Audacity of Hope

Audacity of Hope

November 5, 2008

DSC_0011_edited-1

Did anyone else have kids who incredulously asked, “What do you mean there has never been a black man as a president?” A question that these children’s children will never have to ask.

The way our generation incredulously looks back on slavery, suffrage, equal rights.

Did anyone else have a daughter who asked, “What do you mean there hasn’t been a woman president?”

In time, dear, in time.

Thus concludes any and all political posts from me. Until I change my mind.

Excited

Comments

1. exile on mom street says:

With my son being 2, I have the satisfaction of knowing that the first President of the United States that he will be aware of is Barack Obama.

What a beautiful thing.

2. kate says:

It was an amazing night and I am so glad to be a part of it.

3. Annika says:

My husband and I both checked the instant we woke up. It was too good to last - but it did!

4. Elizabeth Harper says:

Lovely photo! I think I’m concluding my political posts too…well, at least for 76 days.

It’s a happy day!

5. aimee says:

It truly is amazing!

6. Kim says:

I love this photo! Love it! It is a happy happy day indeed. But it does feel a little surreal. Previous elections being what they were, I didn’t know what to expect. It is odd, I guess, to actually hear good news for once. I hope it is the beginning of more good news to come.

7. Debbie says:

It is funny how kids think the world has always been the way it is now… My cousin (in his 20s at the time) was shocked to learn that people actually SMOKED on an airplane!

8. Melissa says:

Yes. Yes, yes. Yes.

[We Can.]

9. Julie says:

I woke up this morning hoping that it was a bad dream.

10. Audrey says:

My daughter is 19-months old. I love that she will never know life with the question of whether there would be a black president. This is amazing. This is history.

11. leatitia says:

I’m amazed by the power of people. When they decide to get together and do something, they can sure kick some asses.

Great picture.

12. amber says:

love the photo.

i went to sleep listening to my neighborhood celebrate, and i woke up thrilled.

13. Ashley says:

aww. this made me get a little teary eyed

14. Annette says:

Unfortunately, Julie, I agree. All of the posts I have read this morning makes me wonder if he won BECAUSE he is black. I can honestly say, I didn’t think about his color for a moment during the election.

15. Kristie says:

Well, I realize that this puts me in the minority and might make me unpopular, but I respectfully say that I woke up this morning, HOPING I had imagined it.

16. Roxanne says:

My baby girls woke up at 6 a.m. this morning, and when I tucked them back in, my oldest daughter asked me if Obama won the election. She had been thinking about it all night, and she really wanted him to win.

Yes, I did go online this morning to make sure that the election results hadn’t changed overnight. What a historic day!

17. Kerrie says:

Congratulations all the way from Australia,,,

Thrilled for you , just thrilled…!!!

There’s a palpable feeling that the world is on the cusp of something so monumental and exciting.

I’m blown away by Obama’s win…have been anxiously watching coverage all day here and was worried, that when it came to the crunch that voters just couldn’t go with it, am so excited to see that people voted with their heads and hearts.

Last night at dinner my partner & I were discussing how monumental a day today was with our children (14 & 12)…they were excited too but found it hard to understand such racism that has gone before and why it would be out of the ordinary to elect a black President. Bless them.

May all of our children never know any different.

18. Sue @ My Party of 6 says:

I think it is amazing that my kids are growing up knowing that leaders don’t have to be white men.

19. Andrea says:

“Did anyone else think that they would wake up this morning and think they had imagined it?”

Yup, that would be me. And I’m not even American, I am just your Friendly Neighbour to the North!

20. Jamie AZ says:

My son, 7, bless him, came home from school on Monday and told us that he wanted us to vote for “the brown president.” He doesn’t even see someone as black, just brown. How cool is that?

21. Kimberly/Mom in the City says:

I was so happy to vote with my two little boys. (To them, it’s not a big deal that a Black man won…they just like saying his name…”Arack Obama”.

