21 of 365

21 of 365

January 22, 2009

The Babies eat lunch

DSC_0031_edited-1

I still call them “The Babies.” Yes, I know at 4 and 5 years old they technically are not babies. In fact they roll their eyes at me and tell me every day that they are not babies.

DSC_0034_edited-1

Well, Miles has been known to embrace the “Baby” title when it suits him. He will get up in the morning and if I am already downstairs he will come running into the room shouting, “Here comes your baby!” Or if he doesn’t feel like turning on the bathroom light himself. “But I am just a baby!” Or if walking across the parking lot is too much. “I have tired wittle wegs because I am a baby!”

DSC_0035_edited-1

The Babies are on a Fluff and peanut butter sandwich kick right now. Cut into quarters. Hers in triangles. His in “tiny squares.” He refuses to eat the crust. You do not want to endure their wrath if you cut their sandwiches wrong. Those Babies are picky.

My oldest son asks me how long I am going to keep calling them The Babies. I don’t know.
“The Babies need a ride back to college.” Yeah, that sounds fine to me.

DSC_0044_edited-1

The Babies are already prepared for college life. I ask them all the time if it is lunch time or play time.

DSC_0053_edited-1

They aren’t sure.

DSC_0056_edited-1

Eating lunch is just way too funny….the opportunities for burping, showing the food in your mouth, and making a mess.

DSC_0059_edited-1

I couldn’t decide which one of the photos in this series was my pick for the day. Each one of them makes me smile. My favorite is the fifth one down, but technically it isn’t a great photo since everything is blurry. But that is sort of how things look when you are holding a camera and laughing, in spite of yourself.

Comments

1. Shannon says:

Very cute pics. We started calling our five year old twins “the buddies” to replace “the babies”. They were getting offended, lol.

2. Deb says:

I have three sons, and one daughter. They are all 3 years apart, except for the last two and they are two years apart. For years we referred to them as, “the little boys”. But when they grew taller than me, I figured we needed to stop.

Oh, it goes by much too quickly. The “little boys” are 20 and 18. I think that is why I like reading your blog so much, it reminds of the wonder of it all. Plus, I homeschooled, and you are a good reminder of why I did it. I loved the TIME we got to spend together as a family, though I admit sometimes it felt like too much. My mind is not that forgetful!

3. Keyona says:

I need to have lunch with them. They make sandwiches look fun! :o) Love your girls face in the last one, so much personality.

4. Christie says:

My two youngest are only a year apart - they are 3 and 2. We still call them ‘the babies’ and I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to stop. They are my babies! Of course, the fact that they are both girls possibly helps them accept this title a little easier than boys may. However, the 3 year old likes to remind me that she is not a ‘baby’ but a ‘big girl’ whenever the situation warrants. Even my 3 older kids call them ‘the babies’ - guess if the label works you go with it!

5. Kristie says:

This was a good post for me to read this morning, after seriously considering selling my children to gypsies yesterday. And also a reminder to me not to fuss when asked to cut “in four small triangles, no crust” ….

6. Ash says:

They are to cute!! We are on a peanut butter and nuttella chocolate on toasted bread kick at the moment. It’s kinda like a reese’s cup!!

7. Aubri says:

Too cute. It’s totally cool to keep calling them “The Babies” until they’re ancient. My mom is in her mid-fifties and is still referred to as “The Baby” so it’s all good!

8. Lauren says:

I just wondered this morning when I would stop calling my 16 month old twins the babies, I guess I have a few more years before I need to worry about it!

9. eko (elizabeth) says:

Blissful lunch time memories. I once bought crust less bread (a local bakery) and my son still wouldn’t eat the “edgings.”

All are wonderful pics, I could not have chosen either!

10. Lilly says:

I was born about 5 yrs after the last of my siblings and I NEVER stopped being the baby in my mom’s mind. She probably stopped calling me ‘the baby’ when I was in my 30s… Being the baby had many advantages so I didn’t mind! …Your kids are adorable!

11. Michelle says:

We also called our youngest two “the babies” for the longest time. They are 17 months apart and much younger
    than my older two. We had to stop when the older of the two was 7, she did not like being called a baby!

12. Rae says:

I love those babies. They’re such little hams, eh? Nice, beautiful shots.

13. Sarah says:

Ahh, sandwich cutting…
    Our favourite was peanut butter and honey (and feeding the crusts to Gran’s dog)

My mom says she stopped taking cutting requests when I was three and asked for seven triangles and three circles.

(and now I’m a math teacher … go figure)

Sarah

14. ~annie says:

I called mine “Baby” until she protested at around age 10, upon which I asked what I should call her instead - “Wrinkly Old Prune-Butt” perhaps? She was probably thinking something more along the lines of “Your Highness.”

