23 and 24 of 365

23 and 24 of 365

January 24, 2009

The End, No Really This Time. Really.

day-23

Last night was the football banquet. The final football thing in a season that seems to have lasted for an entire year.

I’m really not complaining though. We have thoroughly enjoyed every moment.

My son is standing up there with his head coach getting a prestigious, yet little known, award. The “Making weight and then destroying the Ponderosa buffet” award. We are so proud.

day-23-ALT

It was a long event, with speeches, awards, and even more speeches. Miles entertained himself thoroughly by playing in his water glass and licking the water off of his fingers. The things you are willing to let your children do just so that they will be quiet. He also held his fingers up and shouted “TOUCHDOWN!” on the top of his lungs anytime there was applause. A few of those times he flipped the bird to the entire room. But it was a room full of football players, not high tea with Junior Women’s League, so I like to think that he fit in just fine.

day-24

And because there is no rest for the weary, this morning we got out all the baseball gear in anticipation of the season starting a few weeks. Everyone tried on their cleats and pants, and we examined gloves and bags, and we wondered where random items could have possibly disappeared. Call me crazy, but I am fairly certain everyone always came home wearing BOTH cleats, one on each foot, but I guess anything is possible.

day-24-ALT

This will be Miles first year playing. On a 4 yr old AND UNDER team. Could you just die from the potential cuteness and comic relief? He is so excited that he can’t even contain himself. When we found out about the team my 5 yr old said, “Well, at least now he won’t have to keep talking about his imaginary team.

The thing that is the cutest of all? The way his older brothers are excited for him. I am not sure that there will be many other kids who are lucky enough to have 5 older baseball playing brothers cheering for them.

I told Miles that there was going to be a team for him this year, he said, “I have been waiting since I was a baby!”

Indeed he has.

Comments

1. Lilly says:

Gosh, I remember that cute-as-anything video of Miles and the baseball as though it was yesterday! SO CUTE! Can’t wait to see any and all photos you get of Miles playing baseball.

2. Dana says:

Too cute! We just checked all our baseball gear, too, and everyone needs new cleats and pants. There were no batting gloves to be found. The one (and most costly) bright spot: gloves and Cody’s catching equipment all still fit. Yay!

Congrats on making it through football season. Our first year of football begins this summer.

3. bex says:

there was such suspense at the end! i kept expecting him to say, “ok, dinner.”

love the shot of the baseball glove. that is timeless! it might look nice in sepia too.

4. Lindsay says:

what a nice big brother!

5. Monique says:

So cute! Miles reminds me so much of my little grandsons..Even the baseball playing:)
    I love your pics!

Lulu has a cold again and told his mom last time..I have been sick all my life.
    He is 3.

That’s just like Waiting since he was a baby:)
    They just make me so happy these little kids.

I had forgotten about that video. Now i’m going to sit back and have a few grins while watching that cute boy swing at his tee ball!!

7. Natalie says:

That video is the cutest thing I’ve seen in a long time!

8. kelly says:

omg…I remember that video like it was yesterday…where does the time go?!?

I still love:

1. How “NO, my turn!” transitions into “Nooo (silly Mommy), MY turn!” when he realizes you’re joking.

2. How he switches from being a righty to a lefty.

3. How he gets distracted by a bird.

4. How his older brother fetched the ball and showed him the proper way to hold the bat.

It’s going to be fun to see and hear about him developing into a baa-ball player for real.

9. tammy says:

A couple of thoughts 1st You had water left over at your table we were so parched our table had only ice in the pitcher and it would not melt. 2nd I loved the picture with coach eating the breakfast sandwich with oldest son grinning ear to ear 3rd the pictures of miles playing baseball in his onesee is to cute

Chris says: We went back and had our water pitcher refilled three or four times! It also helped that some of us at the table were drinking things other than water. Ahem.
    Can’t believe it is really over!

10. mindy says:

bet that makes you want another one, huh?!

Chris says: Hahahahahaha. NO!!!!

11. Karen says:

I love baseball! I am so excited that Miles gets to play. He is a baseball guy and baseball guys should get to play on a real field! You have got to post his pitching video again.

12. Kit says:

Chris, that video is just TOO much. “No…bay-ball”
    What a lucky guy he will be to have so many big brothers cheering for him!
    And I can’t believe that your baseball starts so soon! I live in Boston, and we’ve got a little wait before there will be any clear grass on which to play.

13. Denise says:

I’ve been waiting since then too. Seriously. I cannot wait for this.

14. Rachelle says:

Love the banquet sentiment - I can relate and we too got out the baseball gear… we started indoor this week. And Miles? OMG… best video ever…. please video one of his games and post…..