22. Andrea in IN says:

Love that picture you posted! :) My son is almost 8, and only recently announced to us that his best friend (who lives behind us) has a different color skin than him. I’m lucky to be a part of a generation helping to raise our kids in a time for hope, that we see each other as people, and not as a color first… Yes, we can.

23. Nancy says:

I just wish I agreed with his policies.

24. TL says:

My daughter and I just had the “Woman President” discussion.
    Pleast see my post
    Ms. President?

25. bgirl says:

Both my son and daughter were appalled that a woman had never been president. My 7 year old son patted my shoulder, “Sorry Mom.”

No worries, we got this one RIGHT. ;)

26. Sammie says:

I wish I would have recorded my three children 9,6, and 3 chanting Obama, Obama, last night as I was jumping around doing a happy dance in the middle of my living room….

Watching history unfold right before our eyes was priceless!

27. Stacey says:

I remember learning about prejudice and racial tension at a ridiculously old age…like maybe my freshman year of high school. What a disappointment! One of the most wonderful things about being a kid is being completely oblivious that anyone is different. Other kids are just kids too. I love the idea that maybe that attitude is finally beginning to stick into adulthood for so many people. Color and religion are not so important…it’s all about what kind of person you are. My mother voted for Obama, but still didn’t believe the country would vote for a black man. I’m so proud she was wrong! I love the idea that Obama will probably be the first president my kids really remember.

28. Keyona says:

I never dreamed I would be around to witness this type of history. I never thought it would come to be…but it is. It’s real. God Bless America!

29. kat says:

Sadly, at my house, we had to hear from grandparents that it wasn’t a positive thing that the vp nomination was a women. Absolutely negative… as she wasn’t the “right” kind of woman. I disagree with Obama on almost everything but I can see the joy from having our first african american president.
    God Bless America
    Kat

30. Alissa says:

it feels about the same as it did watching the men’s 4×100 meter relay during the olympics… GO USA!

31. Courtenay says:

what a beautiful, fabulous day for our country. and a victory for all of us. GOD BLESS AMERICA. we really came through this time.

32. allmycke says:

Congratulations from Sweden. Yes you could!

33. eko says:

I love that the U.S. can and did vote for an African American president - but very sad that it is this particular man. I will however support and pray for the administration unlike most have done these last eight years. “United we stand ~ divided…” well, you know the rest. :D

34. Dddiva says:

Great pic. Whatever anyone thinks of Barack Obama, the point is we (collectively, not necessarily you personally) have overwhelmingly made our choice and I hope everyone can get over their personal disappointments and focus on what is good and right for America and Americans.

35. Momma Chaos says:

LOVE the picture!! :)

I tagged you for a photo MeMe if you want to participate.. Head to my blog if so .. Back to lurking :)

36. Mom on the Run says:

The party I voted for I have never voted for before. I was not happy with my choices. I desperately wanted a woman president. I was sad when that did not happen. As a naturalized citizen I fervently believe that every citizen should vote. I wish there had been other choices.

I have issues with this election as I think the media wanted Obama to win. The media went out of their way not to talk about race in this election. I feel as though Obama got an easier ride to the WH than most candidates. Yes, he was the calmest and most concilatory candidate. Yes, his opponent was not above throwing out a barbed comment, or two. But, Obama was not scrutinized like other candidates. His association with Ayers was barely investigated, as was the Acorn voting scandal. I have to think that the media would not have spared John McCain’s skeletons in the closet.

37. c17wife says:

I hope you still love him when your taxes and energy prices soar through the roof. And when he begins to take away your free speech rights. And gives your hard earned cash to those that don’t bother to get up off their asses and go to work.
    Oh, and thanks for the big middle finger to those of us that have sacrificed for your freedom by serving in the military. Don’t ever again try to tell me you support the troops. Because that will be a big fat lie.
    And it sickens me that my children will all remember the day that America voted for a man based on his skin color and not his character.
    America as we all knew it died last night because of people like you. Now we get to be Europe west. Yippee!!! Or in the words of Barack’s friend and spiritual mentor Jeremiah Wright, God Damn America. Indeed!