15. Annette says:

I have two brothers who are much younger than me–12 and 14 years younger– and even though they’re 28 and 30 I still refer to them as the “little guys.” They’re both 6′4″ now. I guess I should stop.

In that fifth photo your daughter looks exactly like you do in photos of you laughing. That’s my favorite too!

I still call my soon to be 7 year old the “baby”. I even ask her, “who is my baby?” She responds with “ME!” I say, “Where is my baby?” She says, while pointing to herself, “RIGHT HERE!” We’ve been doing this since she was about 2 and half years old. She will always be the baby, darnit!

The 10 year old snickers whenever I tell her she is my baby. I tell her one day she is going to want to be my baby. Probably right about the time college tuition is due!

18. Baby Favorite says:

I think “The Babies” will suit them forever just fine.

I tell both of my kids (9 & 13) they’ll always be my babies. Even my 13yo son’s friends don’t mind when I give them a big hug and say, “Hi, baby boy!” Yes, to my SON’S FRIENDS. God, they must really like me.

Or maybe they’re just afraid to show they don’t. Hard to say.

19. Baby Favorite says:

BTW, these friends of my sons are boys I’ve literally known since they WERE babies. I’m know that doesn’t make it seem any more sane, but… um, yeah.

20. Liesl says:

My best friend’s youngest child we have both always called the little boy or the red-headed boy, and he and his friend, because they were both the youngest in their families have always been the “little boys”. The little boys are 20 now . . . and our red-headed boy is 6′6″.

21. Paula says:

I am glad to hear that others face the wrath of ‘cutting the sandwich wrong’ or ‘opening the package when the baby wanted to open it himself’ :)

22. Mymsie says:

My friend from Mass taught me that Yankees (hee) call those sammies Fluffernutters. I love it!!

23. Debbie98 says:

What cute pictures! No matter how old they WILL still be your babies. Your so fortunate to be there every day to capture these silly pictures of them!

24. Pam says:

I have a 13 year old, 5 year old and 3 year old. We call the 5 and 3 year old, “the Littles”. I like it because it sounds like their last name. Cute pictures.

25. Katie in MA says:

I love the 5th one, too! The one where Miles is headbanging while his sister laughs at him. :) Laughing and making a mess is much better than arguing and…well…anything else. I know you know. :)

26. Maine Mom says:

These pictures are making me smile, too.

We have a 6 month old who is the actual baby, but we call our 23 month old “baby Kate”. It just fits her and we don’t want to stop saying it, and who knows if we ever will.

27. Byron says:

That picture is the best because they’re both (all of you) so wrapped up with laughter and it doesn’t matter that it’s blurry. Thanks for sharing!

28. kate says:

No they are not technically babies but they are your babies and they are the babies of the family and always will be.

My mom had two kids in 16 months and 10 years later there were 3 of us in 3 years.

WE ARE STILL REFERRED TO AS THE LITTLE KIDS.

My brother will be 30, I will be 28 and my little brother just turned 26. WE ARE STILL CALLED THE LITTLE KIDS. I mean it is kinda funny when you think about it.

29. Adriana says:

I love your photos. What a great moment to capture.
    My guys are 13mos apart but we referred to them as the boy and the baby. The baby was 7yrs old and still “the baby”. Now that I actually have a 3rd baby it’s very confusing. I need new nicknames! Not liking “the middle one”. Is it bad to call the baby “the girl”?

30. Shara says:

The fifth pic was also my fav. My babies- one aching to get her license and one in her first yr of school… still my babies. Great post!

31. The 6-S Ranch says:

Peanut butter and fluff sounds pretty yummy!!! We’ll have to try that one. My kids are on a peanut butter and white chocolate chip sandwich kick right now. And, for the first time, I saw some of that white chocolate peanut butter at the store that you once blogged about. I totally would have bought it too, except for that salmonella scare right now…I’ll probably risk it anyway:)

32. El says:

*smile* I refer to my 9 and 6 year olds as “the babies.” I call them that too, as in: “C’mon, Babies, let’s get going.”

They will always be my babies.

33. Heather in MN says:

They will always be your babies! You brought them into the world, you can call them what ever you want. My baby is 3 and I’m sure I will still call him my baby when he is in college.

You go MOM!

34. Anita Ovolina says:

You know I have five girls - when the fifth one was born we started calling her the new baby, her sister (daughter number 4) was the older baby…
    Very cute pictures!
    A

35. cristen says:

great series of photos!

36. Cary says:

My 4 year old just turned 4 yesterday, and is STILL my baby. My question is when do you stop carrying them?

