The Prom

The Prom

April 30, 2012

I’m sure everyone who knows me personally is tired of hearing me talk about my baby going to the prom.

But guys…look at my baby. All dressed up in a tuxedo and heading to the PROM!

height=

(My son just told me that his friends think it looks like a photo that comes with the frame. Can’t stop laughing…)

My son’s girlfriend’s dress is short. But the consensus among my 40+ year old friends is that if we still had the bodies we had 25 years ago we would wear that dress. Truth be told if I could have my 18 yr old body back I would just walk around naked. And admire my ass in a three way mirror. I now have an appreciation of what 25 years of gravity, not to mention childbirth, does to a body.
height=

I discovered that I do not know how to attach a boutineer with that fancy straight pin. I felt so inept and unable to pass down important female knowledge to the next generation. I have a year to learn. And thirteen more proms in the future with which to master this so watch out world!

height=

The best photos I have of them is when they are laughing.

height=

The photos that they probably don’t really like as much as the posed ones.

height=

What no one tells you when your child has a long term girlfriend is that you grow to like then, to be attached to them in your own way. If they break up I would be upset because I really do adore her.

Height=

Comments

1. Carmen says:

Chris!!!!!! Oh my goodness! Prom already, where did the years go?!

They look adorable and I think it’s natural and lovely what you wrote about her. I have a male friend who is still friends with the 2/3 serious girlfriends that he had before meeting his wife, and his parents still include them in family celebrations. One of them had an awful upbringing, so I think it’s particularly wonderful for her having ’surrogate parents.’

2. Peg says:

Personally I’m not tired of prom talk at all. It’s nice to see that some traditions carry on and your ‘baby’ is quite dapper! Hope they had a good time and you didn’t stress too much.

3. Kyran says:

I just love these. I’ve never so much as glimpsed your kids offline, but it’s like watching the neighbor kids grow up. One day you glance out the window, and that little leaguer is dressed in a tux. Oh my.

Do you suppose we’ll all be posting wedding pictures someday?

4. Leeann says:

Wonderful pictures, handsome son, gorgeous girl.

Did I say handsome son? Because.. WOW!

5. Denise says:

They are beautiful.

And yes, it is very very hard when your kids break up with people you like. BUT, it’s harder when they date people you do NOT like.

There are opportunities to continue a relationship with a person your child has broken up with. However, it’s very hard to NOT have a relationship with someone your child is dating — even if he/she is an asshat. ;-)

6. tammie says:

Beyond adorable! He is so handsome, and she looks beautiful. Thank you for sharing, I can’t believe he’s going to the prom. Time flies….

7. Jamie says:

So fun! I love that he went with a white tux. I wore a black dress to my junior prom (in 1988) and my date wore a white tux, complete with top hat and cane!

8. Jackie says:

Great pictures. You are right on both accounts on the dress. To short but damn her and her 18yo body to be able to pull it off! haha Fantastic pictures. And YES you do get attached to the girls. It’s hard not to get attached to them. Well most of them. haha Some you are kind to and hope and pray they break up with them because it would SUCK if they ended up being an in law. haha

Your baby could be a model for sure. Oh and good luck on getting the hand of the straight pin. It’s a bitch!

9. Brianna says:

Your son looks so handsome! Great pictures. I love her dress.

I wanted to comment that when my high school boyfriend and I broke up, I missed his mom more than I missed him :) I still think about her!

10. Arnebya @whatnowandwhy says:

I love the last photo, because of its naturalness. And her dress. I LOVE HER DRESS for its simplicity, its refusal to scream PROM.

11. Mert says:

Given theri ages they will most likely break up. And it will break your heart too. I still miss my oldest son’s first girlfriend. She was just delightful. But they went to different colleges (and I’m glad they did) and couldn’t survive the distance.

12. Stephanie says:

love these!!! and yes… is sucks when they break up… but believe it or not… we’re still in touch with many of the ‘exes’. :)

13. Jay says:

Beautiful pictures, I hope they had a wonderful time.

Wow! I love the first one but it does look like it came in a frame. My favorite two are the last two.

15. Threewildthings says:

This is adorable in so many ways!

What a sweet couple your son and his girlfriend make and I love his suit — the white is a nice touch and a departure from the usual black tux. Great photography!

As a mom to three young boys under 7 years old, I have to say your writing lately has me fearing the teen years much less now. It *is* possible to raise mature, respectful young men who are a pleasure to hang out with and have sweet girlfriends too! What a fun time for you.

