The Day After

The Day After

December 26, 2008

The cupcake maker was tops on my daughter’s Christmas list this year. Well, along with Glitter Lava. It seemed like such a ridiculous thing. For months she kept talking about it. Going on and on about how much she wanted it.

I remember when I was her age, and for a few years afterward, I wanted the Sunshine Family. A family of dolls that had a Mon, Dad, Brother and Sister. I am not sure why exactly I was so hung up on this particular doll family, but I was. I asked for them for every single holiday. And I never got them. Not that I am still bitter and harboring a grudge or anything…

DSC_0140_edited-1

What exactly is a cupcake maker, you might ask?

It is a device that allows you to make ONE cupcake at a time. And then individually decorate it. It is like the complete opposite of my life in bulk.

DSC_0166_edited-1

Basically, it turns a simple 10 second job into an elaborate, gadget filled project that makes a mess as far as the eye can see.

CUPCAKE-MAKER

But it made my daughter oh-so-very-happy to spend hours (LITERALLY) individually making cupcakes for her brothers. Saving the grande finale, a sprinkle covered one for herself.

Hoping all of your wishes came true this holiday too. And if they didn’t, maybe you should get yourself a Cupcake Maker. Everything is better with frosting.

Comments

1. annette says:

…which is EXACTLY why my 4 year old got the Martian Maker. And, why each my 4 and 5 year old got Pixels. My kitchen table looks very similar to yours, exept we don’t get to eat the projects. BUT, my kids think I am the most awesome mom ever. At least for the next day or two. And, I have avoided the long term treauma of not getting what they REALLY wanted! Thank you televison advertising :)!

2. Karly says:

My daughter was so excited when she opened her cupcake maker too. But, I’ve currently got it hidden behind all the other, less messy toys. I just don’t think I’m ready for the cupcake maker to be taken out of the box.

3. Sasha says:

I’ve never seen that before. My daughters would DIE for that. lol

4. Gem says:

That is so funny, my 7 year old asked for the exact same thing. I had the exact same response but she got it anyway, for those exact reasons and we spent today doing exactly that on the other side of the Atlantic! My photos are not as good, has to be said my daughter’s cupcakes are not as good either, but she is just as cute!

5. Mindy says:

That is awesome. I’m trying to let me kids just be kids and we’ll clean up the mess later. I love that you keep it real. Merry Christmas.

6. Jo says:

Your kids are so lucky that you have mastered the principle of great gift giving! Happy childhood memories here in the making.

7. slynnro says:

I kind of want a cupcake maker!

8. Jenni says:

My step-daughter wanted that too. But I read too many mixed reviews about the taste of the cupcakes.

9. Cami says:

you can still find the Sunshine Family on ebay, I still, luckily, have mine …… there were even grandparents to go with it … but I didn’t get those …

10. Anna says:

Nice…my four year old begged me for that same cupcake maker. I guess I’m a big meanie, because I didn’t get it for him…he got plenty of other stuff of course, but now I’m wishing I had…those cupcakes look yummy.

11. Shalini says:

we got the 3 year old the Play-doh Ice cream shop..It’s so cruel she can’t eat her creations… but yeah the cupcake creator… I think the mess would make us crazy!

12. Kim says:

My just turned 6 year old really wanted this for her (Dec) birthday. She saw it in a wish book and carried the book around for like 2 weeks. And I cringed with every bad review I read, but would have bought it for her — on sale. But then we went to the book store one day and she saw this Cutie Cupcake Baker set that came with a real mini cupcake tin and a real icing decorator with different decorator tips. I was able to push her over to that toy when I mentioned she could make 6 cupcakes at a time instead of 1, and she could use real cake mixes, just like I’ve used. And she was sold! We spent an hour tonight making little mini-cupcakes, but she had the best time and felt so grown up!

13. Betty and Boo's Mommy says:

My 7-year old received this as a birthday present (end of Nov.) and let’s just say I was less than thrilled. We’ve made cupcakes sans-maker plenty of times, and you’re right, this turns that process into one that is much longer than it needs to be. Betty loved it, and it’s been used exactly once so maybe it will soon be forgotten. One can hope ….

14. Sadie says:

After experiencing the world of the cotton candy maker, the smores maker, and the Baskin Robbins ice cream maker… I have vowed to not buy anymore of these kid-focused cooking gadgets. I’m still working on trying to avoid the craft kits with the tons of small doodads, but I don’t think I’m getting off the hook THAt easy yet, LOL!

