No Space For This Milestone in the Baby Book

No Space For This Milestone in the Baby Book

September 29, 2008

Yesterday we were talking about Halloween and the kids were planning what they want to dress up as this year.

My oldest son casually says that he is too old for trick or treating. Which I guess he is. At 5′10 he kind of looms over the toddlers and small children. Last year he had said he was only going to see how happy his baby brother would be trick-or-treating. Something we both knew wasn’t entirely true.

But it was more the way he said it yesterday, like it was just completely matter of fact. I had thought he would have held on to this last vestige of childhood while I had to pry it away from him kicking and screaming.

“Will you come and walk around the neighborhood with us? You know to see the joy on your little brother’s face when he realizes he is getting free candy?”

“Uh, I think I will stay home. I can see the joy on his face when he comes home and shares his candy with me.”

So really I guess he has become the proverbial lazy teenager and realizes it will be less work for the candy to just come home to him.

Comments

1. SoMo says:

I guess this info comes with time, but really the best job on Halloween is handing out candy. You get to sit there with a huge bowl of candy and give one to the trick or treaters and give yourself 2. Of course, that is my job while hubby runs the neighborhood with our kids.

2. Lilly says:

So the nearly 6′ height and wanting to give up trick-or-treating coincide! Like you, I’ve been thinking that I might have to be the one to tell my growing son that the gig is up but I guess he’ll tell me in the next year or two. Then I’ll just have to go out with some ‘adopted’ kids because I LOVE watching all the kids run around and seeing the decorated houses.

3. Christine says:

Hey he gets to be the kid home passing out the candy now! In our house, if they don’t walk door to door with the rest of us they get stationed at the front door with the candy bowl.
    Hugs to you. I remember when my oldest just decided that he was too old and I tried to convince him to go anyway and trick or teating was over for him just like that and I was the one who wasn’t ready to let it go.

4. Candace says:

Oh boy - I know what you mean. My oldest has been transitioning from my little boy into this guy with a deep voice who is taller than I am. Sometimes I look at him and think, “Who are you and what have you done with my son?”

5. liz says:

He is obviously the Arthur Fonzarelli of your family.

6. Kerry says:

My oldest feels the same way. It’s so sad (if only because it means less free candy for me!).

7. Jeanette says:

I was just pondering how old is too old for trick-or-treating. My son is 9….I guess he has a few more years…??

8. Kilburina says:

Aaaaw. I remember the year I realised I was too old for trick or treating - it was after I’d been and I still blush a little when I think of it! How wise of your son to get out of it before that!

9. EG says:

I guess that makes him designated candy distributer when kids come to your house!

10. Jules says:

Lazy? That’s just genius.

11. Naomi in Ohio says:

Ours is VERY much too old, yet continues to want to go out and traverse the neighborhood. Wish he’d say he’d rather stay at home.

12. chanelireli says:

Look at the bright side, thats one less costume to make/buy.

13. lizinsumner says:

Oh no - don’t tell me he’s now going to become one of “THOSE” big brothers that constantly sneaks and pilfers from one’s trick-or-treat bag and easter basket…..I had one of those, and it SCARRED ME FOR LIFE! If not for ONE OF THOSE, I probably would not have any chocolate addiction today, at my advanced age of (never mind - not telling age). Suffice it to say, I blame any over-attachment to candy and/or chocolate on my older brother……

14. Karen says:

I think it’s time for him to start being in charge of handing out candy…

15. sus says:

He may find out that answering the door and oohing and ahhing over the costumes while handing out candy is more strenuous than walking the neighborhood with Miles;)

16. suburbancorrespondent says:

These oldest kids have it made - no work and they still get tons of candy!

17. Gwendolyn says:

LOL. My oldest still comes with us, because she loves watching the younger ones. She finally stopped trick-or-treating when she turned fourteen, because she remembered that when she was thirteen people were looking at her strangely. She looks like an adult, though…and has for years. Poor baby.

18. Fina says:

My 15 yo daughter still wants to trick or treat, but with her friends, not her family. I don’t really mind. I remember being way cool at that age also. The only real problem we seem to have is with what costumes look like these days. The term slutty comes to mind. Terrible what they make for these “kids” to wear these days. I can only hope she’ll choose to stay home this year.
    Fina/Sayville.

Now that is just funny!

20. Keyona says:

Wow, doesn’t that make you a teeny bit sad. I’ve noticed the more my little one grows up the more it physically pains me. They grow so fast.