16. cynthia regan says:

I can so relate to this whole post..when my eldest son was dating his now wife, we all wanted custody of her if they ever broke up; would not only walk around nekkid but would consider posting it on fbook; so inept with formal attire that sons had to go to neighbor’s for tie help.
    Your man/boy looks very handsome!!

They look wonderful!!

They look wonderful!

19. Betsy says:

I have become attached to one of my daughters’ long-term boyfriend, and thankfully she married him. She did break up with one boy while she was still in high school, and then she ran into his mother at the bank and the mother was asking her “What happened? Why did you do this?” She was a better woman than I and resisted the urge to explain to mom what a jerk her son had been to his girlfriend.

20. Evie says:

Wow! What a moment! Great lookin’ couple.

21. Deb says:

I still keep in touch with some of my grown children’s former girlfriends, and my kids are fine with this, thankfully. Several were relationships that went on for a year or more. You get to know them and want to see how they are doing with their lives.

I’m not that far out on the prom years, but I am surprised by the dress. She looks great, but prom? I am getting old!

22. Brigitte says:

Awwww! They’re so adorable.

Though, even in my young and skinny days, I wouldn’t have worn a dress that short. I live in terror of people seeing my panties, and I’ve never quite mastered the art of sitting and rising while keeping my legs all ladylike-pressed-together. ;-)

23. Erin Christine says:

Stunning photography! My gosh, you have the most gorgeous children I have ever seen. Your son and his girlfriend look so happy and great together:-)

I can’t believe he is going to the prom. I still remember when you wrote a post to him on his 10th birthday… Love these glimpses into your life and seeing how much the kids have changed!

24. keri says:

Chris, LOVE the pics, especially the last one. They look so happy.

25. Kathy from NJ says:

What a wonderful couple! I love that they coordinated their shoes.

26. Yvonne says:

Believe it or not, I can still get my 43 year old body into a dress like that, it just requires a lot more underarmour to pull it off!

27. Lori says:

Love the pics! Gorgeous girl, handsome lad! The dress is great - she should definately go for it while you can! My daughter bought a short, short denim skirt her first year in college. Her friends asked what her mom would think - she knew I’d say go for it while you can. To tease her, they measured it’s length against a standard face/washcloth. The washcloth was longer…

28. hennifer says:

These photos are great. I love the play with black and white in their shoes!

I shared with a friend and said there is definitely a retro, classier 80’s vibe going on but I just see my daughter and want to add a couple inches lol

They really look like two classy, confident kids. Kudos to you and all the parents raising just great young adults.

29. Navhelowife says:

she looks so comfortable in her own skin. What a wonderful thing to be.
    And he looks just as comfortable. I wish them both much joy!

30. regan says:

Holy crap, he’s so grown up!

It’s amazing to me how much prom dresses have changed since I graduated. We were all about the very formal ball gowns. Now it’s so casual, short, and tight. Damn, I wish I had worn a dress like her’s.

31. jennifer says:

I love the pictures! And I can’t believe our kids are old enough for the prom. Mine is a junior, too. I know you are a proud mama.

32. Kate @ UpsideBackwards says:

What lovely pictures - I am sure you will all treasure them. Your son and his girlfriend are a beautiful couple!

33. Grace says:

Beautiful photos of a lovely couple! You captured the moment so wonderfully.

34. eko says:

WAH! Time flies! They are adorable, and no - even with my skinny body (way back when…) I would not have worn that dress, but I should have/could have as I KNEW how to sit all proper and legs squeezed. Ah - well. I hope they had a marvelous time and just enjoy their time together, whether it be brief or long-term. Ya done splendidly, Chris! He’s so handsome and seems to be quite the young man/gentleman.

35. Genevieve says:

Adorable.

36. Holli says:

He is drop dead gorgeous! I feel like I have watched him grow up because I have followed your blog for years! It makes me sad and happy at the same time!

37. Mary Watkins says:

I’m with you. If I looked like I did at 18 I’d get a spray tan and walk around naked. I love love love her shoes. I can’t believe my boy is going to be a senior neext year.

38. PamS says:

Your first ‘prom’ of 14? Such a handsome young man, such a nice looking couple. Aren’t you amazed at the sky high heels these girls are picking these days. Fabulous -
    really fabulous! Who knows if you’ll write for the next 12 years until Miles makes it to prom, but I look forward to seeing each prom ‘we’ do make it to!