15. Tracy says:

Hang on - she spent HOURS doing this? I may need one then, regardless of the mess!

16. jody says:

LOL! I am so NOT showing this to Mia. She would totally want one.

Loads of my wishes came true. I even got things I never knew I always wanted! It was fab and all that.

Hugs and Merry Christmas to you all.

That looks like a fun mess, though.
    My 3 yr old son wanted one of those for Christmas. He had to settle for me and him with a box of cake mix and a tub of frosting.

18. suburbancorrespondent says:

Oh, my goodness, you should get together with mrs g over at Derfwad Manor (www.derfwadmanor.blogspot.com) - she wrote about yearning for the Sunshine family also! Maybe it was an only child thing…

19. Gigi says:

Read this post from Mrs. G on Derfwad Manor. You two have a lot in common!

20. Lucinda says:

You are a better mom than I. I could not handle that mess. But your daughter definitely looks like she is in heaven.

21. Amy says:

Don’t want to make you jealous or anything, but I DID get the Sunshine Family — and their house when I was little. Glad your daughter enjoyed the cupcake maker and equally glad that my daughter is too old to ask for one.

22. CynthiaK says:

Shows what I know. What ever happened to Easy Bake Ovens?! I guess I’d better get with the program. I’m sure my eldest would love that thing!

23. Kerry says:

My poor kid wanted the cupcake maker but got a mixing bowl, spatula, frosting, and sprinkles instead. She has been going nuts in the kitchen making and decorating cookies.

Thank you so much for that last photo…it reaffirms that we made the right decision, even if it scars her for life! :)

24. Dianna says:

Everything IS better with frosting! Hope you’re all enjoying the cupcakes…and the mess that comes along!

25. Joy says:

I sooooo remember the Sunshine family! I begged and begged and got them and the camper! I think they were the hippie Barbies!!! LOL
    I am so glad I have four boys. No messy food makers, mo makeups kits, etc…..
    I hope your Christmas was wonderful.
    Joy

26. Monique says:

You did get the Sunshine Family!
    You have it..bigger and better than the one of your dreams~

Cute pics again..:)

27. Tammy H. says:

I have three girls. One got the cupcake maker and one got an easy bake oven. YES - that’s right. I have them both going on my kitchen table at the same time!!!! We also have pixos and a nail salon that sprays glitter……… I know my house is under here somewhere……..

28. Angie says:

I had a sunshine family, and several sets of the black version, the happy family. I completely get why you wanted them. I’m sorry you never go them. I remember wanting this music stick thing every year, and never getting them. You are such a good mommy getting your daughter the impractical cupcake maker.

29. SoMo says:

I would like to know your daughter’s secret. Our cupcakes didn’t come out as nice or as tasty. Today, we try with real cake mix and icing. I am thinking I won’t make to see tomorrow.

30. Kathy in West Texas says:

A Cupcake Maker? WOW! That is something new! I remember when I was little (in the 60’s and 70’s) and I just HAD to have an Easy Bake Oven! I can’t believe those are still popular, too! Sometimes those got kinda messy tho!

That’s a neat gift!

31. Deb from NY says:

The Sunshine Family. I had them. I loved them. You just reminded me of them. Wow.

32. Stephanie says:

We got the cupcake maker at our house, too! Although we haven’t opened it yet (the Wii has taken precedence), I’m looking forward to having a cupcake! But not looking forward to the mess…

I had the Sunshine Family! I always wanted Barbie, but my parents always bought Sunshine Family stuff…they had a dog too! I played dollhouse for hours with them. This Christmas, my almost four-year-old got her first dollhouse and she has played with it almost non-stop.

34. clarkie300 says:

Wow that looks awesome, I’ve never seen one of those, I just remember those little holly hobby ovens or whatever they were. Nothing like a toy that keeps them busy for hours and hours. This year for my daughter it was a new little dollhouse.

35. Vickie says:

I LOVED the Sunshine Family (and I never got them either!)

36. Elizabeth says:

I *had* the Sunshine Family! We usually only had toys that made it to the Sears Surplus store, so I’m guessing I got mine at the tail end of their popularity. I think one of the main ideas was that you recycled things around the house to make their accessories - very recycling-chic. And, the mom was anti-Barbie with relatively normal proportions. I remember making them a car from a Nestle Quik box, with the circular tin top becoming the opening to the trunk. I glued on a piece of yarn to keep it attached so I wouldn’t lose it. I mostly remember the baby had a little yellow suit and her (it’s?) hair stood straight up.