Chris says: And this is precisely why I never talk about politics. I know many military and former military folks who voted for Obama so I am not going to even get into the debate of whether or not I support our troops.

38. pinkcamojeep says:

You know what amazes me? Why is Obama considered a “black” man? He is just as white as he is black. I think he should be referred to as our first bi-racial President, but I’ve only heard one or two people say this.
    I did not vote for Obama, but my two main reasons were not based on race at all. I truly look forward to our future and what is in store. with a Democratic Majority in the Congress, he will have absolutely no excuse for not following through on all of his promises for change. What an exciting day we live in. I pray God’s protection upon him while he is in office - and after.
    Really cool pic of your children!
    -pinkcamojeep

39. Carla says:

I’m sorry, c17wife, that you are so incredibly disappointed. That is the thing with elections. There can only be one winner. The “losing” side will inevitably be disappointed. I know I was…. 4 years ago, and 8 years before that.

Let’s hope that your negativity doesn’t pervade the entirety of your party, and that we, as Americans can come together to make the changes we so desperately need.

And for what’s it worth, I voted for Obama based on his character, not the color of his skin, as I am sure an overwhelming number of Americans did.

40. Truth says:

Obama is not black, at least not legally. Hes 50% white, 44% Arab, and 6% black. In the United States, one must be at least 12.5% of an ethnic group to claim ethnicity. So sorry, he’s not the first black president.

41. jody says:

LOL Julie!!! I am right there with you and Annette and most especially Mom on the Run.

I think time will tell if he truly has what it takes (Russia is already flexing its muscles this morning….anyone remember the Cuban Missle Crisis?), but for now, I can’t get Bill Ayers, Reverend Wright and more importantly, his deep association with Raila Odinga. You can read about Odinga online and it is very troubling.

Ah well. Just another day in paradise!

42. jody says:

Meant to say “but for now, I can’t get Bill Ayers, Reverend Wright and more importantly, his deep association with Raila Odinga out of my mind….

43. Kelly says:

I am new to the blogging world– just started my own and reading lots of mom blogs. Just wanted to say I enjoy yours and I am an official fan, so thanks!

44. lynne reed says:

I honestly don’t care what color Obama’s skin is. I just don’t care for his politics or his associations.

That being said there is nowhere else I would rather live and I thank God every day that we have the freedom to choose our president.

45. Hsin says:

We here halfway across the world are just plain relieved McCain and Palin didn’t make it. The US on the world stage is already in decline. Obama is definitely better placed than McCain to reverse that.

46. Reba says:

It will be interesting if he starts to say he can’t do what he’s promised to do.

I suppose my volunteering as a health care provider will have to cease and I’ll have to get a second job instead.

I’m not an Obama fan based on the issues, I’d vote for a pink and purple spotted person if he/she represented me best. It’ll be interesting to see how the next 4 years pan out.

48. kat says:

the first words out of my 10yo son’s mouth today were “did obama win?”

when i told him yes, & that obama will be our first black president he said “wooohoooo our guy won!!!” then “oh yeaaaaah. on the president thing i have they are all the same color. hmm. all boys too. hmm.”

just when i was about to burst with pride at what surely was the most deep thoughts a 10yo ever could have, he said “ok get out of bed now please, i’m so hungry that i feel vomity.”

49. Trish says:

We have heard for the past 8 years that if we do not agree with The Current Administration’s war policy that we do not support the troops. After 8 years, I STILL do not understand how wanting to get our American soldiers out of harms way somehow makes me the enemy? How does wanting hardworking men and women to be reunited with their waiting families make me unAmerican? My views on the war have NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING to do with the troops. They are doing their absolute best. I support giving the troops whatever they need to keep them safe and do their jobs while they are in Iraq. I just don’t think they should ever have been made to go there in the first place.

