Not Better Together

Not Better Together

December 22, 2011

So this just happened at my house.

Kids: Can we rent Cowboys and Aliens?

Me, thinking a movie with this title must surely be a light hearted comedy: Okay!

About 15 minutes in.

Me: This doesn’t seem very funny so far.

Kids: …

I guess I should pay more attention to previews. But honestly, who had the idea for this movie? People like aliens and people like cowboys, lets put them together. It will be like the Reese peanut butter cup of movies! Except, NOT.

I feel markedly dumber having watched it.

At one point during the movie my 14 yr old said that he couldn’t believe they expected us to believe it was suddenly raining in the desert. I just looked at him. Because watching cowboys fight aliens in the wild west doesn’t require any suspension of belief.

Comments

1. stacey@Havoc&Mayhem says:

I’m with him. I’m perfectly willing to suspend disbelief about aliens, vampires, zombies, etc but rain in the desert is asking too much. It’s too normal a thing & I can’t disbelieve normal things. Things that are clearly fictional are another story

2. isaida says:

My hubby and boys watched this - stupidest. movie. ever. The title should have told them that!

3. Maggie says:

My family has a running joke about those kind of suspension of belief comments. The most famous is when my mom said “they would never leaves keys in a boat!” in the middle of Face/Off. So, she could accept that they exchanged faces, but not that key issue.

4. Cameron says:

HAHA! You have the same reaction as I did when my step-brother insisted I take him to see it. I was like someone had one of those off the wall dreams during a long illness and remember it and turned it into a movie.

5. Elizabeth W. says:

LOL. MY hubby loved this movie. Me? I spent my time washing dishes.

6. Elena says:

Ah, but the tailoring on Daniel Craig’s leather outfit as he turned to walk away…and the camera lingered on him…and he kept walking…as far as I was concerned that was all there was to the movie.