Autumn Day

Autumn Day

October 14, 2008

apples2

Do you think they got the silly faces and poses out of the way now before the annual Christmas card photo? Yeah, me neither.

Remember the photo from last year?

It's that time of year

What about the year before? I ended up having to mail out TWO photos that year since I couldn’t get everyone to co-operate for a single photo.

Oh the horror of being forced to sit on a stool and smile.

Or the year before…

or all the way back to the year 2000…

Happy Smiling Children

Yeah, not holding out much hope for this year either.

Comments

1. Keyona says:

I think it’s cute photo, funny face and all. On another note, where did you get her jacket. It is ADORABLE!

2. beth says:

I’m so relieved that I’m not the only one…just yesterday, my five ‘posed’ for a potentially great pumpkin shot. Of course, there was one unhappy face. As always….

We NEVER have a shot with everybody looking comfortable, much less happy. Maybe when they’re grown up????

3. Courtenay says:

god bless you, chris. it’s hard enough to get TWO kids to come out looking decent. i LOVE the photo from last year.

4. Stephanie says:

Yes, I need to know where that jacket is from too. Please spill.

Chris says: Sadly, it is from last year from Old Navy. But Target has similar coats this year. I just got my daughter a an adorable brown coat with a pink plaid lining there.

5. Monica says:

You are braver than I and I have 2 less kids. Mine would never still. Good luck this year!

6. Beth B. says:

That’s hilarious!! And - I agree with the poster above- that plaid jacket is darlingggg!!! WOW. what a cutie with the pigtails, the fancy jeans and that cute jacket. Thanks for sharing and good luck with this year’s photo!!

Beth (mommy to an ornery 5-year old)

7. Jen@OurDailyBigTop says:

Pretty funny and classic. We go through the same thing. My uncooperative child changes from one year to the next. I loved the ones from 2 years ago when my daughter decided she “knew” how take a photo - that meant overposing with a fake smile & head tilt.

8. dangitAnge says:

I think I started reading your blog right about the Christmas photo shoot 2005. ROTFLMHO all over again!

9. Lilly says:

Oh, my gosh, what cute pictures and kids. And doesn’t your number 4 son look a lot like Miles in the bottom photo? And in today’s photo, they all look adorable, even with the funny faces!

10. Amy says:

We have a great picture from when I was a kid sitting on Santa’s lap where I had a broken arm, my sister’s dress was riding up showing her undies and my little brother was sound asleep.

My dh is famous for swapping heads in Photoshop to get a good picture of everyone.

11. Crisanne says:

Oh that last photo! The sweets ones, the gleeful one, the madder than hell ones…

12. ashley says:

That last photo looks like your son in the blue shirt is dreaming of a day when photo shoots don’t involve crying siblings.

13. maria says:

I love this series of photos. Getting my two to look at the same time is hard enough. I love the second photo.

14. Rachel, Testosterhome says:

I got a lump in my throat watching them “grow up” so fast (seeing all the pictures there together). Makes me want to go squeeze my 15-month baby because I’m going to blink and he’ll be keeping up with his big brothers.

15. BeyondPanic says:

Oh my gosh, those pictures are so funny!

16. hi-d says:

What great photos!! I love it! They are just precious!!

17. Tranny Head says:

BWAHAHAHA.

And I remember reading that your son with the lovely longish blonde hair cut it off. But it’s so gorgeous in that photo. I’m jealous and wish my hair looked that good.

18. Tranny Head says:

PS - I’m pretty sure my hair is currently covered in a combination of snot and applesauce. Just thought I’d share.

19. Jamie AZ says:

I only have two boys and can’t seem to get both of them to look decent in a picture for cards! Yours last year was great and thanks for sharing the others, too, as they are just priceless!

20. kate says:

oh my goodness look at how little they all were. Amazing even a year ago they looked so much younger.

21. Bex says:

your pictures are so nice. what kind of camera do you have?

Chris says: Nikon D40x

22. Jaime says:

ITA with the other poster about your DS4 looking a lot like Miles in that photo… it is uncanny!
    Your kids are BEAUTIFUL Chris… and OMG your 2000 photo made me LOL

23. Bronnie says:

ohhh I absolutely love these photos!! I look forward to the Christmas group photos :D

aww I love the 2000 one, the little santa baby!

24. lizinsumner says:

Absolutely LOVE the last picture…..crying baby, totally angry-pouty kid, two kids looking at someone else on the side, one kid that couldn’t care less, and ONE kid smiling it up like a total ham……love it!!!! As for the first picture - are the oldest two boycotting all pictures??!! When my son was 2, he’d come running for any camera; now he’s almost fifteen, and too cool to have his picture taken…..oh, and before I forget - love the new kitchen cabinets, the counter tops, and the stove….(daughter is pretty cute, too!)!!

25. debbie says:

These were the best pictures yet! How funny trying to get them all to be perfect in a picture. These pictures are the true kids pictures. Kids being kids and having a fun time. You have cute kids with so many personalities we have heard about. Thanks for sharing your life with all of us!