Trish

50. Cate says:

I didn’t vote for him, but I had tears in my eyes when I realized just what his win meant to my friends who are black. I was blown away.

I love what my sister said about it when she told me this morning, “I love the fact that my son will never think it unusual for a black man to be President.”

Amen.

51. Saucymomma says:

Last night was wonderful. Mostly because my children were as engaged as we were. Actually more so…when it became apparent how the night was going to end, I fell asleep. Around 11:30 pm, my eight year old son came in to tell me Obama had won and would be the next President. Since I couldn’t hear the news from Russert (oh how I miss him), hearing it from my oldest son was icing on the cake.

52. Tater Mama says:

Oh, CARLA, I am so glad you replied to c17wife’s comment. You said it far better than I could’ve.

53. Research Mama says:

I can appreciate the excitement that a black man was elected president for the first time, but it’s a darn shame that it was this particular black man. We could have done so much better than Obama.

Like, how about someone who doesn’t have a Marxist worldview as evidenced by his books and comments, someone who doesn’t have long-term radical associations with a racist, anti-American black liberation theologist (Wright), a crook (Rezko), and a domestic terrorist (Ayers), someone who does not want to “redistribute wealth” for the sake of “fairness,” someone who doesn’t want to “bankrupt the coal industry” and “skyrocket electricity prices” and the list goes on and on…

By the way, I come from a Communist country and actually know what Socialism/Communism/Marxism is.

54. Debbie says:

Yes we did. Speaking only for myself, his race had absolutely nothing to do with my vote. He offers us hope and a belief that this country can do better and be better. We can regain our standing in the world again, earn respect back from the nations we’ve scorned for the past 8 years. We can help all Americans succeed. We can make sure all kids are ready to start Kindergarten, and all students have a chance to attend college. And so much more. He inspired us, he called us, and he will continue to do so. I don’t even see him as being bi-racial, or black. I see him as being an amazing leader, and I’m so proud that we got it right this time, and I am excited to see where he’ll take us.

55. Stacy says:

I hope that we did not elect a man based on the color of his skin. In the same way I hope votes were not cast based on the gender of a candidate. I didn’t vote for Obama because I disagree with his positions on what I believe to be very important issues. However, as my candidate said, he is my president now.

56. Lindsay says:

Awesome pic Chris. We had a fun election night here too. The world was celebrating yesterday, for lots of reasons.

57. angela michelle says:

yeah, isn’t it all a great message for the kids? not just that he’s black but his overall message of hope and energy and enthusiasm. i feel like i can point to him as an example for the kids.

58. Rae says:

We almost never talked about his race until the election was over and then it sunk in! History!

And, as a response to those who question whether or not Barack Obama is black- it is extremely common for those of mixed race to identify as black, maybe because for so many years it was impossible for them to identify any other way- it was not allowed.

No one can deny, however, that he is a person of color. A wonderful, presidential person of color.

(Your daughter looks like a little president to be in that picture) :)

59. Laundry & Children says:

I worry that over the next 12 months there will be hearts breaking all over this nation as people discover that Barack Obama is just a man. He is being held up as something much higher and that is what worries me for our country.

60. Kim says:

Yes, the fact that he is the first president of color is historic and important, but those comments wondering if the country elected him because of his skin color are missing the point. Voters responded to his campaign based on hope, change, and a positive outlook. He is respectful. He is classy. In representing us to the world, he will most definitely project a positive vibe. His policies will actually help Americans. There may have been a day when McCain was just as respectful and just as classy, but the minute he let the machine run his campaign, he lost my respect. He sold out. I never would have voted for him anyway (issues and all) but I used to think he was an upstanding guy.

