Jane says:

Truly an underestimated starchy tuber! I love the baked SP best, but the olive-oil-and-sea-salt-SP-fries-in-the-oven rock pretty hard, too. Not just for Thanksgiving anymore!! Yummmmmm.

48. Cheryl M. says:

Chris - I made your recipe for dinner tonight - most delicious!! There are NO leftovers! :( I’ll just have to make it again….very soon. :) Thanks.

49. Gina says:

Twice-baked Sweet Potatoes
    Bake potatoes, scoop them out and add neufchatel cheese, a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon. Fill the shells and top with chopped pecans. Put them back in the oven until the nuts are toasted. It’s like eating pumpkin pie!