26. Amanda says:

I think the 1st 2 photos are cute. The 3rd one cracks me up. All the dark haired kids in the back, blonde ones in the front.

27. Saucymomma says:

I think there should be a support group for mother’s around this time of year. The I’m-Gonna-Get-A-Freakin’-Photo-If-Takes-Us-All-Month group. Or the Stand-Still-And-Smile-Dammit Club. But, truth be told the cards I love the most are the ones that tell a story rather than the super posed my-mom-made-me-wear-this-get-up shots. Which is why I heart your blog. Your photos and words always brighten my day. Thanks for the daily stories!

28. canadacole says:

OMG! I’m so relieved that I’m not the only one! Last year we sent photo CD’s instead of gifts and I had a segment devoted just to all the times we TRIED to get a good family photo. They were all pretty horrendous.

29. EG says:

I LOVE the one from 2000. Hilarious.

This is why many of the photo card companies have wised up and have collage cards now.

PS - I think you may have lost 2 kids along the way somewhere. 2 big ones.

30. PamS says:

Yea! I came in to comment and found the answer to my camera question.

These … are … cracking … me … up!

31. Mir says:

AHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAA *wiping tears*

I do love screaming baby Santa girl. That’s a classic, right there.

32. SoMo says:

I am sorry, but that little screaming baby Santa in the last picture is hiliarous.

I say why go for perfection, go for real. I hear that reality is all the craze on TV these days, I say bring to the Christmas photo. Beside it makes for great guilt later in life. Oh, you think I am so mean, well look at all the trouble you put me through. BMWHAHAHAHA

33. Pam says:

These are absolutely beautiful pictures, much better than if they had been perfect. Thanks for sharing them.

34. Shannon says:

Those cards are absolutely priceless! Much better than the classic Norman Rockwell cards I always get.

35. Molly says:

I loved the retrospective. Thanks.

36. Lisa Lisa says:

In the year 2000 Christmas photo, you’re 4th son looks like Miles. I thought it was him. When my youngest daughter sees a old picture of my oldest she always thinks that it’s a picture of her :o) These are so adorable thanks for sharing.

37. jessica says:

Better get the egg nog ready. OMG I am dying over here. I am SMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thank the Lord that he only blessed me with one heathen, but I am tryinig to convince my son to marry a fertile young lady and have lots of children so I can take care of them every day LOL.. I need egg nog…

38. Kirstin says:

I am glad I am not the only one who can’t get all their kids to look pleasant and in the same direction at the same time. And I only have 3….good luck to us all in the attempt at another year’s christmas card.

39. twolittleducks says:

The photos are fantastic - very funny and so adorable. I agree with Lisa Lisa too - I thought it was Miles sitting there until I realised it couldn’t be!

40. carrien (she laughs at the days) says:

OMG I LOVE thee pic from 2000. That screaming Santa baby is priceless. :)

And I think if I were someone who got last years picture in the mail it would make my day.

41. Nextcommercial says:

I remember all but the last picture.

I love the one with your dd trying to throw herself out of her (very patient) brother’s arms.

I’m assuming he suddenly let go at some point, allowing her to be flung to the floor?

42. Ann says:

This sure brought back memories of many tortured photo shoots. And it was only 4 kids! I still laugh over “Stephanie your hair smells”–kids 1 and 2 tormenting kid 3. They also told her she would fall through the cracks in the deck. She survived and is now an emergency room nurse. I miss the photo shoots–not! but I miss the photos.

43. Marcea says:

HI

I had no idea that you have 7 children! For some reason I thought you had 3. Theyre beautiful! Love the photos especially the apple orchard.

Hope they feel better soon!

44. lee says:

Please, please, please post the outtakes of the holiday photo this year…

45. Lady M says:

Gorgeous children and hilarious pictures!

It puts it all in perspective, since I thought it was hard enough to get a good picture with one child last year that I’m apprehensive about two. At least it will make a good blog post! And there’s always photoshop.

46. Barb says:

I love the photos where someone’s crying or pouting or wriggling away. They’re the true keepers. (Deep down, I’m sure you agree. :-)

I love how in the last photo, the youngest one looks just like Miles, and the one who has his arms crossed looks just like your #5 child. Better label all your photos or the kids are going to argue over who is who in years to come. Except for your daughter, that is.

47. ewe_are_here says:

Wow. And I thought getting just two to smile for me at the same time was hard!

48. Honey Mommy says:

I just tried to take photos of my family… with a two year old. Bad idea.

49. ali says:

i think every family photo must have at least one child who is screaming/not looking/crying/pouting. ;)

50. Kate says:

Mine are always doing that. Their latest obsession is doing bunny ears on each other’s heads in pictures. Just precious.

51. Dawn says:

My favorite Christmas photo has the red snowflake sweaters–the little guy having a fit in the front is adorably mad! ‘Course he’s not mine! Thanks for the beautiful pictures and congratulations for seizing the moment–Carpe diem!