It is possible to celebrate both things simultaneously: the election of a man who promises to make our lives better after 8 years of DECLINE and the ability of our country to take a step toward racial equality. (Just because we have a president of color does not mean that a person of color has it easy in America…)

61. Liz says:

Research Mama, you said it perfectly. We are in BIG trouble. It will be interesting to see if all of the people who voted for this man are happy with his performance in 4 years. I have a feeling you won’t be.

62. Tammy H. says:

Do you know what I pray? That I’m wrong. That Obama will be a good president, and our coutry will soar to new heights. Do you know what I fear? That I’m right.

63. Karin says:

I have to tell you once again Chris, you have the most beautiful children.

64. Yan says:

Chris, this is your blog and you should be able to post about whatever you feel! People will always agree and disagree with anything that is opion based and hopefully they will respect your forum even if they disagree with you views.

I can’t tell you how excited I am that Barack Obama is president. I would hope that America did not come out en-masse and vote for him because he is black, but because they truly agreed with his positions and policies. The fact that he is black (and have you ever seen what his father looked like- a man from Kenya, not an Arab or person of Middle eastern descent) and that American’s could look past this fact based on our history was just the icing on the cake. As a black woman I am exceedingly proud that he was the best man for the job at this time and we ALL could see that- whites, latinos, asian-american, jews, african-americans. It truly is a great day in history. He didn’t get the job because he was black, he got the job despite of the fact that he was!

65. Jeanette says:

I wish I WAS just imagining it.

I’ll try to imagine this country four years from now and hope it is better…but I doubt it.

66. liz says:

Now I’m weeping again. I am so happy.

67. Carol says:

I’m a little puzzled by the idea that the U.S will now be in BIG trouble now that Obama is the President. Have the past eight years suddenly been forgotten about? You’re already in BIG trouble.

68. MamaGeph says:

I am praying that he will surprise me.

69. Renee says:

What a sad day for America when the majority vote against life, capitalism, freedom and the Constitution.

70. Gayle says:

Good grief! Naysayers are coming out of the woodwork.

President-elect Obama (I love to say that!) has his work cut out for him, what with the mess the current administration has made, but he will do just fine.

He is a good, decent man.
    Just remember, all you McCain supporters, your man said so.

71. kelly says:

If you have a good (sometimes immature) sense of humor, you should definitely check out the newest episode of South Park. It is called “About Last Night” and is about these post-election days we are in.

72. Kathleen says:

I have to chime in….this is the FIRST election where I felt like I had a choice….not just a chance to pick the lesser of two evils. I respect McCain and was rooting for him in the primaries but in the end I agreed more with Obama on the issues and I am now swept up with a pride and joy that I didn’t expect.

73. Lynn says:

Blaming the current administration for all of our problems is taking such a narrow view of the issues facing us. The blame must be allocated between both parties as both have done their fair share to contribute to our current situation. While I also hope that I will be pleasantly surprised over the next four years, I also hope that I am realistic enough to accept the fact that like President Bush, President-elect Obama, will be confronted by issues and situtations/complications that no one can forsee at this time. Chris, I understand why you don’t post about politics often, especially after reading the comments. I don’t discuss politics - not even with my twin.

74. Sarah says:

My kids are so happy. All that envelope stuffing. Those doors we knocked on. The snacks they scarfed while I made call after call to GOTV…

YES WE DID!

75. Tania says:

Gorgeous photo Chris! My kids were so excited too. It is such an atmosphere of hope.

I’m constantly amazed at the misinformation and downright lies that have been spread during the campaign though…

I guess the bitter and twisted people that posted here should take a cue from McCain’s very generous speech. Perhaps they could also read some of the good quality US and international newspapers online because they obviously aren’t getting the facts from their regional media. Then they might realise the HUGE problems that Bush Jr has caused not only in the US but across the globe. Issues from the financial crisis to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Military families should be thrilled that their sons/fathers/brothers/boyfriends can come home and will not have to do repeat tours of duties in those wars too. If it wasn’t for Bush Jr and his administration then perhaps the very worthy McCain might have been elected.

