My Favorite Week of the Year

My Favorite Week of the Year

December 28, 2011

I feel like this week we can finally enjoy everything about the holidays. No rushing to buy presents. No wrapping things. No prep work. There is nothing that has to be done.

height=

The kids have all new toys to fight over play with.

height=

My daughter got one of those potholder looms. When my 15 year old son was about this same age he became obsessed with making potholders. Every single person we knew was given a potholder or twenty from him. One day I was making dinner and went to grab a pot holder out of the drawer and there was only a neat little stack of his homemade potholders. He had decided that I no longer needed any of those other ones and threw them all away.

To this day I have never bought new ones and I continue to use his little woven ones, cursing frequently when I burn my hands. Now that is love.

height=

My daughter also got a donut maker. Which really is just waffle maker with miniature donut shaped wells. She has made donuts every morning. Now we just need to figure out a recipe for her to make from scratch because the mix stuff she was using is disgusting, according to the children since I can’t eat it. Not so disgusting that they wouldn’t still eat it though. Because according to them, sugar sprinkled on the top makes anything palatable.

height=

Comments

1. Arnebya @whatnowandwhy says:

You have NO idea how hard I am laughing at Hungry Hungry Hippo. Perhaps one of my absolute favorite toys as a child that I forced…no, lovingly suggested…to my children (as I beat their pants off every time!).

2. Mrs. D. says:

We have the mini donut maker and get those Jiffy muffin mixes - and any other brand - where you just add water. Those are easy and make much better tasting donuts.

3. Kati says:

I feel this sentiment to my bones yet cannot express it to my family for fear of hurting their feelings. Yes, I love seeing everyone for the big holiday brunch. Yes, I love the presents and parties and decorating. But it all takes time and effort, largely coming from me. Add this to the end-of-semester grading and chaos that comes with being a high-school teacher, and I’m barely hanging on come December 25. This is the golden time, as you said - much lounging and playing and eating of copious leftovers. This is when vacation truly begins.

4. Kate says:

I’m 30 and my mother still uses potholders that I made as a kid. The trick is to find the loops that are a thicker cotton. They’re harder to work with but they make a potholder someone can actually use.

5. Theresa says:

Boxed cake mix or muffin mix works in the donut maker.

6. Gina G says:

Try this recipe, then even you can have some.

1 Box Betty Crocker Gluten Free Cake Mix
    1/4 cup Corn Oil
    1/2 cup 2% Milk
    1 egg

Make sure to spray the donut maker with cooking spray.

Got this from a friend and she says its a decent recipe.

7. elz says:

Proof that you are a nicer mom than I? Your children still have their Hungry, Hungry Hippo game. Mine got theirs taken away a LONG time ago-the fighting, the banging, the noise! Yeesh.

8. Lori says:

You could try tastykitchen.com for donut recipes. They have several baked donut options that would work for her donut maker.

9. Ellen W says:

I’m curious as someone else who has celiac (a year for me), how much separate cooking do you do for your kids? I still buy sandwich bread, goldfish, etc for my boys but about 90% of my meals and baking are gluten-free.

Chris says: Most dinners I make are gluten free, breakfasts and lunches are not.
    I almost never bake for myself, so baked goods are usually not gluten free.

10. Amanda @ Confessions From HouseholdSix says:

My 10yo son got a potholder maker too. I’m in the process of ordering more loops for him. There are directions in his on how to make a cube and a stuffed animal sleeping bag. His little brother wants a sleeping bag for his stuffie.

I bet a quick google search will yield some better donut recipes. I know a lot of people who bought those, and if the mix is that bad, I can’t imagine people are using it. I love the gluten free goddess, but I’m not sure if a cupcake batter would translate to donuts. They did make really yummy cupcakes when my celiac stepmom visited for my son’s bday.

11. Angie says:

We used to make those donuts at our church for coffee hour, when I was in youth group. Pancake batter works great. Especially with chocolate chips.

12. Christina says:

My son got the donut maker too, and I also thought they tasted like waffles. The glaze sweetens them up but I will stick to the ones from the donut shop.

13. Elizabeth McQuilkan says:

Hi there! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be okay. I’m definitely enjoying your blog and look forward to new posts.