21. Debbie says:

I started reading your blog and thought oh your son should go. I don’t think in our town has age limit. If the teenagers are having innocent fun let them trick or treat. But, when I got to the end of you blog about less work I got a good laugh!

22. Marianne says:

I think the year I turned 14 was the last time I trick-or-treated. Okay, except that one time in college. That’s different though.

23. Jeanne says:

Bittersweet. Although still sweet, with the candy and all.

When did he get to be 5′10″? Are you shrinking?

Chris says: I FEEL like I am shrinking, which is why I have to wear heels all the time.

24. jean says:

Oh no! How old is he? My son is 12 and I hope he isn’t thinking about quitting Halloween too. It was bad enough when he stopped believing in Santa, the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny. But free candy? I may cry.

25. Heather's Garden says:

There is nothing worse as a 5′8″ woman than looking up at the trick-or-treater as you hand him/her candy. I fully support your eldest’s decision to wise up and realize there are easier ways to get candy than begging strangers for it. But I do remember how sad I was when our boys got too old to go.

26. Mimi says:

He knows that HE gets to give out the candy at your house, right? There’s still some joy in that. That’s what we tell our big kids anyway! I think they really did get a kick out of it to be honest though.

Yepper, another milestone.

27. Dawn says:

No flies on that boy!

And I sure do home that expression means the same thing where you are as it does here. Otherwise, it sounds quite horrible.

28. Gina says:

Trick or Treating is too “baby”, until, they can go sans parent(s), in the company of friends, in the possession of a pillow case that will be filled, seams straining, with candy they didn’t have to spend their money on. Trust me, two teenage boys, been there, done that.

29. angela michelle says:

Yeah, my 13yo uses his littlest brother to justify his mature (!) self doing all sorts of things–playgrounds, bike rides, etc.

30. Rae says:

Yeah I have to echo that WoW! He’s 5′10??? Golly.

31. Brigitte says:

In early adulthood, I was still 5′, 100 pounds soaking wet, and flat-chested, and I have a teeny tiny voice. I figured I could just keep trick-or-treating forever, who was gonna know! So I kept doing it all through college, anyway.
    Now I look more like Jabba the Hutt and my hair is graying, I guess people would catch on, eh?

32. Hip Mom's Guide says:

Oh, I know this day is coming. It’s not so much that I care about trick-or-treating; it’s more about what this realization means. There are, for example, days that all I want are peace and quiet, but then I realize that one day all I will HAVE is peace and quiet. This just means we’re one step closer.

33. Mara says:

Eh, be glad he’s bowing out gracefully. As the person-handing-out-candy, nothing annoys me more than the porch-ful of hulking teenagers, old enough to drive from door to door if they wanted to, don’t even bother with a real costume… There comes a time when it is time to stop trick-or-treating, really.

34. Perfectly Disgraceful says:

I used to come home from college to take my nine-years-younger sister trick-or-treating. And it wasn’t even so that I would get a share of her candy, it was because I was desperate to wear an elaborate costume. My own ten-year-old girl spends much of the year planning her halloween costumes. Yes, plural. Last year she wore one to school, one for trick-or-treating and a third for a Halloween parade.

Halloween may be my favorite holiday, no in-laws or traveling involved, lots of make-up and costumes, and parties! What could be better?

35. Renee says:

I remember being “too old” for trick or treating, then in the end of my high school years, (along with my friends) loving it all over again.

36. Marie says:

We have a lot of teenagers who trick or treat in our neighborhood and some of them are a lot taller then I am :-) Certainly there are advantages to staying home — you get to pass out candy and see all the costumes — but it’s always sad when they grow up a little more each day and move on to other things.

37. genny says:

Found you through Owlhaven…glad I stopped by. Thanks for the laugh!

38. Katie in MA says:

Hey, look at the bright side - now you have someone to stay home and hand out the candy! I remember that being the height of cool when I was his age. I felt like such a grown-up. I was all, “Yep. This is my house. My candy. I’m so in charge.” To an audience of 5-year-olds.

39. Tracey says:

I actually feel so much better for having read this. My eldest son, who is 13, has already mentioned casually that he will not be trick or treating….too old, too big….it is actually ‘I’ who is hanging on with all her might to the last vestiges of childhood, thinking I could force him into ONE LAST YEAR. *sigh* Also happy to hear that all teenagers are lazy, I was starting to worry about him! ;-) At least I still have my wee nine year old…..six more years outta him at least!