15. annmarie says:

amazingly cute! I love your blog. I have four kids, but only one is a boy and I don’t think I could handle anymore baseball than his.

16. kate says:

I can not wait to see pictures of the 4 year old team. I bet they are going to be adorable.

17. Stacey says:

So cute! Future Babe Ruth, that one!

18. Tammie says:

Very cute! For a little guy in diapers, he did a pretty good job. Now that he’s going to be on a “real” team, it will be interesting to see how well he does. Great that his older siblings are so excited for him!

19. Shara says:

How cute! My 18 yo daughter and I sat her at the computer and clapped when he made a good hit!

20. Lisa says:

Sooooo sweet! I love it too that his older brother was helping him too and cheering him on……..that is a sign of a great mom!

21. Stephanie says:

That is too cute, I can barely handle it. I just told my husband we must go buy a tee for our 18 month old (for the spring, obviously.)

How old is Miles in this video?

Chris says: He was about 20 months old

22. Andrea says:

Being a softball coach, I completely understand what you mean when you say that the season never ends. And you are literally there every . day . of . your . life. okay, so maybe it’s an exaggeration, but it really feels like it.

Is it sad that seeing that video of Miles makes me feel reallllyyy old, because I remember the first time you posted it? He’s a future hall of famer, for sure!!

23. Snapper says:

The video is just all good. So cute!

24. momzen says:

OMG! He is SOOO Cute! And I noticed he hit almost every one he aimed for. Gotta watch out for that one. (Of course, with five coaches (wait, you too… six!), he’s gonna be a ringer!

25. Shannon says:

I am assuming the 4 and under team is teeball, right? Can’t wait to see pics of that!

26. kimberly/tippytoes says:

Miles is hilarious. He reminds me so much of my little guy, but how is it that Miles makes me laugh, yet my son just wears me out? :)

27. Karate Mom says:

Oh. Wow. Can it be? Can it be that I’ve been reading your blog for that long? Because I think REMEMBER that video! I almost exploded from his cuteness and was in complete awe at your son’s patience in returning the ball to the tee over and over again.
    So cute! *sigh* So cute!

28. Bronnie says:

awww gorgeous!!
    I can’t wait to see his baseball career take off!!!

And he’s is very lucky to have 5 older brother to play with him and cheer him on :)

29. jennielynn says:

You seriously need to post a warning lable, because that is a dangerous level of cuteness.

30. Lylah says:

I think I just died from the cuteness. Of the b aby, of course, but also of the older brother tirelessly putting new balls out for the baby to hit.

31. angela michelle says:

Love the helpful big brother. I agree–the little ones have it so good, what with their built-in cheering section.

32. Steph from Toronto says:

Miles is adorable. But what is almost more adorable is how patient and kind your elder son is. Miles is a lucky boy!

33. ~annie says:

What a cute video! I think I have to go digging in your archives - looks like there’s a lot of great stuff from before I started reading.

34. Jana says:

That is the cutest damn thing I have ever seen!!

35. Angie says:

I remember that video! It looks so much cuter now! I can’t wait to see the 4 and under baseball pics. You inspire me to try to take pictures of 4-5 basketball.

36. Maine Mom says:

Miles is so cute in that video! I can imagine he is very excited to be on his own team after watching his brothers play so much.

37. Isabel Kallman says:

omg. the cuteness. i can’t take it.

they are so lucky to have you record these memories so beautifully for them.

If we could all have (or be) talented moms like you….

38. liz says:

Holy cow, that’s gonna be the cutest team ever!

39. gwendomama says:

you are killing me with the adorability.

40. Kathryn in NZ says:

omigod, yes - 4 & under teams are too too cute. When eldest daughter was doing cheerleading, the 5yr & under group came on stage at Nationals and I just about died from the cuteness of them. Immune now though, to itty bitty cute gymnasts/ballet.
    Go Miles!

41. Michele says:

Ahhhh. The comic relief. My oldest sons’ first game the grandparents were out in force. My son got on base! Yay. Then the next hitter, he took off running. The coaches, and my husband told him to keep going, so he rounded third. Keep Going! Hit home. No one told him to stop, so he went around all the bases again. The look on the ref’s face was priceless. Another father, one who has older children, and many years in the league just looked at my husband and said, “Thank you. I needed that.” My father actually had to sit down he was laughing so hard. My son was just so happy he got to home. Twice.

42. Heidi says:

that is such a cute video!! I love your other son in the background worrying about Miles’s hand placement. He is a REAL baseball coach!

43. Joel says:

Great pictures. I love your use of focus. I must share that I added a bunch of parenting/family story blogs to my Google reader last year and yours is the only one I still stop by from time to time. You do a great job balancing pictures and word count and tell such a wonderful story.

Love the photo a day idea….