So look closer to home for who to blame - Obama is not the enemy. I do not envy him though with the almost insurmountable job he has in front of him to clean up the mess from the last 8 years.

Tania,
    Did you forget to mention the women that our fighting for our freedoms abroad as well? Talk about the spread of misinformation.

I hope that the President-Elect proves some of us and our ominous forebodings wrong. Though I did not agree with all of President Bush’s (please be respectful, he is still OUR President, just as President-Elect Obama will soon be OUR President) policies or decisions, he did have a full plate to deal with as soon as he stepped into office, too.

And, really, calling people with different political views than your own “bitter” or “twisted” sounds much like the pot calling the kettle black. I thought differing opinions and views are what make America great. And as we all have different viewpoints what should unite us is the freedom to express those views. We both have freedom of expression, Republicans and Democrats, Conservatives and Liberals. Name calling really is not necessary.

77. PollyS says:

I’ll be the devil’s advocate here. Has everyone forgotten that Obama was raised by his WHITE grandmother? And that he is 1/2 white? His black father ran out on the family when he was very young. It just seems strange to me that he touting himself and being touted by all as being BLACK, AFRICAN AMERICAN, etc. But he is just as white (or more because of his upbringing) as he is black.
    So strange to me that his race is the reason many people love him. I say look at his character, what he is REALLY saying, what he has done, and who he hangs out with. And that is what the country should have voted on.
    And before you call me a white, black hating, Republican…I am a Libertarian. I use the constitution as my guide.
    And MamaGeph, I couldn’t agree more! Me too.
    “I am praying that he will surprise me.”

78. Nancy says:

Thank you Susan, you responded to Tania with way more grace than I could have!

79. Barbara says:

I must say, for a man that claims he wants to unite us and who says he wants to earn the respect of those that did not vote for him, he certainly doesn’t seem to be doing so when chosing his cabinet! Chosing representatives from as far left as you can get is not uniting in the very least!!

80. ali says:

their picture is way better than Joaquin’s.
    heh.

81. Chicago Condo for Sale says:

I think everyone should relax. We all have different views about politics and all, but sometimes “our” judgments get the best of us. McCain is not a bad guy nor is Obama. I think because people and the media talked about “certain issues”, we got tense and started to pick and choose. I think this election got the best of all of us. It’s historic, but it also brought back the history. Normally, the rule is you don’t talk about politics and religion, but I have to admit, this election triggered a whole lot of inner feelings to come out. I have seen friends go their separate ways and it makes me sad. I wish best for Obama as well as McCain. I liked McCain in 2000. He was a Maverick. I just think his campaigning sort of hurt him. McCain had a chance to win. I wish him the best because when I watched his concession speech, I didn’t see a republican, I saw a man, whose dreams were cut short in his final try. I was at Grant Park when Obama spoke. It was moving, but the thing that moved me were the people around me. It’s tough right now and looking around, I didn’t see democrats or republicans, I saw “PEOPLE” with tears for making history as well as hope for a better future that Obama has campaigned about.

82. Jana says:

Great picture!! But I am continually dumbfounded why so many Republicans, who claim to love, honor and obey the constitution, as well as THEIR country, refuse to accept the fact that the majority of the people in THIS country, found Obama to be our best choice. And let’s not forget, our military men and women have been fighting for over 200 years in order to protect our freedom of choice. So he’s not who you voted for, get over it. Majority wins, it’s OUR way–why can’t we simply agree to disagree, and leave the bitterness and hatred out of it?

83. Jeanette says:

Hope Obama spends more time on the job in the Oval Office than he did in the Senate.

Why is it people are so dismissive of his associations? If Mccain went to a church for 20 YEARS where the preacher spewed hatred of COLORED people….oh my. It would be on every news station and newspaper. But let’s give Obama a free ride.

