T-Minus Two Days

T-Minus Two Days

November 26, 2008

Normally I would be elbow deep in planning side dishes, defrosting my turkey (IN THE REFRIGERATOR!), and cleaning my house. I would be worrying about the dining table centerpiece and keeping the kids occupied while I cooked.

But this year I am going to be in Chicago on Thanksgiving Day and therefore I am not going to be doing any entertaining or cooking. Go me! I probably shouldn’t be as excited as I am. But I really am looking forward to seeing the Turkey Talk-Line in action on the busiest day of the year. Sort of like being at Santa’s workshop on Christmas Eve.

My husband is planning on preparing a scaled down Thanksgiving dinner, I suppose as scaled down as a dinner for 9 people is, so that when I arrive home Thanksgiving night we can all eat together.

I am, however, elbow deep in pie baking. Only one pie thus far is for us. The one that caught on fire when Miles turned the oven to BROIL. I scraped the burned top off and it should be fine. Nothing but the best for my family! Oh, I am kidding. But after baking 14 other pies to sell, I am not about to bake another pie.

First I learned how to make a perfect turkey. Now I have turned into Betty Crocker. I hardly recognize myself.

Stay tuned for my live post from the Talk-Line on Thanksgiving Day. I am bringing my camera.

Comments

1. Kerry says:

Should we not defrost the turkey in the refrigerator? What did I miss!?!?

Chris says: No you SHOULD defrost in the refrigerator!

2. shonda says:

I love that your “scaled” down is just 9 people. AWESOME!

3. Christy says:

So are you going to post your step by step instructions on preparing a perfect bird? Or do we actually have join in on Thanksgiving day?

4. Andrea in IN says:

I got myself a Butterball 20 lb fresh one in your honor. Now, if I can just cross my fingers tight enough that it roasts in time for when my dinner guests arrive, it’ll be perfect!

5. Gretchen says:

I am looking forward to hearing stories from your day on the Talk Line. I have only made one turkey in my life, but it did turn out ok. (My mom and my sister were my talk line LOL). I’m sure you will get some pretty funny calls along with the usual questions. I can’t wait to hear about it!

6. Nancy R says:

Chocolate pie is the hands-down favorite pie at our house. Bake a pie shell, let it cool, fill that sucker with instant chocolate pudding and regrigerate for a while. Top with whipped cream, unless you’re like my husband and believe whipped cream ruins everything.

Not very Martha, but my 10-year old can do it for me!

7. Barb says:

So exciting. I almost (ALMOST) wish I was baking a turkey so that I could call to chat.

8. kelly says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours…and to all of your readers and theirs!!!

9. kn. says:

A co-talk-liner, perhaps?

10. Sue @ My Party of 6 says:

OMG - now I am freaked out about my defrosting turkey in the refrigerator. Have a great trip! Can’t wait to see pictures (if I haven’t died from food poisoning!).

11. Finn Reeds says:

I made my very first pie ever today! Dutch Apple Crumb that nearly caught on fire in the oven and is basically Dutch Apple Charcoal now… was Miles messing with my oven also? We’ll be scraping the top off tomorrow and giving thanks that at least I came away with a good “the first time I made a pie” story.

12. t in hd says:

LOL, if we tried to defrost our turkey in the fridge, we’d have to empty it out and pull out all the shelves. No German (European, for that matter) fridge could accomodate a decent-sized turkey and ours needs to feed nine. We always put ours to thaw in the bath the day before.

13. Sue @ My Party of 6 says:

I mis-read your comment to Kerry. Refrigerator = good. Whew.