The Fun Never Ends

The Fun Never Ends

December 21, 2011

height=

I spent the evening in the ER with my son who hurt his foot skateboarding. No, scratch that. Who hurt his foot when he stepped off the skateboard strangely and rolled his ankle.

Bad news: broken foot.

Good news: Since it is the end of the year the insurance deductible is already met

Better news: We overestimated our FSA for the year and there is extra money we couldn’t seem to figure out how to spend–vision care, dental, and orthodontia are excluded.

Bittersweet news: Now we know how to spend it

Comments

1. Joanne says:

Ouch! Sorry things worked out so well to use up that money.

2. Kyran says:

I am not going to tempt fate by noting that we have not had a broken bone in this house of wheels and testosterone yet. Because that would be stupid beyond belief.

(poor baby…hope he feels better soon).

3. Arnebya says:

Broken? Damn. As for FSAs, I’m done for the year, mainly from ortho and co-pays. I’m glad you have an overage and something to put it toward so you don’t lose it. I don’t, however, envy you the reason for the use. At least he doesn’t look “that” uncomfortable.

4. Brigitte says:

How (in)considerate of him? ;-)

Now I can picture him making his siblings bring his presents over to his helpless, invalid self on Sunday!

5. Jen says:

You can’t use your FSA for vision, dental or orthodontia?

Hope the foot heals quickly. At least no crutches/cast in teh snow. A definite benefit to the south over the NE. Of course all we have had so far this year is rain any way.

6. Erin Christine says:

Ugh! This just made me cringe. I really feel for your son, and let’s face it, for you! This happened to me in September while I was running on a trail - I stepped on an exposed root the wrong way. I still can’t believe how something so simple caused so much damage. I don’t think I’ll ever forget the pain of that injury! And, I know that this son is very athletic…it is hard going from being so physically active to all the sudden having many limitations. I am truly sorry that this happened to him, and I hope his recovery goes well.

7. liz says:

Ouch! So sorry! I hope it heals quickly.

8. Carmen says:

That’s how my 17 year old was able to enjoy a four hour MRI.

9. Cheryl says:

Sorry about your son! But I want to know why vision, dental and orthodontia are excluded? Not in the federal FSA rules … does your plan exclude? If so, that’s not very nice of them! Those are the main things we use ours for (in addition to deductibles and copays …).

10. Lisa says:

Does he get a walking boot for Christmas? Fantastic - I’m certain it had to be on the top of his list already. ;-) Hope he’s feeling better soon - and no one else is allowed to injure themselves between now and the end of the year!

11. goddess says:

12. Beth says:

My son has broken his leg THREE times since October this year. The last time, he slipped on black ice and rebroke his fresh-from-a-cast leg (3 weeks out). When he did it the third time, I also did a little dance that at least it happened this year!

13. Ellen Renee says:

I am sorry to hear that - will be hard on him since he is so active and VERY hard on you keeping him entertained - EEEEK!Merry Christmas

14. Kim says:

Oh no!
    What would Christmas be without a trip to the ER?

Hang in there and