Fried Green Tomatoes

Fried Green Tomatoes

October 9, 2008

This recipe makes me think of turning lemons into lemonade. Taking the green tomatoes that haven’t had time to turn red because OMG SUMMER IS OVER AND HOW DEPRESSING IS THAT and making them into something yummy.

Turning this:

DSC_0016

Into this:

DSC_0047_edited-1

Over at Work It, Mom! today.

Comments

1. suburbancorrespondent says:

Must be the right time of year for fried green tomatoes, I’m guessing - Derfwad Manor is featuring a similar recipe today! But how does one obtain the main ingredient if one does not have a garden?

2. Kathy says:

I LOVE fried green tomatoes. There are so many good places to eat them here in Alabama. Including my house! I make a remoulade-type sauce with them. Yum!

3. Sus says:

It is hard to photograph food and make it look appetizing. But oh, howIwanttoeatthat.

4. Katie in MA says:

Sigh. Now I have to go watch the movie and I just KNOW how I’m going to cry. For the record, I blame you. :)

5. Dddiva says:

I’ll be right over, I’ve always wanted to try these and they look really yummy… now do you use a dip or eat them straight up?

6. Julie says:

oooh, love fried green tomatoes! I was just talking about making them and seeing the photo has moved them to the top of the menu for tomorrow!

7. Christy says:

Crap. I’m drooling. Makes me want some catfish and cornbread to go with it.

8. Alpaca Farmgirl says:

Yum! I’m from Alabama too and ADORE these. I will drive 90+ miles out of my way for some good “fried green”. Kathy, I’m dying to try your remoulade!

Visit me at http://www.alpacafarmgirl.blogspot.com

9. Amy says:

Here’s how little I know my way around the kitchen — or the garden for that matter. I didn’t know that green tomatoes were unripe. I thought they were a particular type of tomato.

10. Bethany says:

My grandma (who is from the south, near St. Louis) made me fried green tomatoes as a kid. I loved them. They tasted rather like pickles to me. I hope your beautiful picture and recipe gets a lot of people to try them.

11. Janet says:

Okay, after reading your blog I decided to make some FGT. I found some at my local produce store……Here is where it gets funny….. When I checked out they charged me for green apples! I guess it would be fair to say that here in southern California FGT are basically unknown.

12. Daisy says:

My stepmom makes these in Missouri. I’m more likely to bring the tomatoes inside, let them ripen on the sill, and then add them to salads or soup or chili. But you know the tune — there are two things money can’t buy, true love and fried green tomatoes!