The Baseball Girl

The Baseball Girl

March 30, 2012

height=

People always tell me that they feel sorry for my daughter because she has so many brothers. I never know quite how to respond, because I feel the opposite of sorry for her. Boys hold absolutely no mystery for her. She knows how to relate to them. In fact, she is very confused by some of the girl drama that already is going on at 8 years old.

This year she decided to play baseball. She is the only girl on her team. When people asked her how it is being the only girl in the dugout, she says it’s just like being at home. I wasn’t sure how she would fare athletically on the team, but I can now say confidently that she is not the worst player on the team. And, in fact, she is the fastest runner.

She confidently strides out to the plate, with her bright pink shoelaces, her crazy knee socks (the team ones are so boring, mom), and her braids. Everyone cheers for her. It’s hard not to admire all that spunk packaged into a tiny 45 pound body.

height=

Miles is on the team with her and whereas he would not recognize any of his team mates should he happen to see them not wearing the uniform and sitting on the bench next to him, my daughter knows all of their names. She knows where they go to school, what they like to do, how many siblings they have, their favorite color, what they ate for diner last week, their parents’ social security numbers… and I am only slightly exaggerating.

I don’t know that this changes much as boys and girls get older either.

Comments

1. Holli says:

LOVE her socks! Love her spirit! She will be more successful in life knowing how to hang with the boys!

2. Jamie says:

What fun for her! You can’t blame her for wanting to be part of a team, just as her brothers have all these years ahead of her. We have one girl on my 10 year old’s soccer team and she loves playing against the boys, too. Love the pink additions to the uniform!

3. Barb says:

You’re back! Thanks for the gigle. Your daughter is a gem.

4. jody says:

LOVE that girl! She is very lucky to have her bro’s. Tell her I am with her on the girl drama. It boggles my mind.

5. Billie says:

So awesome!

I’m very jealous that you are already having games. We don’t even start practicing until next week. :( Darn Ohio weather.

6. Katherine @ Grass Stains says:

I can’t imagine why anyone would feel sorry for her, either! We have three sons and a 6-month-old daughter, and I think she’s the luckiest girl in the world, no kidding.

7. Krista says:

My friend who has 4 sons and 1 daughter often gets the same thing. She tells me that she’s happy her daughter is the only girl. Her daughter shows very little of the typical ‘boy-craziness’ that her friends currently have. And my friend also loves the fact that by having grown up in a house full of boys, it’s going to take one very special guy to catch her daughter’s attention someday.

8. elsimom says:

I have a brother - but he is 16 years younger than I am - so I left for college when he was two. I am learning quite a bit about boys from my son - but I confess I often don’t “get” them. Also - I throw like a girl. I think your daughter has a real advantage!

Also - glad you are back!

9. liz says:

Awesome.

10. Leeann says:

So glad to see your blog back to being active. I know how it is, so don’t take it as a criticism. Mine has been languishing. ;-)

Love your daughter! I would have totally loved knowing her b/c I don’t get girl drama either. Still don’t.

11. Lisa Kay says:

I’ve been following your blog for what seems like ages and I’ve always thought, “What a lucky girl to have so many brothers for protection!” (Not that she NEEDS protection, but, dang, I wouldn’t want to pick on a girl with six brothers!) (Not that I would pick on a girl at all…OK, I’m going to stop rambling now.)

12. Beth says:

How funny! My daughter (with 5 brothers) is the exact same! In fact, it’s only now that she’s in middle school that I actually know what’s going on there. I know all about the teacher (who’s pregnant, who’s getting married), the kids, both boys and girls and the drama! She also doesn’t get it (and she’s 14)and refuses to take part in it. Her teacher called me today to tell me she was “student of the week” and said how refreshing it is to have a girl in her class who’s human! She also “gets” boys (she’s number 5 with a bro 1 year older and 1 year younger) and thinks she’s lucky ’cause so many of them hang at our house. The only problem is she keep going after the college aged one!

13. Rachel says:

I LOVE it! =)

14. Ami says:

Love her style, especially the pink laces. It was about time that someone brings a little colour in that team of blue. Way to go girl. By the way, I always thought your daughter and 11 year old look like twins…now I see so much more of your 2nd oldest in her…

15. SoMo says:

This maybe lame, but *LIKE*. I agree I think she is way ahead of the rest of us.

