15 of 365

15 of 365

January 15, 2009

Cold.

Day 15 of 365

I’m just glad it isn’t snowing.

Today we spent the day huddled near the woodstove. We read stories. We did school work. (By “we” I mean the children. Though sometimes it feels like it is me and I have to stop and tell certain children that I have already done elementary school, thankyouverymuch.) Watched bad Disney tv. And abused the Ninetendo DS priviledges. But what else are you supposed to do when it is really too cold to go outside and play?

Comments

1. maggie madison says:

That’s what a cold day is all about. I am impressed you got in a little schoolwork. I would’ve gone straight for the DS.

2. Christy says:

I was so incredibly glad that I could drop my daughter off at preschool today. I knew that they wouldn’t be playing outside, but I couldn’t resist thinking that I was so glad that it was them and not me!

If you figure out the magic answer, let me know!

3. kate says:

It is cold here but no snow. I want it to snow. Really snow alot…

4. Rebecca says:

I feel your pain. It’s a ridiculous -16 here in Indiana, with a wind chill of -30-something. Most, if not all, schools have canceled classes today. Since we are not home-schooling, the chance of the kids doing ANYTHING educational is slim to none. And it’s too cold to go out to play. I think you can do the math here…

5. Maeana says:

Ours says -20 right now. Between colds and weather, I feellike we haven’t been out in a month. I am so looking forward to spring.

6. Jen says:

It was minus 45 degrees celcius here yesterday. I wanted to hurt someone, I was so cold. All I ask for is a healthy minus 5. That’s all. Wish I lived in a warmer country!

7. Wendy 2 says:

We have the snow here, and the cold, lots of it. IT is 7 above this morning and that is a heat wave after the 44 below we had yesterday morning. I feel sorry for the schools that can’t let the kids outside to play unless it is above zero, we have had too many days where they were cooped up inside. Luckily, they can play outside for today.

8. Tammy H. says:

It was 12 degrees this morning in BIRMINGHAM, ALABAMA!!! What? Where are you global warming? We live in the south for a reason. :)

It appears the global warming has decided to settle over Southern California. We’ve had record highs for the past, oh week or so. We even hit the low 90’s earlier this week. Believe me, I’m not bragging because I hate the heat. I’d give anything for actual seasons.

10. Ash says:

Oh my gosh, I can so feel you on the school work!! My oldest is in first grade and she had a project due NEXT week of a robot made out of recycled material. All fine and good right? The teacher sent a note home Tuesday that said she gave us the wrong date, it was due Wednesday, but she would give us until Friday(how generous, right?). So, of course I was busy Wednesday night and hit the gym last night then worked on the robot. AFTER she was in bed. First thing she said this morning was, “so mom, did you do my robot last night? It’s due TODAY remember?” UGH!!!! Must be nice to go to bed and your project not be started and then wake up and it’s finished!

11. Sadie says:

I won’t complain about how hot it is here this week. Seriously, 85* and the kids running around in shorts in January?

12. Javamom says:

Those icicles are lovely….except, it means there’s some sort of heatloss somewhere…only 3, um, 4ish more months to go still spring!

13. Shannon says:

HEre in AK, we had 2 weeks of double digit negative temps. It’s now 46, and schools have been closed for 3 days because of ice and high winds. I have been home with my children for 3 days straight. 3 days.
    Insanity is setting in.

14. Lucy says:

Not to go all Pollyanna on all of you but … there are a lot of things you can do when it is this cold. (It was -25F in my neck of the woods this week.) Try blowing bubbles; they freeze and it looks really cool. Leave a banana outside for a few hours and then use it to pound nails. Such fun…. Not convinced? Okay, then remember this too will pass.