You Might Think Twice Before Inviting Us to Your Party

You Might Think Twice Before Inviting Us to Your Party

December 20, 2011

This is an example of the type of note that my daughter leaves for Stalker Elf.

height=

So many questions. Its like she wants to set Stalker Elf up on an online dating site.

Last night my daughter had a girl scout Christmas party. She reminded me of this approximately two hours before it started. This wouldn’t have been a problem except that we had to bake and bring 2 dozen cookies and bring an ornament for an ornament exchange.

Luckily we had a cookie mix in the house. You know the kind where you add an egg and a teeny bit of water and it magically morphs into cookies. Then we spread some frosting on the top of them. My son said we should call these cookies “reindeer droppings” because they looked like poop with snow on top of them. Yes, that’s exactly what we will call them! So appetizing! Thanks for the advice, son!

When we got to the party, I was glad to see that I was not the laziest mother. Amid all the overachievers, someone brought store bought cookies and put them on the cookie table still in the plastic container from the store. Someday I would really like to go to one of these cookie exchange things and bring Oreos, still in their plastic sleeves. I think it would be funny, but then again I think a lot of things are funny that other people don’t.

Also lucky for us, we have a Christmas tree full of ornaments, most of which have no setimental value and fall conveniently in the $5 range. My daugher told me after the party that she felt bad for the girl who got her ornament because all the other ornaments were more like stuffed animals or covered with glitter or peace signs. I don’t understand, what 8 year old girl doesn’t want a rustic wooden goose with a Santa sitting on its back?

Comments

1. Arnebya @whatnowandwhy says:

Reindeer droppings, hm. Yeah, thanks for that! I’d have tried them even labeled that way. And I’m the mom who’d try to find some chocolate milk for the Oreos and stand beside them all night, not bothering to look at even the appetizing reindeer droppings because OREOS!

2. Marti says:

Wait…It was wrong for me to bring Chips Ahoy and place them on the table still in their sleeves? Shit! At least I made sure they were the ones with red and green chocolate chips, right. RIGHT!

3. Amy C says:

I’m so glad you’re back. I’ve missed you and your delightful stories.

4. meredith says:

Ummm…I did that. I sent my daughter to a Christmas party at school last week with a big package of Oreos. I justify this by telling myself that we live in France and the party was in her English class and Oreos are an exotic American specialty.

5. Meg...CT says:

hahahaha..oreos! That is just how I am feeling this week.
    PS: Thanks for the warning about the Elf on a Shelf…we never had it for the big kids and someone suggested it for my three year old…I think I will stay clear of it!

6. Bethany says:

I’m glad you are back to posting. I have been through the “girl scout ornament exchange” torture. It is never pretty.

I bet the Oreos would be eaten first anyways…

8. Jean says:

Just found out you had some new posts up. Laughing really hard here… Love what you write!!!

9. elz says:

I bet you could bring Girl Scout cookies and nobody would say anything!

I solved the Elf questions by getting a letter FROM Santa of etsy. Whatever. It worked and now I don’t have to answer in teeny tiny writing!

10. Brigitte says:

Ha, I think Katie’s right - kids’ll stick with what they know best!

11. Heidi says:

Wait….. cookies come in things other than plastic containers at the store? Who knew ;)

12. Navhelowife says:

My rule? Just because I have to bring something doesn’t mean I have to MAKE something :)