37. Stacey says:

I always keep the blurry ones too. Something about blurry pictures just captures the essence of their fleeting childhood. I even used a super blurry picture on the front of our 2008 mini-album (tiny little brag book) with the title “Speeding through 2008″. So appropriate. Gosh, I guess they’ll always be babies in some way or other…

38. Maggie says:

I used to want curly hair so badly when I was little…and I didn’t like to eat the crusts. So my Mom used to tell me that eating the crusts would make my hair curly. I totally believed her…I mean, if carrots are good for your eyesight, why WOULDN’T crusts make your hair curly?! Ahem. I’m glad to say that now, at the in-two-weeks age of 27, I just eat the crusts anyway…and I’ve come to love my very fine mostly straight hair :)

39. SheilaInVA says:

Um, my “babies” are 17 and 13=) Whenever my hubby and I talk about them, we call them the babies. They will ALWAYS be our babies!! Cary, when their feet drag on the ground=)

40. iris says:

They make quite the duo. So (disgustingly) adorable. Love the photos. :) Your daughter is lucky, all those brothers to wield swords for her! My mom was one of 2 daughters out of 7 siblings and according to her, the town boys were scared to woo her. The burly brothers and their beady eyes lol..

41. monique says:

Mes petites filles..are 33 and soon 32:)

“Mothers hold their childrens hands for a while..their hearts forever”.
    They are ALWAYS our bébés:)
    Very cute pics.. we babsysat 2 of ours last night into today and I think I have similar shots although never as good as yours.

42. Lilly says:

To Cary… I think you stop carrying them when they’re just impossible to pick up any more.

43. BonnaRenee says:

My “babies” are 10 and 6. The 10 year-old can’t wait to be older, the the 6 year-old is still unable to do things because he “doesn’t know how” or is “tired”. At times he has the attitude of a lazy teen! But the sandwich thing must be gender-related. My girl’s sandwich mush be cut triangular and my boy’s in neat perfect halves. And I dare not deviate or leave any crust. However the crust is perfectly fine on grilled cheese sandwiches. Gotta love ‘em.

44. Carly says:

I’m an adult, and my mom still calls me her baby. In fact, I got a voicemail from her the other day and she began with “Hey, baby!” I was playing it on speakerphone, and a friend of mine asked me who my new significant other was that was calling me baby. I was like, “ummm…my mom.”

Anyway, the point was to tell you that that girl of yours? With her jazz hands and amazing facial expressions? Get her in theatre, STAT.

45. Lorraine says:

A few days before our mother died, she asked for “the baby” to help her. “The baby” was my 36 year old sister! She was always our mother’s baby….

46. Brigitte says:

My four-year-old started to get mad about being called “baby”, but we listen to a lot of songs while driving, and I said “baby” is also a term of affection that just means you really love someone and weant to take care of them, just like in the songs. It helped that Spongebob has an ode to a Krabby Patty where he keeps calling it “baby” too. She doesn’t mind as much now . . for the moment!

47. Suzy in DC says:

the 5th picture is simply awesome!!!

48. JulieBee says:

My twin brothers are the youngest of 8 and were consistently called the babies until at least 12, and as often as we could all get away with since then. I love it.

49. Tranny Head says:

I think I like the last one best - because the look on your daughter’s face is absolutely fantastic. LOVE it.

50. Angie says:

My babies are 8, 6 and 4. Everyday they ask the baited question whether they’re babies or not. Their big brother usually starts it, telling them they will always be the babies. Which starts a screaming fit, and I want to hit them all with a broom.

51. Peggy E says:

Just saying I’m glad you let them eat sandwiches without plates! Me too sometimes ;)

52. Elizabeth Aquino says:

I’m salivating thinking about a peanut butter n fluff sandwich. Tomorrow, I’m thinking, I’ll go to Ralph’s and buy that nasty terrific stuff. The photos are wonderful, blurred and all. So happy and free and all the right things. Fluffanutter sandwiches for all!

Awesome pictures!

We have the Big 3 and the Little 2 around here. The Big 3 are my oldest son and my twin daughters, 16 months apart (and 3 minutes, hehe). Then I had almost a 3 year gap before my other son and other daughter were born 14 months apart. (I’m the poster mom for “Yes you can get pregnant while breast feeding.”) It’s funny because the Big 3 actually do things as a group a lot while the Little 2 hang with me. I say things like “I’m taking the Little 2 to the store, you (my husband) have the Big 3 here.”

54. Carolyn says:

“Nobody puts Baby in a corner.” And you’ll find a way to insert that famous line into conversations.

My son is 14 (and was followed by my 6 girls cousins) and to this day he is “the boy”. Grandparents call and they ask…”where’s the boy?” It works.

55. Sally says:

I’d love to know what the story being told was in that last photo. That face she’s pulling speaks of good times.