20 of 365

20 of 365

January 22, 2009

The Stirrups

dr-office

Yes, I know I am late posting this. But in my defense my computer is trying to die. It shuts down at the most inopportune times. Apparently it needs a new motherboard, or so some tech in India tells me. Since it is still under warranty, because it is only 8 months old, I have someone coming out here to my house tomorrow morning to replace it.

Yesterday I had my annual girlie bit check-up. See my nicely folded clothes sitting on the chair? All the underwear tucked neatly inside the other clothes. Sure, you can look in my vagina, but I don’t want you to see my underwear or bra.

The dr said my pulse and blood pressure were nice and low and questioned whether I worked out. I hesitated and finally told her, “I think about working out. Does that count?”

Comments

1. Anne says:

Now, at the ripe ole age of 42, it cracks me up that I thought I was the only one obsessed with hiding my bra and panties from my OB/GYN — who is a woman, too — during my annuals. I wonder what they think about this bit of OCD regarding undergarments? I, personally, attribute it to my prudish Southern upbringing. Everybody else, I just don’t know.

2. allmycke says:

… I keep thinking that I’m going to get started soon… Just wait until it’s a bit lighter in the afternoons, then I’ll get out on skis or snowshoes or walking… at least!

3. Mindy says:

I do the same thing sitting in my paper gown on the table. Look at my clothes to make sure you can’t see any personals.

4. Ali says:

“Sure, you can look in my vagina, but I don’t want you to see my underwear or bra.”

So freaking hysterical - because it’s true!!

5. kate says:

I think about working out as well. I don’t think it counts as my ass keeps getting larger instead of smaller like it would you know if I actually stopped thinking about exercise and actually did it!

6. insertcrazyhere says:

Why is it that women do that? Sure doctor go ahead and look at my V, but don’t you dare look at my underwear because ya know that would be weird!

7. laura says:

and to think i thought that i was the only one who neatly folds and hide the undies and bra from view. it is ironic, but still.

8. Cara says:

That’s funny, cause I think the same thing every time I neatly fold my undies and bra in my pants or under my shirt. Heaven forbid they see that…blah.

9. Shara says:

Oh my goodness! You are so right! I DO tuck my underwear/bra in my clothes… What am I thinking??? That is hilarious!

10. michele says:

LOL - I ALWAYS hide my undies as well, just seems so assuming to leave them hanging out for all the world to see! Now seems kinda stupid in the context of having my ass hanging out for all to see!! hope your computer is fixed soon!

11. Jan says:

The part about the neatly folded underwear inside the other clothes? Just made me laugh!

12. Andrea says:

Do you sleep with your camera?

Ugh. Yes, the girlie bit check-up… what kind of person actually goes into gynocology, anyway? (I am wondering if it is a good sign or a bad sign that I know no gyns in my social cirlces…?)

13. robyn says:

As soon as I saw the neatly folded clothes, even before reading the post I was wondering if you, also, tuck your underwear and bra under your clothes!

14. Brigitte says:

Ooh, that would be SO nice if it did count! That is hysterical about hiding the bra and panties in the other clothes, I do the same thing (I bet a lot of us do) and I never even thought about it.

Maybe the pulse and pressure were so low because even a visit to the lady-bits doctor is a nice little break from the kids. ;-)

15. Kate says:

Love the Vera Bradley!

16. Lori says:

Found your blog when I googled “clogged milk duct”. Lucky me - still trying to rid myself of the clog. Ouch.

Wow, 6 boys and a girl, my mom comes from a family of 6 girls and a boy. You are a good woman. I have one girl and one boy and I think that’s it for me. I so admire big families but I’m not sure I’m cut out for it. In fact, I’m 99% sure that I am not.

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely be checking back in on this.

17. amy @ withpurpose says:

Oh that is so funny about the bra and underwear…I was totally thinking that when I first looked at the picture. I wonder if we all do that.

18. tammy says:

love it my husband is not sure why i think this is funny i told him it was a girl thing no way you want your undies showing tuck them in nice and tight

19. Sus says:

Well now she’ll think you go commando…

20. McM says:

I always wonder if Doctors ever give my clothes a second glance. While I am undressing I give pause –fold, hang up, wad up– or throw on the floor—-oooh ick a doctors office no way!

21. suburbancorrespondent says:

I do hope you’ve backed everything up! The same thing happened to us last year - we watched our computer die a slow, agonizing death.

22. Jen says:

I do the same thing, I make a conscious effort to fold me undies and bra and tuck them in the middle. That’s hilarious!!!

23. Barb says:

I do the same thing with the underwear. Tuck it into the jeans. You’ve given me pause…why exactly am I doing that again?!

24. Lisa says:

Hahahah……….so true! I’ll fold my clothes all nice and neat and sit her naked for 30 minutes until they decided to come in and by that time you have readjusted and refolded the stack so that they know you are clean and tidy and take care of “things”!

25. Lynn says:

Underwear and doctors should never mix. I was really sick once and since I was too weak to drive, my husband took me to the doctor. I had to put on a gown so I could get a chest xray. Even though I had had a fever of 103+ for four days and could not say more than two words without gasping for breath, I was COMPLETELY mortified when my husband handed me my bra - dangling off his hand - right in front of my doc. I still shudder to think about it. I actually found the breath to bitch at him about it as he drove me to the hospital to get admitted for pneumonia.

26. Amy says:

Oh that’s funny. I always hide my underwear. And then I close the curtain to the little changing room, just in case I didn’t hide them well enough.

27. Nina says:

haha….so true with the underwear thing! And it appears that most of us do that

28. eko (elizabeth) says:

SO TRUE, so true! :)

29. SoMo says:

Hey, we might be required to be treated like a hand puppet once a year, but we are still ladies, afterall.