37. Mymsie says:

FUN! I would’ve LOVED one when I was little. (Hell, I’d probably have a ball with one now!) I nearly fainted when my ‘rents got me an Easy-Bake Oven. :)

38. tammy says:

This reminds us that life is simple smile and enjoy

39. Kellie says:

I just had to tell you that you were not crazy to want the Sunshine Family dolls. I had them and played with them for years. They eventually became my barbie’s children.

I have the same relationship with my daughter’s ez bake oven though, that you have with the cupcake maker. What a hassle! Same goes for that ridiculous animal stuffer machine I was suckered into buying last year. Ugh.

40. Kellie says:

Ooops. bad link before. sorry. not that you need this, of course, but didn’t want to steer you wrong before.

41. Jen says:

She looks SOOO happy! You are an awesome mom. Me, not so much. And neither is my house clean. What’s wrong with this picture?

42. elizabeth says:

OMG..the Sunshine family!!!..I got that many Christmas’s ago and played and played and played with it..You could decorate the house with fake wall paper and fake rugs..it was the very BEST gift I ever got!! No wonder our kids get spoiled at this time….So when they are 43 they can say…OMG remember when mom and dad got me………….. Merry Merry to you and yours!!!

43. Bonnie says:

As a young child I received a Sunshine Family for Christmas. I still have it, and whenever I feel nostalgic I take a moment and dig it out of my treasure chest and the same happiness I felt as an eight year old floods over me.

44. evie says:

I always wanted the snowcone maker from the Sear’s Catalogue.
    I checked it off every year for many years and never got it.
    When my nephew was turning 6 I went to the toy store to get it
    for him and saw the razor sharp blade oh so accessible to tiny
    hands and didn’t buy it. But, it is my one Christmas wish unfulfilled. I’m glad you made your daughter so very happy.

45. Shannon says:

Ah yes, I had the Sunshine family. Memories, lol.

46. Sherry says:

My kids only asked Santa for one thing, and that was a Fur Real kitten. I know my kids with stuffed animals. They like them for a couple of days and then they barely look at them again. But by GOD they got those kittens because I was not having Santa ignore their one and only request.

I’m glad she got the present she wanted!

47. kate says:

as always, I am in awe of your ability to get it all done ….. merry christmas to your sweet family…..

48. Elizabeth says:

I had the Sunshine Family! With the house that unfolded, too. I wish my Mom had saved them instead of selling them in a garage sale. They cost a fortune on eBay now.

We also got the Girl Gourmet Cupcake Maker, and yes, it is rather laborious to do one cupcake at a time, but my daughter just thinks it’s the coolest thing ever. The things we do for the love of our kids :P

Happy Holidays!

49. Daisy says:

The cupcake maker looks wonderful! I love that she made individual cupcakes for her brothers and eventually one for herself. What a generous child.

50. kate says:

I don’t even think we know why we want things but we want them and it is nice to sometimes get frivolous things just because. The cupcake maker she will always remember. I got the snoopy snow cone maker and my mom wondered why in the world I would want it, she bought it and I still remember it. I LOVED THAT THING!

51. Jen says:

That final picture is one of utter bliss and content. We should all be so content with the fruits of our labor.

52. emily says:

You are a braver mom than I! I haven’t let my daughter open hers yet.

53. Rachel says:

I had (actually still have) the Sunshine Family (including the grandparents!). I pink puffy heart them!! = )

54. Elizabeth says:

Wow, the Sunshine family was more popular than I ever realized. Particularly with those of us named Elizabeth.

55. kat says:

the sunshine family!!!! i wish i still had mine. they came out when i had to live in the hospital for a month. my grandma bought me the entire family, plus the entire black family - brought the lot of them (plus accessories) to the hospital.
    to this day i cannot think of those dolls or the time spent in the hospital without the other.

I lived for my Sunshine Family. I even blogged about them not too long ago!

Good for you for getting her the cupcake maker. I find a lot of things I say yes to are directly related to things my own childhood (and hearing ‘no’ quite often).

57. Michelle says:

My mom hauled out a box of stuff from when we were kids while were visiting for christmas. I was surprised to find my sunshine family was still around, not only that they were dressed in some groovy clothes we made for them in about 1978. I’d be happy to send them too you but I put them back on the shelf to discover again someday.

58. Katie in MA says:

And glitter. Don’t forget the glitter.

59. kellie says:

I loved my sunshine family ~ Loved them…and if I had them I would send to you…enjoy those cupcakes!