No wonder Iran is happy he was elected. Now they have someone to “talk things over” with.

84. t in hd says:

I’m just thrilled America has come far enough to be able to look beyond/disregard a man’s race when voting for their president. And I am excited to see a young man in the WH again. These two things can’t help but to give me hope.

What do I predict for the next four years with Obama in the WH? Well, that is where I become more cautious. As one commenter said, he is only a man. I am cautiously excited to see what the next four years bring. Cautiously.

I’ll add that, living as an expat for so many years, it’s very interesting to see how the rest of the world view Americans and American politics vs. how Americans view themselves and their politics. Honestly, it blows me away how powerful the conservative and (especially) religious right still are in America. Living nearly half of my life abroad has certainly given me an interesting perspective on it all…..

85. John says:

Let’s see what Obama will bring to us. I trust his insight and I am very confident he will take this country into a new era. I am so excited.

86. Barbara says:

I can accept the fact, but like the left wingers and some Democrats did for the past 8 years, I am going to complain. And it is my right to be disgruntled. I am truly curious. What is this “change” that I have heard so much about during the election actually going to be? Does anyone know what Obama plans on changing-specifically? If you have any idea how to decipher and read between the lines of his inciting rhertoric, I need specifics. And once I have them, it will be interesting to see if he actually does what he says. So far in our Illinois Senate he has done the opposite of what he has said, if he has actually ever said anything at all.
    I can’t chant “yes we can” until I know what we are chanting for. There, I ended a sentence with a dangling participle. I feel vindicated now…

87. Carol says:

Obama faces a monumental task. I do hope that people will have the patience and good sense to realise that he will no doubt make mistakes along the way. He’s walking in to one hell of a mess. I for one, will be very pleased to see the back of Bush Jnr.

88. goodsandwich says:

I can’t believe you actually wrote a post anywhere near politics! :)

89. amy says:

Love this picture! I have read the comments and find it strange that some have said he won because he was African American. Nothing could be further from the truth. He won despite his race. The facts are easily available from pollsters who have analyzed this election from every possible angle. If Obama had been white, he would have won by an enormous landslide. There were many people who simply would not vote for him BECAUSE he was black. Great Presidents have often found themselves at the exact juxtaposition of crisis, but they have managed to rise up and make a difference due to a unique combination of brains, courage and empathy. We need a great president now. I believe that Barack Obama has what it takes. Time will tell. In any event, we are certainly better off with him at our helm than the other candidate. I think the naysayers need to take a chill pill. In addition there were many distinguished military people black and white who voted for Obama so I think C17wife should step back before she accuses anyone among the millions of voters of lying about their support of the military. Just because we want the war to end does not mean that we are against our military. Things are really not that black and white (excuse the pun).

90. Reena says:

I beg to differ. I think John McCain would have been a great leader for this country. He certainly has more experience and has proven his “Country First” motto throughout his distinguished career. Actually I think there was a variety of voters out there that voted for different reasons. Some voted for how they saw the candidates as a whole, some based on race (either for or against), some just saw their vote as against the current administration, etc.

I also am tired of being told to like it or lump it or take a chill pill. All I have heard is disdain, moaning and complaining about George W. Bush over the past eight years (some of it justified) and I have endured and not even dared to post a comment. Now, when I dare to disagree with your canidate, I am told essentially to shut up? I think not!

I will respect Obama as our next President because of my love of this country, not because I see eye to eye with him on all major issues. Yes, I am one of those that took numerous polls/surveys during the election and though I did not know who said what I did not agree with one thing that Obama said or stood for.

Finally, I am tired of being told how openminded Democrats/Left wingers, _________ (insert whatever term or affiliation you like) are. It seems to me that you are only openminded and loving to those that share your enthusiasm over identical views as your own. So much for Democracy and the American spirit….

91. Daisy says:

I love your kids’ version of the fist bump!