30. Tina says:

LOL!! I do the same thing!! I HAVE to tuck my underwear and bra under my regular clothes. How funny…

31. Amy says:

That is priceless. I can’t stop laughing.

32. Ruth H says:

This is so funny. Okay, now everyone who DOESN’T hide their undies fess up! We want to know what kind of person you really are. ;D

33. Anna says:

Thinking about exercising TOTALLY counts. Like thinking about the eliptical while I read through my favorite blogs is basically same as having burned those 350 calories. So thank you for doing your part to keep me healthy!

34. Kristin says:

…and does the doctor question why exactly you brought your…camera?!

Chris says: Actually I took this photo with my phone. But I *do* bring my camera everywhere usually.

35. jennielynn says:

LOL! I stash my undies at the doctor’s office as well. You just made me see how ridiculous that is!

36. Bev B says:

I’m an undie tucker as well! Bad enough you have to sit there spread eagle….and to have those undies sticking out all over like you have no cuth? No way! LOVE IT!!!

Thanks for all your humor!!

37. Katie in MA says:

How about “I have 7 kids. Does that count?” I guarantee it would have earned you a check mark.

38. Katherine says:

Wow…I thought I was unique w/hiding the underwear/bra but not so much. How funny!

39. Not June Cleaver says:

I wonder what percentage of women hide the undies? I laughed so hard when I read what you wrote, but even harder when I saw how many other women do the same thing.

40. Lucinda says:

Along with many others above, I also hide my underwear and bra. How ridiculous is that? It is funny.

41. katrina says:

I tuck my underwear between folds of my clothes too.
    I’ve been going to the OBGYN 2x a month for the last year (don’t ask… its not a fun story). At last week’s appointment, my Dr decided he couldn’t ’see’ what he needed to properly, and that I needed a sonogram (internal… whee.) but the machine was in the next room. The nurse helped me bundle up in the paper gown, and I made it a point to pick up my clothes MYSELF to carry to the next room, even though she offered… I was so scared she would pick them up and my underwear would fall out.

42. Beth says:

I read this post this morning before our home school co-op, and giggled all the way there. Now, I’m reading it again and the comments…STILL laughing. What SoMO said too…being treated like a hand puppet once a year. LOL!

43. Jamie says:

I’m glad I’m not alone in the underwear tucking. My husband laughs at me about it.

44. Yannayoga says:

I hide my undies too! And the woman has pulled a baby out of there! Actually, we’re friends, so she’s seen me change clothes, wearing only my undies. Yet, I still hide them. I’m glad to know I’m not the only one!

45. Chris says:

And here I thought I was the only one who hides her underwear between the rest of her clothing in the OB/GYN office… Thought I was special but apparently it is common practice.

BTW, when I first saw this photo I thought it was taken in your laundry room. I wondered why you had a Gardasil shopping bag lying around…

46. PastormacsAnn says:

Oh yea, the doctor isn’t just going to LOOK in there. Oh no, that’s not all. But I have to hide the unmentionables.

Too funny.

Sorry about your computer. One word: Mac!

47. monique says:

Shh..I’m 55..have 3+2 + 1/9th grandchildren.. yet…wear my BEST bra and undies when I go and fold everything neatly also.Leave my BEST bra on top prettily folded though:)
    I love the line..:”Just relax”…Makes me more nervous than anything.

48. Donna says:

I looked to see if your undies were hiding before I even read the post! Count me in as another undie and bra tucker!

49. Tamra @ It all started with a kiss says:

After my own recent visit, I recently wrote about the ridiculousness of so many “norms” including stirrups and drug ads everywhere.
    And so I had a good laugh when this picture has BOTH. Together. Unbelievable.
    At one time, it wouldn’t have even entered into my mind to question it… Now it drives me crazy. Ha.

50. nancy says:

ok, i was laughing hysterically and tears running down my cheeks running at this one. my husband on the other couch was like - oh boy, must be a good one.

the irony!! i hide my undies everytime. ha!!!!

51. Robin says:

doesn’t every one nicely fold up their clothes at the girly doctor and tuck their panties and bra inside? I mean we don’t want the doctor to think we are sloppy or anything, right?

52. Leslie says:

Hahaha I do this too!! Perhaps because with all the other exposure you would just hope your panties arent being scrutinized too.

53. Heidi says:

When I went in to deliver my 3 child I remember yelling at my husband when I was changing into the hospital gown. He opened the curtain to talk to the nurse. Afterwards I thought well I guess I could apologize to him, seeing as though the woman is sticking her entire arm in places no human being should have to go. It wouldn’t of been a big deal to have her see me changing….

But then I started having contractions and I thought when he can push a human out of his body then I will apologize :)

54. rebecca says:

So not only do I (and probably most other women) tuck the undergarmies into my clothes pile at the GYN, but I always make sure they’re the nicest bra-and-panties… even though I tuck them into my clothes pile so no one there will see them!

55. Ann-Marie says:

SO glad to know I’m not the only one who not only hides my bra and undies, but who also folds my clothes neatly on the chair.

56. Emily says:

Oh, dear. I’m 63 and I do and I carefully tuck my nicest bra and panties inside my other clothes and then neatly fold everything to place on the chair at the GYN exam. I thought it was just because I’m an old lady and probably all the young women would think that’s silly. Glad to see the need for some control over our modesty is transgenerational.

57. kat says:

i think we all hide our undies at the gynie.
    i just had my first ob appt. last week, & took loads of photos from ‘the table’: the stirrups, feet, ceiling, etc. nice to know i’m not the only one to do so.

58. Sarah says:

And I thought I was the only one who hid their bra and undies. And I shave. That’s the one time of year I do a good job shaving. So silly.