Caught in the Ornament

Caught in the Ornament

December 23, 2008

DSC_0081_edited-1

Yesterday I began AND FINISHED my Christmas shopping. There is something very freeing in waiting until the last minute. You know it has to be done. No running back to buy just one more thing. No second guessing. No trying to even out the piles.

We had one thing to buy today for one kid. Rob ran into the sporting goods store to buy it while I ran into a different store to buy something for Rob’s mother. I’ll admit that I felt a little bad buying her a present on 75% off clearance.

As we walked through the store really quickly, me dragging Miles who was jogging along side me. “Why are we walking so FAST, mommy?” Miles asked.

“Oh honey,” I answered, “This is called power shopping.”

We also did power baking. You can read about that over at Work It, Mom! later on today. now.

Comments

1. Haley says:

Very cool picture! There is something liberating in last minute shopping. I’ve been very bored these first few days of winter break in knowing that I really have no one left to buy for. So, I bought about thirty dollars in presents for my parents’ dog. She loves me the most, I just know it. :)

2. Ani says:

You did it! Congratulations.

Hope the rest of the holiday is peaceful.

3. Rae says:

Oh- I could totally go for some of your power baking right now. I bet it’s awesome. Merry Christmas, Chris!

4. Sherry says:

You know, you’ve got a point there. I was stressed out because we only started our shopping last week, and then we only bought a few of the things we needed. We did most of it on Saturday and today. I still have to get stocking stuffers tomorrow but I did that last year and I was in and out of the store in 25 minutes flat.

It’s very stressful to worry about fitting it all in, but it’s kind of an adrenaline rush in the end, yes?

Merry Christmas!

5. Anna says:

Never feel badly for getting a deal on something you totally would have paid full price for! Mir will be so proud! :)

Merry Christmas

6. Lucy says:

Love the photo of your family in the ornament. You capture things of beauty so well. It is magical! Merry Christmas to you and your beautiful family!

7. Amanda says:

I thought the whole point of waiting until last minute was to get gifts 75% off. Otherwise, what’s the point in being out in those crowds?

8. Jessica says:

LOLOLOL Poor Miles… I remember doing that with Bryant, omg it was hilarious…

9. EG says:

Hey, remember when you had a blog about not buying stuff for a year? Then you stopped posting to it because it was boring to say, “Today, I didn’t buy anything again,” so I un-bookmarked it and have no recollection of where it was? I’d be interested in hearing a wrap-up of how that went.

On shopping late, I’m wondering if I can convince my kid(s) that GRANDPARENT Christmas happens on the 25th but MOMMY & DADDY Christmas doesn’t happen until the 30th, so I can take advantage of the after-Christmas sales.

10. carrie in texas says:

that is an awesome picture!