16. ememby says:

I think this is one of the sweetest posts I’ve ever read and one of the truest…

17. Jane C. says:

Good for her!! I hope she sticks with the crazy knee socks and pink laces.

18. Steff says:

Awesome and adorable in so many ways!

19. jadine says:

Fist-bump to the girl! Love the shoelaces :)

20. Jen says:

Awesome. Good for her.

In a way, what a beautiful and fun situation you get to watch unfold over the summer. How your two little ones interact and evolve within this team. Good for her, and may she continue to feel confident and forthright, not matter what the situation. Your kids are so beautiful!

22. Liesl says:

This just makes me smile :-).

23. amy says:

My daughter is also the only girl on her team, in a neighborhood league that doesn’t have softball. She has no sisters, only older brothers. I think it’s great; boys are not mysterious or glamorous to her at all. And while people always assume she must be a great player to be playing with the boys, she’s just average. Which is perfectly fine, as most of the boys playing are also just average. She does worship Justine Siegal, by the way.

24. ~Tammy~ says:

Enjoy them Chris. For every moment, for all it’s worth. I’ve left comments over the years… my six boys and one girl, and how funny that several of our kids share birthdays, if not birth years.
    March 10, I lost my second born.
    I don’t care if he was 30, headed to 31 on April 29… still, my son. So many may think… I have five sons left. But my heart cannot reason. you don’t have to publish the comment. but please, kiss every single one of yours today, while you have them.

Chris says:

Oh Tammy, I am so sorry. My heart truly aches for you. (((HUGS)))

25. Jay says:

I agree! I grew up with just my Mum, no brothers, no dad - and went to an all girls school. Boys were (and still are!) a mystery to me. I envy my daughter growing up with brothers, she know exactly how to handle (manipulate!) them.

26. Mylene says:

I LOVE the pic of her sitting with her brothers with her heart covered sock and pink laces - adorable :)
    P.S - My almost 4 year old weighs more than your 8 year old daughter does. Oi.

27. Cheryl M. says:

Wonderful post! And no it doesn’t change much as boys and girls get older…I have two boys and my third is a girl…I’m living the “older” version of your post. :)

28. Crissy says:

I love this. She’s awesome.

29. Brigitte says:

Good to see you didn’t disappear to go on a frenzied axe-murdering spree . . . except maybe in your head. Or is that only me? ;-)

30. Julie says:

One year while teaching at a small private school I had a male student who was sick. His sister came to tell me he would not be there that he was sick with the stomach flu. She then proceeded to tell me how many times he had been sick in the night and the last time he had thrown up.
    Later in the school year a female student was sick. I went to her brother’s classroom and asked where she was. He didn’t know. I asked if she was on the bus, didn’t know. Did he see her at breakfast? no Did they live in the same house? He knew nothing about where she was, or if she was sick. He thought she was at school.

31. Amy says:

chris,
    Your children are Really attractive. Plus they take Great pictures. I am suprised someone hasn’t offered a modeling contract for one or all of them!
    Glad your back, wholesome reading.
    Thanks!

32. s says:

That is just awesome - love this post!

We have a family in town with all boys and one girl, the dad coaches baseball, and his daughter has always played baseball and not softball. Girl power! But, I have yet to see a boy on a softball team!

33. Virginia says:

boys and girls so different! That is what makes raising them so much fun? So glad you are back.

34. Heidi says:

Talk about being worth a thousand words! Those pink laces say it all. Amazing picture!!

35. Sharon says:

I am very jealous that you get to watch these games in that glorious sun. It was so cold at my son’s game last night. The wind was relentless. The boys are never cold. I know it gets ungodly hot there, but baseball in NJ in the Spring is just unbearable sometimes.

36. Kathy says:

Love this! It’s true for my house too. My daughter, now in 8th grade, was homeschooled with all her brothers til 7th grade. Boys are nothing special to her. She relates to them so well. Prefers playing with them than all the girl drama that she’s just now trying to figure out. They like her, too, because she doesn’t fall all over herself around them. She’s comfortable, secure, and herself. I am hoping it all continues. God knows her brothers flip when they find out high school boys talk about her! Ha